PDA

View Full Version : Sheffield Memorial / flypast ideas

Nantucket Sleighride
2nd Jan 2019, 13:45
BZ to this chap who has tended the memorial in a Park in Sheffield since witnessing the crash as an 8 year old.
there's a request to arrange a flypast on the 75th anniversary, would be great if this could happen

link to Dan Walker's tw@tter

Wander00
2nd Jan 2019, 13:56
A bit more information would be useful

Nantucket Sleighride
2nd Jan 2019, 14:19
A bit more information would be useful

apologies, if you click on the tweet above it takes you to a twitter thread by Dan Walker host of BBC breakfast who came across this chap in a Sheffield Park today, he was playing in the park as an 8 year old when a US aircraft crashed with the loss of all on board, and he has been tending the memorial.

Mr Walker encountered him sweeping up today, the gentleman has commented that it would be nice to arrange a flypast on the 75th anniversary on 22 Feb this year.

1.3VStall
2nd Jan 2019, 17:28
Get in touch with Lakenheath!

Pontius Navigator
2nd Jan 2019, 18:27
I checked the Lakenheath website. You need to contact the embassy:

http://london.usembassy.gov/dao/index.html

langleybaston
2nd Jan 2019, 19:07
I would be very hopeful of a successful outcome. This is the sort of thing our best friends are very good at. Also good PR for them.

Nantucket Sleighride
2nd Jan 2019, 20:07
Mr Walker is now in touch with the RAF and the US Embassy, so fingers crossed for a good outcome.

Great to see a positive use of social media to try and make something good Happen 👍

NutLoose
3rd Jan 2019, 11:39
Sally B would be an ideal choice but I would think she will be on her winter maintenance

NutLoose
3rd Jan 2019, 11:40
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6553027/Pensioner-tends-Second-Wold-War-memorial-sparks-calls-fly-past.html

Wander00
3rd Jan 2019, 14:42
Good luck to them. Hope it comes off. Worth involving nearest RAFA Branch

renard
3rd Jan 2019, 14:44
I remember coming across this memorial while at Uni in 1989.

Would be great if they do get a flypast.

this is my username
3rd Jan 2019, 15:00
I lived just around the corner from Endcliffe Park until a few years ago - I recall there was a fairly full-on ceremony there each year which included an Officer from the USAF so the site is well known to the Americans.

PARALLEL TRACK
3rd Jan 2019, 20:06
Saw them filming today! Visited the memorial also.

1.3VStall
4th Jan 2019, 09:16
The story was on BBC Breakfast earlier - well done Dan Walker and good luck Tony!

NutLoose
4th Jan 2019, 09:36
https://forum.keypublishing.com/forum/historic-aviation/3845497-sheffield-ww2-crashed-bomber-fly-past-campaign-starts

Navy_Adversary
4th Jan 2019, 15:03
I watched the BBC Breakfast slot this morning, I don't mind admitting that my eyes watered up somewhat.
What a smashing bloke.

AllTrimDoubt
5th Jan 2019, 14:52
I was taken aback by this gentleman's devotion and commitment. Equally with Dan Walker's empathy and reporting. I gather things are moving now to hopefully ensure recognition as requested. BZ all involved.

Fatjoff
8th Jan 2019, 12:02
You probably don't know, but RAFA organizes a memorial every year on the nearest Sunday, to which the USAF sends a representation from RAF Menwith Hill, with a senior officer laying a wreath. I haven't been myself, but I understand many local dignitaries attend this annual service of commemoration, including the Lord Lt for S Yorkshire. The BBC has made no mention of this. I believe this has upset the local RAFA a little. The campaign to have a flypast on the day of the anniversary threatens to put a spoke in the wheel of arrangements made thus far. Sunday itself is a no fly day at Lakenheath, which is no surprise, particularly at this time of year.

Perhaps expectations need to be managed.

Treble one
8th Jan 2019, 12:20
Sally B would be an ideal choice but I would think she will be on her winter maintenance

Indeed she is, safely in H2 North at IWM Duxford. Its the sort of thing that Ellie would do if she could I'm sure though.

