PDA

View Full Version : Stuck

shanepinheiro
9th Jan 2019, 11:57
I'm hoping someone here can provide some insight/advice into this whole matter, as I'm confused as to what would be the best way forward.

Some background. I currently live in Florida, in my last semester of my undergraduate degree, and have a FAA Multi-Engine Commercial Licence with my Instrument Rating. I am also currently working on my CFI. My goal when I began the CFI training was to work at the school that I am currently doing the undergrad at under Optional Practical Training when my F1 Student Visa expires in August this year (Not U.S. Citizen or permanent resident.) I have dual nationality between a country in the Caribbean, and the United Kingdom.

I'm currently thinking about either staying in the U.S. and working as a CFI for 1/2 years before moving on to an airline job somewhere in the World, or converting my licenses to a frozen EASA ATPL with Florida Institute of Technology, and trying to get a job in the U.K with the hours that I would have at that point in time (roughly 250/260).

I would rather not CFI if there's a possibility of a job flying instead of teaching in the U.K, but at the same time I don't want to end up moving to the U.K. and not being able to get a job, or being stuck with EASA and Brexit bureaucracy.

Does anybody see any clear cut way forward, or the best way to go about this?

How's the hiring currently in the U.K. for low hour pilots? I know Jet2/Flybe/Ryanair are hiring, but what would be the chances at one of those airlines?

Thanks for anybody's help.

byrondaf
20th Jan 2019, 07:56
If you want to end up in the UK eventually then convert your licence first and then start about finding a job. A few years back at CTC, now L3, they would hire instructors for 18 months on the premise of allowing those that wished to then be put forward for an interview with a partner airline. One of our instructors was on our type rating course, so that's an option.

Otherwise just doing what everyone else does and applying to the usual low cost suspects, mainly Ryanair, Jet2 and Flybe. It's competitive and hard work, but everyone I know that didn't make the grade at CTC managed to find a job through another avenue. Hiring in the UK is always good for low hours guys/girls if you persist. It will be impossible to line up a job opportunity from where you are at the moment, so you'll have to take a leap of faith and do your best. If it means having to take other employment whilst finding a job then you won't be the first down that road nor the last.

Best of luck.

gbotley
21st Jan 2019, 21:54
Hey there!

Before you do anything remotely job like you'l need to consider obtaining those ATPL exam passes. These are a condition of any employment as an airline pilot over here. Having recently secured a job on jets in the UK I can tell you that while the market is rife, competition is fierce. Ryanair have hired a lot of my peers and easyJet now has its own low-hour program direct (separate to the larger schools) too so there are opportunities. If you don't have the rights to live in the U.S. then I'd say that in itself should point you in the right direction. :-)

All the best with what you decide to do! :-)