PDA

View Full Version : RAF Flypast 1977 Finningley?

GLIDER 90
13th Jan 2019, 20:36
Does anyone know how long it took to plan the mass flypast at the Royal Review 1977 RAF Finningley. Did they do a few practise runs before the big day?

Innominate
13th Jan 2019, 20:58
At least two (probably full-scale) practices, and probably other individual element rehearsals. I was sitting at home in Bridlington when a fairly large formation (I think the Vulcan+ element) appeared, evidently having formed up over Flamborough Head. They came back a day or two later and then on the actual day. I thought I'd taken photos, but I've checked my slides and clearly I didn't; the ones I took at the public day don't show the formation I remember.

dook
14th Jan 2019, 12:51
I was in the "JP Big 25" formation.

If memory serves, we did one practice just as the 25 and not with the rest of the display.

The "whip" was busy for a while since many of the positions were unusual.

Busta
14th Jan 2019, 13:22
I used to know a girl like that

dook
14th Jan 2019, 13:26
….:D…………….

GLIDER 90
14th Jan 2019, 15:33
Dook

Do you remember the callsign of your formation, and any others of that mass flypast would be much appreciated.

dook
14th Jan 2019, 15:53
I would love to help you but I cannot remember.

ICM
15th Jan 2019, 08:39
I was the Nav on the VC 10 that day - and the story for 10 Sqn began by discovering that a first rehearsal had been flown and that the unit had not been included in the initial HQ STC Oporder. This omission was taken up the line, a change was made, and we slipped in behind a C-130 4-ship provided by the 4 squadrons then at Lyneham. My logbook shows:

26 May: A rehearsal, possibly just with the 4 Hercs,
30 June: Formation Rehearsal.
19 July: Leaders Rehearsal.
21 July: Full rehearsal.
27 July: Full Dress Rehearsal.
29 July: Royal Review Flypast. (XV 104)

Sorry, no recall of any special Callsign used. ( I have logged ASCOT Task numbers against other flights, but nothing against any of these flypast flights, so that may indicate we were not using one for Finningley.)

dook
15th Jan 2019, 09:31
GLIDER 90,

You could start a thread in the Mil section specifically alluding to the JP 25 formation.

Harry Wayfarers
15th Jan 2019, 10:58
I was in one of the four C130's with the VC10 up our chuff, I threw my ring up, never again :)

GLIDER 90
15th Jan 2019, 11:24
Dook

They won't let me into the Military Section, even through I'm ex airforce and spent 11 years in the aviation sector!!

ICM
Thanks for the info.

dook
15th Jan 2019, 11:52
I don't know why you can't access the mil thread - everyone else seems to be able to.

Would you like me to post there ?

GLIDER 90
15th Jan 2019, 11:59
Dook

Thanks for the offer, but will be alright at the moment.

Jhieminga
16th Jan 2019, 14:42
For reference purposes, the 'Strike Command element' is at 20:48 in the video on this page: https://www.forces.net/news/tri-service/our-archive-royal-air-force-royal-salute-1977
I have also added XV104's contribution to the event to my database :ok:

Doctor Cruces
19th Jan 2019, 22:51
The Support Command element gathered at Leeming for the event and did a couple or so practice flypasts before the big day. I was lucky enough to be able to fly on one of them in the cockpit of a Domini stood between the pilot and the PA. Such a long time ago, can't remember any of the callsigns. Being the Ops bod had it's perks occasionally. I do remember feeling agrieved at not getting a Jubilee Medal for all of the work I'd put in helping organise things at Leeming when loads of people who had done sod all towards it (as far as I could see) got them. It was quite an organisational task to get that Balbo into the air without snarling it all up. I do remember we had aircraft stacked all over the place!

VP8
8th Feb 2019, 10:02
I gave out the timing hacks from Ops at Finningley.

Scary job for a lowly SAC only been in 2 1/2 years

Busta
9th Feb 2019, 09:56
The Scampton contribution began practice in April, six sorties in total, starting with just three Vulcans, possibly adding a few "others" as time went by. There were two practices in July before the main event, the formation more or less at full strength. On the day I was the no 3 Vulcan, which happened to be XH558.

GLIDER 90
9th Feb 2019, 16:03
Busta

Can you remember your callsign on this formation, my hobby is collecting RAF callsigns during the 70's.

Busta
10th Feb 2019, 08:58
G90,
I can barely remember my wife's name let alone a formation callsign from 42 years ago! Within the Vulcan section I was know affectionately as number three, I suspect the 3 Jags clustered around me used more fruity language.

I'm sure someone will have it written down, good luck.