Ddraig Goch
22nd Jan 2019, 06:44
There will be a news item on this subject after 8:00 (UK time) on BBC Breakfast show this morning.

Tay Cough
22nd Jan 2019, 07:20
There will be a flypast on 22nd February.

Fatjoff
22nd Jan 2019, 08:23
Just watched it on the BBC. I thought it was a good piece of TV, though sadly again no mention of the annual commemorative service which will take place the following Sunday. Tony does an excellent job of tending the site, but the reporting made it seem as if Tony is the only person who cares, which rather devalues the fine work of the members of Sheffield RAFA, and of the US servicemen and others who support this annual event. But as I said, a good piece of TV.

Details of the flypast were scant, leading us to believe it will be a F-15. Perhaps the full detail is still on close hold, but I suggest if you're in the area, it might be worth a look up.

Prepare for some major disruption on 21/22 Feb if, as the US Ambassador alluded, POTUS comes to town.

Tay Cough
22nd Jan 2019, 09:43
POTUS is apparently coming over for the D-Day commemoration in June so perhaps not in Feb.

Wander00
22nd Jan 2019, 15:23
On the piece from Lakenheath looked like a pilot with RAF flying badge" - if so you can imagine the conversation with his desk officer. "OK, Bloggs, have got you and exchange posting with the USAF".

"Great, where to?"

"Lakenheath".....

Tech Guy
22nd Jan 2019, 22:40
I watched the BBC Breakfast slot this morning, I don't mind admitting that my eyes watered up somewhat.
What a smashing bloke.

Indeed. Must be something contagious in the air.
Well done Mr Foulds.

Seems there is some "serious support" from our American cousins.
The US ambassador has got involved too

Pozidrive
24th Jan 2019, 10:46
Just watched it on the BBC. I thought it was a good piece of TV, though sadly again no mention of the annual commemorative service which will take place the following Sunday. Tony does an excellent job of tending the site, but the reporting made it seem as if Tony is the only person who cares, which rather devalues the fine work of the members of Sheffield RAFA, and of the US servicemen and others who support this annual event. But as I said, a good piece of TV...

Personally, I would hate to see that discreet and dignified event turned into a media circus.

Good of you to point out that others are involved with this, and always have been since the memorial was erected in 1969.

Treble one
24th Jan 2019, 10:58
On the piece from Lakenheath looked like a pilot with RAF flying badge" - if so you can imagine the conversation with his desk officer. "OK, Bloggs, have got you and exchange posting with the USAF".

"Great, where to?"

"Lakenheath".....

Dunno Wander. I'd quite like an exchange tour on the F-15 personally, even at Lakenheath. :-)

mymatetcm
30th Jan 2019, 00:42
a bit more info on the crash, laid a wreath at a service there in 2012
https://www.thestar.co.uk/retro/retro-the-10-amigos-who-fell-from-the-sky-1-6448835

https://sheffieldnewsroom.co.uk/news/moving_interviews_mi_amigo/

Navy_Adversary
21st Feb 2019, 09:21
BBC Breakfast today reminded viewers about tomorrows flypast for Tony over Sheffield. I think they will be live at Lakenheath at 0845 for departures and a time over Sheffield of 0855.
No doubt a BM will be able to add more, I have not had time to look at NOTAMS.

Chugalug2
21st Feb 2019, 10:04
Featured on Beeb website here:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-south-yorkshire-47156632

Bravo Alpha One
21st Feb 2019, 12:27
In the early 60s, a friend of my aunt had a cafe at the foot of that hill and we often used to visit. There was nothing at all to mark the crash site, but people still remembered it.

Chugalug2
21st Feb 2019, 13:22
YouTube video of 2018 ceremony. well done Sheffield RAFA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbA5wKEK1JM

NutLoose
21st Feb 2019, 14:12
The “Mi Amigo” flypast, led by a sole F-15 is tomorrow (22nd Feb) at 8.45am. The aircraft expected to take part in this historic event include F-15’s, Typhoons, Ospreys and a Dakota but will be dependent on the weather.

