PDA

View Full Version : Quick question

ex_matelot
16th Jan 2019, 00:19
A quick question If I may - to all those 'sky gods' with an aversion to natural fibres...

What does "hop" mean? Listening to a few transcripts and have heard it a few times.

Thanks.

:)

Ascend Charlie
16th Jan 2019, 06:09
Hop = sortie = flight = the bit between landings, including the landings. Also ingredient for drink favoured by sky gods.

Chris Kebab
16th Jan 2019, 06:46
...have been guilty of saying "..hop to stud 4" etc, in the past, i.e. go to another freq. I think it was probably supposed to be "chop"? Have you not been able to work it out from the context?

Wensleydale
16th Jan 2019, 06:54
A hop is a short flight from A to B: the origin is probably from the mid-war years when one could climb into your bi-plane (with girlfriend in tow of course) and hop over to France for lunch and a glass of something fizzy before coming home later in the day.

BEagle
16th Jan 2019, 07:26
A 'hop' doesn't need to be an A-to-B flight. All the training 'hops' in Top Gun began and ended at Miramar - apart from the one which ended in the Pacific.

Frequency hopping is entirely different to frequent hopping, of course.

Then there was the 30 mile annual hop in Tomkinson's Schooldays between Greybridge and St. Anthony's - a buddhist public school in Yorkshire....

strake
16th Jan 2019, 08:33
A hop is a short flight from A to B: the origin is probably from the mid-war years when one could climb into your bi-plane (with girlfriend in tow of course) and hop over to France for lunch and a glass of something fizzy before coming home later in the day.

I agree with the definition but in my case, it was the eighties and nineties... also not in a bi-plane :)

westhawk
16th Jan 2019, 08:37
In the movie American Graffiti, it was a dance. Or an event where young Rock & Roll infatuated teens gathered to dance. It was also a song:At the Hop

Bah-bah-bah-bah, bah-bah-bah-bah
Bah-bah-bah-bah, bah-bah-bah-bah, at the hop!
Well, you can rock it you can roll it
You can slop and you can stroll it at the hop
When the record starts spinnin'
You chalypso when you chicken at the hop
Do the dance sensation that is sweepin' the nation at the hopAh, let's go to the hop
Let's go to the hop (oh baby)
Let's go to the hop
Come on, let's go to the hopWell, you can swing it you can groove it
You can really start to move it at the hop
Where the jockey is the smoothest
And the music is the coolest at the hop
All the cats and chicks can get their kicks at the hopLet's go!
Ah, let's go to the hop
Let's go to the hop
Come on,…

But for military aircrews, it could also be a maintenance test flight. "Yeah, we gotta take 'er up for a test hop"

NutLoose
16th Jan 2019, 08:54
A short distance as in hop skip and jump

hop, skip, and a jumpA short distance, as in It's just a hop, skip, and a jump from my house to yours . This expression, dating from the early 1700s, originally referred to an exercise or game involving these movements, but by the mid-1800s was also being used figuratively for the short distance so covered.

https://www.dictionary.com/browse/hop--skip--and-a-jump

Wwyvern
16th Jan 2019, 09:41
Several years ago during the initial testing of a microlight amphibian, the test pilot was authorised by the CAA to perform "low hops" from the water. This authorisation was because of delays to the issue of an appropriate licence endorsement.

In this case, a low hop was a take-off from the surface of the water followed by a short flight at not above a few feet of the surface and a "landing" straight ahead,

KiloB
16th Jan 2019, 09:58
You mean like the last Victor flight?

Vendee
16th Jan 2019, 10:51
I think the OP might be referring to this sort of use at about 4.26 into this clip. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaW-eyrnixY&t=335s
The aircrew are being asked to check in after weapon release and you can hear the navs calling out "Delta hop"..... "Charlie hop".

NutLoose
16th Jan 2019, 11:16
You mean like the last Victor flight?

Naughty.......but nice :)

Timelord
16th Jan 2019, 14:49
The aircrew are being asked to check in after weapon release and you can hear the navs calling out "Delta hop"..... "Charlie hop".[/QUOTE]

I think this may be “Delta Off, Charlie Off” as in Off Target

As far as I have ever come across, “hop” is simply American slang for “trip”

ex_matelot
17th Jan 2019, 00:19
The aircrew are being asked to check in after weapon release and you can hear the navs calling out "Delta hop"..... "Charlie hop".

I think this may be “Delta Off, Charlie Off” as in Off Target

As far as I have ever come across, “hop” is simply American slang for “trip”
[/QUOTE]

Yes, I think this is most likely explanation.

Cheers Chaps!