PDA

View Full Version : Tupolev TU 144 or Concorde? Museum-Germany

L1011dal
11th Jan 2019, 00:57
On New Years I finally made it to Germany to see the Concorde and TU-144. A great museum in Sinsheim Germany where you get to go inside both aircraft that are mounted high up in the air. Highly recommend if you ever get a chance to go about just over an hour south of Frankfurt. What's your favorite and why or any interesting facts/comments related to these aircraft?

Made a video to share and for the memories
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLESwvdS-DE

vctenderness
11th Jan 2019, 16:13
They have another museum at Speyer which has some great aviation exhibits including a Lufthansa 747 suspended above the entrance with a Viscount just below it.

Great place

Volume
11th Jan 2019, 16:24
Unfortunately both supersonics are rotting away quickly...
If you look at the sorry state of some 10-15 years older aircraft in that museum, I am afraid both airframes will be lost within 20 years.
Luckily at least 7 Concordes are preserved indoor (Scotland, Bristol, Yeovilton, Duxford, Toulouse, Washington, Paris), for the Tu-144 the situation is worse. The one in Monino still looks OK after 30 years in the open...

ex82watcher
11th Jan 2019, 16:40
I was struck (well repelled actually) by the awful turquoise colour in the cockpit of the TU144,it made my eyes hurt.When I sat in the cockpit of a friend's Mig21 a few years ago,it was the same colour,so maybe it's standard for aircraft built in the USSR.

PAXboy
11th Jan 2019, 17:15
These museums are on my 'list'.
There is also Concorde G-BOAC now in it's own hanger at MAN.

tdracer
11th Jan 2019, 18:30
Unfortunately both supersonics are rotting away quickly...
If you look at the sorry state of some 10-15 years older aircraft in that museum, I am afraid both airframes will be lost within 20 years.
Luckily at least 7 Concordes are preserved indoor (Scotland, Bristol, Yeovilton, Duxford, Toulouse, Washington, Paris), for the Tu-144 the situation is worse. The one in Monino still looks OK after 30 years in the open...

The Concorde at the Seattle Museum of Flight isn't technically indoors, but it is undercover.

TEEEJ
11th Jan 2019, 18:30
I was struck (well repelled actually) by the awful turquoise colour in the cockpit of the TU144,it made my eyes hurt.When I sat in the cockpit of a friend's Mig21 a few years ago,it was the same colour,so maybe it's standard for aircraft built in the USSR.

See following link.

https://aviation.stackexchange.com/questions/16434/why-are-russian-cockpit-panels-painted-in-turquoise

Pontius Navigator
11th Jan 2019, 18:38
you will see that colour in many aircraft. In WW2 a B29 landed in Russia. Stalin ordered that they copy it exactly. They did, including the colour of the inside. A second landed, different colour but orders were ordered. A third had half and half but . . .

Maybe that was the colour in that B29.

Pontius Navigator
11th Jan 2019, 18:40
They have another museum at Speyer which has some great aviation exhibits including a Lufthansa 747 suspended above the entrance with a Viscount just below it.

Great place
Don't remember the 747,but a great way to compare the two SST. Loved the Ju52 though.

ex82watcher
11th Jan 2019, 18:49
Thanks for that linc TEEJ,there is then,a scientific reason for it.Still don't like it though !

Wyvernfan
11th Jan 2019, 20:39
From a patriotic point of view Concorde is a masterpiece. But oh boy, just like most Russian aircraft the TU-144 is absolutely fascinating.
I so wish we had one in the UK.

overfly
12th Jan 2019, 22:16
Don't remember the 747,but a great way to compare the two SST. Loved the Ju52 though.

it's been there 15 years, can hardly miss it!
Interesting little vid how they got it there...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55-gLrWjGPo

PAXboy
13th Jan 2019, 03:42
overfly it's been there 15 years, can hardly miss it!
Not really, the SSTs are at Teknik Museum Sinsheim and the Queen of the Skies is at Teknik Museum Speyer and the venues are (I think) about an hour's drive apart.

Autobahnstormer
17th Jan 2019, 11:28
My (then) brother-in-law was working at Baden, formerly CFB Baden, when it landed on it's final flight. The pilot did two flypasts to satisfy the tens of thousands of spectators who had gathered to watch it land. The crowds were nearly as large when it was transported by road at the dead of night, the wings outboard of the engines and fin were removed but it was still a tight squeeze under the Autobahn bridges which were lined with thousands of spectators.

I visited the Museum about a month after it had arrived and it was complete again but not yet in its final position on the roof of the museum. I overheard a German visitor remark in amazement how wonderful an aircraft that the French built - naturally I was forced to correct him, that it was an Anglo-French project and BA were still flying them. I felt quite smug afterwards...

Finally, there is a full-sized Concorde replica at the Leo Junior Museum at Hermeskeil, it is used as the cafe but still impressive as you arrive at the museum to see a Concorde sitting outside.