The aircraft have been marked with the names of the Mi Amigo crew.

The BBC will be broadcasting live from the park from 6am to 9.15am on Friday, and visitors are encouraged to arrive at the park anytime from 7.15am. A memorial service will take place from 8am, with a Bugler playing one verse of Amazing Grace. There will be a reading from St John’s Gospel by a Royal British Legion and a bugler will play the Last Post and Reveille, followed by the flypast at 8.45am.

The best viewing area will be in the large field close to the Endcliffe Park café, where a big screen will be set up to relay events to the crowd.

https://forum.model-space.co.uk/default.aspx?g=posts&t=30809

Chugalug2
21st Feb 2019, 14:34
Nutloose, I hope that tomorrow's BBC coverage is somewhat less self congratulatory than this piece from January. The point of the memorial, the remembrance, of Tony Fould's devotion over the decades, of RAFA Sheffield's annual ceremony, is all rather lost in the glee of the Beeb's "Surprise!" revelation moment.

I strongly agree with Fatjoff above. The point is that it isn't about the Beeb, then, now, or tomorrow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-f1jL40O_4

MG
22nd Feb 2019, 07:05
Good to see that BBC Breakfast have turned it into a circus rather than the commemoration that it is. I had low expectations and they have failed to achieve them; turned it off.

simmy
22nd Feb 2019, 07:52
Hear Hear MG

Homelover
22nd Feb 2019, 07:52
Putting aside the slightly self-congratulatory nature of the reporting thus far, the Strike Eagles flying Missing Man was very touching. BZ to all involved for pulling it together at short notice.

Arfur Dent
22nd Feb 2019, 08:02
Perfectly timed pull-up by the F15 into the "Missing man" formation. Powerful, touching and poignant moment. Well done.

Evalu8ter
22nd Feb 2019, 08:16
Watched it with the sound down until the last moment. Usual banal offerings from the Journos, but still a fitting tribute well executed (although the Typhoon/KC-135 spacing looked "interesting"). Agreed, the Mud Hens did missing man superbly - nice touch to put the crew names on one of the jets and to RTB via Madingley. To be fair to the journos, they did seem quite caught up in the emotion of it all….

Herod
22nd Feb 2019, 08:32
As usual, the military doing everyone proud. Suffering from grit in the air here.

NutLoose
22nd Feb 2019, 08:34
Did hope to see them depart past us but alas no, even brought in the box brownie,
Planes that took part in fly-past

F-15E Strike Eagles from RAF Lakenheath
KC-135 Stratotanker
MC-130J Commando II
CV-22 Osprey from RAF Mildenhall
Typhoon from RAF Coningsby
Dakota from RAF Coningsby

That turnout puts RAF Cosfords airshow to shame in a few of the past years.

You can watch it here

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1090779/Sheffield-flypast-live-video-RAF-2019-Endcliffe-Park-memorial-anniversary-BBC-watch

.. (https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1090779/Sheffield-flypast-live-video-RAF-2019-Endcliffe-Park-memorial-anniversary-BBC-watch)

charliegolf
22nd Feb 2019, 08:46
To all the media whiners. Without 'banal journos' there would be no flypast and no story. Now the whole country knows about it, not least those people of Sheffield who had no idea. Charlie Stayt talking balls for a bit... that's ok.

CG

Herod
22nd Feb 2019, 08:49
Queen's Birthday Honours?

ORAC
22nd Feb 2019, 08:49
42-31322 | American Air Museum in Britain (http://www.americanairmuseum.com/aircraft/5406)

Penny Washers
22nd Feb 2019, 09:01
Queen's Birthday Honours?

I should think that Ellie Sallingboe deserves one for keeping her B-17 active for so many years.

CargoMatatu
22nd Feb 2019, 10:21
To all the media whiners. Without 'banal journos' there would be no flypast and no story. Now the whole country knows about it, not least those people of Sheffield who had no idea. Charlie Stayt talking balls for a bit... that's ok.

CG

Charlie Stayt always does! He's one of the main reasons I can't watch BBC Breakfast any more!

