PDA

View Full Version : G-suits and G-tolerance strain injuries?

Wokkafans
5th Jan 2019, 09:43
An admittedly odd question but did early methods to enhance G tolerance, such as straining and grunting, increase the risk of strain-induced injuries such as inguinal hernia or similar?

Has the risk since declined or been eliminated with the introduction of G-suits?

Was pooping the suit not unknown?

Runaway Gun
5th Jan 2019, 11:29
How much are you willing to pay for the photos?

Just This Once...
5th Jan 2019, 13:51
Classic g-suits don't really give you much extra G, adding about 1~2G depending on type and fit. They do give you a nice reminder about G coming on (especially helpful when 2-seat) and it is always better to start your g-straining early than fighting your way out of a black & white tunnel. More advanced systems with more coverage add yet more protection, even if it does feel odd having your feet squeezed or air pushed into your lungs; but the humble g-straining technique still has its place.

It's quite a while since I flew repetitive 9G Hawk sorties with different bits of AEA; but other than burst blood vessels in my eyes from G-reversal I didn't suffer anything beyond tingling hands and a stiff neck. One of the taller (and older) guys struggled with haemorrhoids though. As he had never experienced them before he thought he was dying of something horrendous and most of his AEA was written-off. Above all, regular exposure to G did wonders for your individual tolerance and technique; something that may be missed with the dash for cheaper synthetic flying.

57mm
5th Jan 2019, 16:05
9g in a Hawk, didn't know they went that high.

Edmund Spencer
8th Jan 2019, 07:01
Oh yes!! Pulled up from low level with a bit too much enthusiasm once. Nearly damaged my instructor.

BEagle
8th Jan 2019, 07:12
In the early days of the Hawk T Mk 1, pulling +8g was quite common. However, BWoS noted this with some alarm, because it was eating up fatigue life rather rapidly....
"You're pulling much more G than you did in the Hunter*", they said
"Correct"
"But why?"
"Because we can!"

But a lower G limit was then imposed on 4 FTS, although IIRC the CFS Hawk course did one trip which included a +8g event.

*(I did once pull +8g in a Hunter T7, which didn't impress my QFI. No damage to the Hunter though!)

Tashengurt
8th Jan 2019, 07:16
I think the RAF SAM Hawk was regularly used for 9g sorties for AEA and aeromedical trials.

Stitchbitch
8th Jan 2019, 11:58
Haemorrhoids seemed to be a popular complaint, although I never had to scrap any kit due to ‘Below the waist’ fails, but plenty due to MPs vomiting in the back of T birds - thanks to over enthusiastic stick monkeys feeding them prior to pulling 9Gs..

Imagegear
8th Jan 2019, 12:44
It is my understanding that headgear makes a much better repository, especially when occupying the rear of a two seater.

IG

Mil-26Man
8th Jan 2019, 13:37
Was pooping the suit not unknown?

Exhibit A:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwCAiF61lM0

longer ron
8th Jan 2019, 20:34
9g in a Hawk, didn't know they went that high.
8.99 G was/is the official limit for the RAFCAM Hawks for doing high G training and trials work.Usually achieved during a descending turn I believe.
When I was working with them I did quite a few Airframe overstress checks over the years but generally the pilots were very accurate and I took my hat off to them !
The Airframes were not modified or beefed up for the 9G work but merely given a slightly higher limit/threshold for overstress checks.
The highest reading I saw whilst at BD was (I think) 10.2G - but that was not on a RAFCAM Hawk :)