PDA

View Full Version : GLIDER LICENCE ?????

Pilotz
19th Apr 2001, 23:18
Hi . Im 15 & Training for my PPL @ Leeds Bradford...Ive been upto circuit standard for the last month or so and aparently my instructor says i cant go much further until my 16th birthday.

I would reallllly like to solo in any aircraft & therefore am enquiring about gliders.

Whilst i am unable to continue much further with the powered PPL flying ... I thought it might be possible to complete a GLIDER Pilots Course?

If anyone has any knowledge of flying gliders please could you answer the following..

1. How old must you be to solo, im 15, is that old enough?

2. How many hours would i have to train for until i could solo in the glider ?

3. would my training be shorter seen as i have many hours in powered aircraft logged?

4. how much is glider tuition per hour approx?

5. How much is the full glider pilots course?

Many Thanks! Pilotz

UhrCleared-Takeoff
20th Apr 2001, 00:10
In answer to your questions:

Solo age is 16 years in the UK

No licence is required and no minimum hours training in the UK, you fly solo when your instructor thinks you capable.

Power flying experience will help as you will have some experience of what the controls do. Gliders require better aileron/rudder coordination than power planes, and the circuit is somewhat different (only one chance to get it right!)

Prices vary from club to club depending on launching methods and gliders, however, most clubs have schemes for younger members.

Visit www.gliding.co.uk (http://www.gliding.co.uk) to find your nearest club!

The Hooded Claw
20th Apr 2001, 00:24
I see you're flying in yorkshire. If you're interested in gliding, try the Yorkshire Gliding Club at Sutton Bank. It's a fantastic place to fly and there are several schemes for younger members and students.

I can't remember the exact figures, but membership would be extremely cheap for you. Compared with powered flying, it works out a lot cheaper, especially if you winch launch. They also have a wooden single seater with free hire for students so all you have to pay for is the launch.

As has been pointed out, you still cant go solo untill you're 16, but there are a lot of things you can do in the mean time and there is the advantage of a club atmosphere.

They are desperate to attract new members and the two seaters are under utilised, so it might be worth giving them a ring.

Their number is 01845 597237 or the email address is www.ygc.co.uk (http://www.ygc.co.uk)

Eagle 1
20th Apr 2001, 00:47
Hi,
Try out the Air Training Corps, when you are 16 you can apply for a Gliding scholarship which gets you up to solo standard (all free!!!) you could also stay on then as a Staff cadet and earn your glider pilots wings. Before you are 16 you could also enjoy some free glider launches. check out the Air Training Corps website (via the RAF one)

Cheers

:)Eagle 1 :)

Pilotz
20th Apr 2001, 01:14
Hey Guys! Thanks for all the advice....The Solo @ 16 thing is a bit of a let down i suppose but the laws the law! And im sure that it will be all that more special having to wait another year for it! Thanks Guys!