Yellow Son
22nd Feb 2019, 10:40
I appreciate the programme focus was on the flypast, and the old gentleman who has a story to tell, but I would have been interested to learn more about the circumstances of the crash. I don't expect a reliable report from a child 75 years after the event (and that's not meant as a criticism), but I wonder if there were any other eye witnesses, or was there any kind of official report at the time? If, as I heard someone say, Mi Amigo was on one engine then I guess her options were pretty limited. But if - as I also found - she was based at Chelveston, what was she doing over Sheffield? There's clearly a story to be told. All I have been able to discover is that the B17 was on her way back from a raid.

The Oberon
22nd Feb 2019, 11:03
I appreciate Dan Walker's initial publicity and efforts to commemorate the occasion but the way in which it was presented was a disgrace. As MG said, they presented it not as a commemoration but as a circus.

ORAC
22nd Feb 2019, 11:06
USAAF B-17 42-31322 ?Mi Amigo?, Endcliffe Park, Sheffield ? aircrashsites.co.uk (http://aircrashsites.co.uk/air-crash-sites-5/usaaf-b-17-42-31322-mi-amigo-endcliffe-park-sheffield-2/)

On 22 February 1944 Flying Fortress ‘Mi Amigo’ crashed in this public park in Sheffield with the loss of all 10 crew men on board.

The B-17 had been on a raid on the German airfield at Ålborg in occupied Denmark (apparently Ålborg has the unwanted distinction of being the first city in the world to be taken by paratroopers). The airfield was home to Fw 190s and Bf 109s.

These attacked the B-17s overhead, and pursued ‘Mi Amigo’ as bombardier Second Lt Hernandez, aware of the Danish civilians below, was unable to release the bombs due to cloud cover obscuring the target.

Pilot First Lt Krieghauser’s aircraft was badly damaged by the attacking fighters. The bombs were released harmlessly over the North Sea as the B-17 limped back towards base in Northamptonshire.

It is probable the navigation and communication equipment was out of service, and that some of the crew were dead or wounded from the attack. For whatever reasons, ‘Mi Amigo’ ended up 80 miles off course and circling low over the city of Sheffield.

In Endcliffe Park, kids playing football watched as an engine finally cut, a wing dipped and the aircraft spiralled down into a wooded knoll next to the playing field. It is possible First Lieutenant Krieghauser was considering a crash landing on the playing field. This might also account for why some of the crew at least didn’t bail out. Eye witness accounts at the time (and there were many) are extremely harrowing and there seems no point in repeating them here.

The memorial is surrounded by 10 American oaks planted in 1969, one for each crew member.

ORAC
22nd Feb 2019, 11:09
https://www.amazon.co.uk/COURAGE-ABOVE-CLOUDS-HEROIC-Courage-ebook/dp/B00KUTRBDK

COURAGE ABOVE THE CLOUDS: THE TRUE HEROIC STORY OF THE CREW OF B17 'MI AMIGO' (Courage in the Skies) Kindle Edition

orca
22nd Feb 2019, 11:30
As ever - just my opinion.

I appreciate - but disagree with - the views of those who would have favoured a more ‘measured’ occasion.

Who are we to cast a critical eye on how it was done?Be grateful that it was done.

Any act of remembrance is better than none. Those boys and plenty like them were part of a fight that took place so people such as the journalists and civilians would never need to understand what warfare actually entailed.

Speaking as as someone who was very conscious whilst deployed that no one back home gave two hoots about the campaigns we were fighting.

Would love to get the 135/ Typhoon debrief if anyone has it.

weemonkey
22nd Feb 2019, 13:20
Bloody good that. The eagle pulling up and punching away so, so evocative.
Great turn out from the public and the fallen were remembered and honoured.
And that is all that is important.

Asturias56
22nd Feb 2019, 14:57
Very well done I thought watching the UTube video - and real people organising it - no "stars", politicians, media people and other low life - just a genuine tribute

Chugalug2
22nd Feb 2019, 17:56
The Breakfast programme for 22/02/2019 is available here until 0915 23/02/19. Flypast starts 2hr:20min in :-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0c3b5yx/breakfast-22022019

This 4K edited version posted on YouTube:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8QV7IeoNxY

Well done to all involved in the flypast!

