PDA

View Full Version : ICAO English, native speaker.

nord121
6th Jan 2019, 18:22
Hello,

I am currently doing an intense PPL in Hungary and their seems to be some discussion at my ATO as to whether I need to take my ICAO English examination. I am a native Brit, however one instructor (not the one I’m currently paired with) seems to think I need to do the exam.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me/ link the appropriate legislation?

Cheers.

youngretired
6th Jan 2019, 19:06
Yes you do need it. Also you already a native speaker and if you get level 5 you will fail it :)

RHSandLovingIt
6th Jan 2019, 19:54
It doesn't matter where you were born or live... fairly sure that everyone needs to have an English language proficiency endorsed on their licence. Minimum is Level 4. FCL-055 is what you're looking for in terms of legislation.

FCL.055 Language proficiency
(a) General. Aeroplane, helicopter, powered-lift and airship pilots required to use the radio telephone shall not exercise the privileges of their licences and ratings unless they have a language proficiency endorsement on their licence in either English or the language used for radio communications involved in the flight. The endorsement shall indicate the language, the proficiency level and the validity date

As a "native speaker", about the only benefit you get is that you're likely to end up level 6 and never have to do it ever again.

nord121
6th Jan 2019, 20:01
It doesn't matter where you were born or live... fairly sure that everyone needs to have an English language proficiency endorsed on their licence. Minimum is Level 4. FCL-055 is what you're looking for in terms of legislation.

As a "native speaker", about the only benefit you get is that you're likely to end up level 6 and never have to do it ever again.

Thank you for your reply, I best get it over with then and go have a nice chat with someone!

parkfell
7th Jan 2019, 11:53
If you continue and do your CPL/IR, if the examiner is approved by the UK CAA, then they can issue the level6 as part of their approval.