PDA

View Full Version : employment in Panama

druglord
31st Jul 2002, 21:02
Anybody know what it takes to get employment in Panama...ie charter flying? Do they take FAA licenses or is a lengthy conversion required? Do they employ or need expats? I just like the look of the place...looks like it'd be fun to fly out of.

Panama Jack
1st Aug 2002, 02:19
Unless you have Panamanian citizenship or happen to have a fair amount of B-737 Command time (for a contract), fat chance. There is a U.S. company operating as "diplomatic" for the U.S. Government out of the Tocumen airport, but they have downsized and won't be looking for people.

druglord
1st Aug 2002, 22:40
Thanks for the info anyway. Panama jack...what about any of the other latin american countries...do you know what the situation is with them...salvador,belize etc.?

Panama Jack
1st Aug 2002, 23:48
Belize is one of the few countries in Latin America where foreigners are regularly hired. The opportunities are limited though if you have big airplane envy. The route there is you get hired, then they will convert your licenses and get your work permit-- all of which your company will arrange.

As for the rest of the countries, most have old regulations which were last ammended in the 1950's or 60's. They establish that to even hold a professional license you must be a citizen of that country. Given that the flying opportunities are limited in those countries, the locals tend to guard the positions for themselves.

druglord
5th Aug 2002, 23:22
Thanks again. Are you an ex-pat? Not really after big planes...just charter piston/turbo. But I was guessing it would probably be the case. Well my just have to make it a holiday destination

Panama Jack
6th Aug 2002, 23:47
I was. Believe me, for all the time, money and effort I spent finding my job in Latin America I would have probably had a few jobs in my home country. Then again I don't regret my time in C.A., undoubtably some of the best days of my career-- but not something to base a career on.

Freak On A Leash
7th Aug 2002, 11:26
Anybody got any links to Belize operators, or is it the kind of "knock on our door and if we like your face we might put you on the line" deal?

Panama Jack
8th Aug 2002, 19:18
Well, from what I've heard if your in the right place at the right time that always takes preference over a stack of resumes.

www.tropicair.com
www.mayaislandair.com

There are a couple other mom & pop companies-- these 2 are the "major airlines" of Belize.

onmyway
10th Sep 2002, 02:13
:cool:

VneII
3rd Oct 2002, 02:41
Drug Lord

How are you mate??? I find you in the weirdest places. Hope things are going well!

I have left YBRM and now in YPKA but looking for work in the Caribbean, where are ya and how's it going?

VneII