TaccoHell
22nd Feb 2019, 18:26
To Tony Foulds and all those involved in the flypast - chapeau!

NWSRG
22nd Feb 2019, 18:46
Just asking as someone from little Northern Ireland...was the RAF officer who was interviewed also an Ulsterman?

oldmansquipper
22nd Feb 2019, 19:01
For once the meejah have shown that there is still some intelligent life in its ranks.

Presentation from Sheffield was a bit themeparkish but in doing it that way it did show respect in a way that even 'yoof' can understand.

These days I am no fan of the Beeb and the Breakfast and One shows in particular. I feel the main presenters are banal and unprofessional. Stayt, Marchetti,Jones et al - do not float my boat at all. But I was moved to see even 'roughy toughy northern lass Steph' brushing away several tears today. Good that she could not see me doing similar.

It would indeed be deserved if the old boy who has looked after the memorial all these years was to be officially recognised in the Honours List. Much more deserved, than an aging druggie singer or a corrupt businessman?

The missing man formation was most effective. Well done and thank you USAF.

Yellow Son
22nd Feb 2019, 20:08
Thanks, Orac. Just for interest sake, here is something I found on a 'USAAF Losses' website at 1942 USAAF Serial Numbers (42-30032 to 42-39757) (http://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_serials/1942_2.html) - Transferred to 305th BG, 364th BS at Chelveston, named 'Mi Amigo'. Damaged in raid on Aschersleben, Bernberg and Halberstadt, Brunde, Wernegerode, Madeburg
and crashed in Endcliffe Park, Sheffield, England Feb 22, 1944. 10 crew killed.
Targets don't match - just goes to show you can't believe everything you see on the Internet!

Icare9
22nd Feb 2019, 20:47
Yellow Sun: If you followed ORAC's link and then scrolled through the links to the 364th Bomb Squadron, you'd see that it does give Aalborg as their target, Day 3 of "Big Week"
Aalborg was a big Luftwaffe base, with both Bf109 and Fw190 fighters based there, so they were able to get into the formations above their base while the bombers were trying to locate the airfield and avoid bombing civilians.
It also implies that 3 of the crew were mortally wounded (seems to be radio operator, ball and rear turret gunners) but how that information was gathered I can't say, perhaps a report did get through to their base.
If the navigator was also wounded, that might explain them being so far off course. The weather that day had heavy cloud up to over 20,000 feet, making formation keeping impossible and accounting for the 39 bombers, out of some 790 despatched, shot down and 141 with battle damage.

SATCOS WHIPPING BOY
22nd Feb 2019, 20:48
Thanks for posting that link Yellow Sun, the data makes for very interesting and poignant reading. There was a mid-air on the same day as the loss of Mi Amigo but what struck me was this one...
38002 (401st BG, 614th BS) shot down by flak and fighter on mission to
Ocherslaben Feb 22, 1944. MACR 2661. 2 KIA, 8 POW. Tail gunner was unable
to bail out with the other crew members because his parachute was riddled
with machine gun fire but he survived because the plane landed itself
in a field.
If it's not your time to go then fate will intervene.

Arfur Dent
22nd Feb 2019, 21:23
How eloquent was the young Megan Low speaking this morning. A relative of one of the American bomber crew she pitched her remarks perfectly.

SASless
22nd Feb 2019, 21:52
The Fly Over's were a nice touch.....but my thoughts go to the Man who for all these years has honored the Ten Airmen who died that day....and has done so without fanfare or reward....beyond that internal reward such a wonderfully kind deed provides to the doer.

A walk up the entry path to the American Hangar at Duxford reminds one of the very real sacrifice made by American Airmen during the War and that these Ten were just one crew of so many.

To take a moment of time to remember these Ten....and one Man's dedication is a good thing....but let's not overlook all those in many militaries and many air forces who paid such a dear price to defend our freedom in those dark days.

When I consider the staggering cost in human lives and destroyed families caused by that War.....I remember the opening scene of "Saving Private Ryan" as Old Man Ryan enters the Cemetery followed by his extended family.....and see each Gravestone representing a lost family such as Ryan's behind him that never was.

PUP
23rd Feb 2019, 08:19
"but the way in which it was presented was a disgrace. As MG said, they presented it not as a commemoration but as a circus."

To those who have opined that this was a circus, or presented as a circus, perhaps you know best because you seem to have put your oversized shoes in your lipsticked mouths? My opinion is that you have shown great disrespect for the thousands of people who attended and contributed to the commemoration of the Sheffield Park crash, and to the millions of people that see this as an 'ad hoc' memorial event no less significant than the regular remembrance events. Shame on you.

kaitakbowler
23rd Feb 2019, 08:46
PUP.

Once again wish there was a "Like" button.

Well said.

PM

weemonkey
23rd Feb 2019, 09:15
What was the average of the crew?

Perhaps they would have enjoyed the pagent and the overwhelming feeling of both respect and enjoyment of the myriad of people there?

Just a thought....

The Oberon
23rd Feb 2019, 09:27
"but the way in which it was presented was a disgrace. As MG said, they presented it not as a commemoration but as a circus."

To those who have opined that this was a circus, or presented as a circus, perhaps you know best because you seem to have put your oversized shoes in your lipsticked mouths? My opinion is that you have shown great disrespect for the thousands of people who attended and contributed to the commemoration of the Sheffield Park crash, and to the millions of people that see this as an 'ad hoc' memorial event no less significant than the regular remembrance events. Shame on you.

As I said in my original post, I admire Dan Walker for his initial publicity and work in getting things moving and I fully agree with you about the thousands that turned up. Yes, it was a memorial event on a par with others but it was not presented as such. Are we going to see a red sofa and ad hoc, largely irrelevant interviews on Whitehall this November?

Tengah Type
23rd Feb 2019, 09:51
The event at Sheffield commemorating a particular crew, or crew member, is similar to what happens here in SW France. Last Saturday 16 February, I, along with 6 Overseas visitors who were relatives of the deceased pilot and 18 RAFA members ( including some PPruners ), attended the 75th Annual Anniversary of the loss of a Stirling and crew on that date in 1944. The ceremony was conducted by the village mayor and attended by a crowd of the local people. There were 15 Standards and several " Maquis " re-enactors. The ceremony was followed by " Vin d'Honneur " and lunch at a local restaurant. Last year I, along with other RAFA members, attended several such events all commemorating a particular RAF/Allied crew, or crew member lost in support of the Resistance in the area. Unfortunately no flypast.

XV490
23rd Feb 2019, 10:48
It’s important to put the Sheffield event into context. It was not a remembrance ceremony per se but a response to a dedicated British pensioner’s long-held desire for a flypast to salute his ten American heroes. As a corollary, it also served as a tribute to all 30,000 USAAF aircrew killed while serving in the UK in WWII.

I understand that the RAFA has conducted a formal service of remembrance at Endcliffe Park annually for many years and, commendably, will continue to do so. Tony Foulds’ complementary attention to the memorial is, perhaps, more to do with his involvement as a witness to the crash and his feelings since.

After yesterday’s spectacle, the F-15s flew over the American Military Cemetery at Madingley, where three of Mi Amigo’s crew are buried. The site is a proper place for the formal remembrance of US service personnel, which was duly observed at the men’s graves. No need, or desire, for a red sofa there.

But let’s not denigrate the BBC’s efforts. I imagine USAFE chiefs, and the US Embassy, were delighted to have the opportunity (via Tony Foulds’ story) to highlight American aircrews’ WWII sacrifices and possibly inform a new generation about their presence here 75 years ago. It’s important to bear in mind that yesterday’s event also made the news in the Mi Amigo crew’s homeland, where attitudes to armed forces commemorations differ somewhat from the UK’s.

I had an e-mail this morning from a former commanding general (CG) of the US Eighth Air Force, in which he said: “What an incredible event. I wish I could have been there. May God bless Mr Foulds.”

I, for one, would second that.

Pozidrive
23rd Feb 2019, 11:27
What was the average of the crew?

Perhaps they would have enjoyed the pagent and the overwhelming feeling of both respect and enjoyment of the myriad of people there?

Just a thought....

Ages were 19 to 24 y.o.

ricardian
23rd Feb 2019, 13:04
My old RAF boss (Peter Maillard) has just posted this on Facebook, he actually saw the wreckage shortly after the crash.
"I have the honour to have seen the still smouldering wreckage [and seeing a foot in a flying boot] after school on the day. The crash site was relatively small in the edge of the wooded slope just off a series of footpaths which bordered the grassed area The pilot could have landed on the big grass recreational area but it was full of playing people, he did indeed sacrifice himself and crew to save others. The memorial area is a credit to all in Sheffield."

Pozidrive
23rd Feb 2019, 14:23
My old RAF boss (Peter Maillard) has just posted this on Facebook, he actually saw the wreckage shortly after the crash.
"I have the honour to have seen the still smouldering wreckage [and seeing a foot in a flying boot] after school on the day. The crash site was relatively small in the edge of the wooded slope just off a series of footpaths which bordered the grassed area The pilot could have landed on the big grass recreational area but it was full of playing people, he did indeed sacrifice himself and crew to save others. The memorial area is a credit to all in Sheffield."

Your boss is right about the self-sacrifice in avoiding the surrounding houses, but the topography of the valley means there was no chance the pilot could have "landed" on the grass, which is only about 200m across.

Tech Guy
23rd Feb 2019, 17:55
It’s important to put the Sheffield event into context. It was not a remembrance ceremony per se but a response to a dedicated British pensioner’s long-held desire for a flypast to salute his ten American heroes. As a corollary, it also served as a tribute to all 30,000 USAAF aircrew killed while serving in the UK in WWII.

I understand that the RAFA has conducted a formal service of remembrance at Endcliffe Park annually for many years and, commendably, will continue to do so. Tony Foulds’ complementary attention to the memorial is, perhaps, more to do with his involvement as a witness to the crash and his feelings since.

After yesterday’s spectacle, the F-15s flew over the American Military Cemetery at Madingley, where three of Mi Amigo’s crew are buried. The site is a proper place for the formal remembrance of US service personnel, which was duly observed at the men’s graves. No need, or desire, for a red sofa there.

But let’s not denigrate the BBC’s efforts. I imagine USAFE chiefs, and the US Embassy, were delighted to have the opportunity (via Tony Foulds’ story) to highlight American aircrews’ WWII sacrifices and possibly inform a new generation about their presence here 75 years ago. It’s important to bear in mind that yesterday’s event also made the news in the Mi Amigo crew’s homeland, where attitudes to armed forces commemorations differ somewhat from the UK’s.

I had an e-mail this morning from a former commanding general (CG) of the US Eighth Air Force, in which he said: “What an incredible event. I wish I could have been there. May God bless Mr Foulds.”

I, for one, would second that.

Excellent post and I heartily concur.

Yellow Son
24th Feb 2019, 08:57
I imagine USAFE chiefs, and the US Embassy, were delighted to have the opportunity (via Tony Foulds’ story) to highlight American aircrews’ . . . presence here 75 years ago. .

. . . without which, incidentally, several of my generation wouldn't have been born! But that's quite a different story . . .

Tech Guy
25th Feb 2019, 18:23
F15 cockpit video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=Z72xn-HbrQc

tarantonight
25th Feb 2019, 18:57
What a lovely Old Boy to have tended the Memorial for so long and his wish to have his ashes scattered there is particularly touching.

I didn’t see anything distasteful at all, quite the opposite. Enjoyed every minute of it.

TN.

XV490
27th Feb 2019, 14:46
US Air Force coverage of Sunday's formal follow-up ceremony and church service in Sheffield here (https://www.mildenhall.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/1768886/mi-amigo-flypast-memorial-service-touches-millions/).