PDA

View Full Version : Cathay Pacific sells $16,000 premium tickets for $675 in pricing error

arse
2nd Jan 2019, 07:03
Oh dear!

https://www.thenational.ae/business/aviation/cathay-pacific-sells-16-000-premium-tickets-for-675-in-pricing-error-1.808614

CISTRS
2nd Jan 2019, 07:11
CX will find a way to blame the pilots, and make them pay...

Threethirty
2nd Jan 2019, 08:12
Was POS18 a mistake too?

4 Holer
2nd Jan 2019, 08:18
Chinese no logic.... Sent an aircraft out of the paint shop with wrong name failed to go take a look ??? Give Cathay back to the British they will sort it.

mngmt mole
2nd Jan 2019, 08:18
.....Nooooo, they are infallible when it comes to COS. It’s just in every other aspect of airline ops they are congenitally hopeless. The only reason to stay in this airline is the entertainment value.

Freehills
2nd Jan 2019, 08:54
Sounds like someone got their HKD and USD mixed up when typing in the fares...

Backupnav
2nd Jan 2019, 08:56
Cheaper than staff travel.

mach92
2nd Jan 2019, 15:20
I was able to book a few of these in F for $1000 each RT.

See you on board.

Slasher1
2nd Jan 2019, 15:44
Can just see the guy in the checkered suit

"Call me Crazy !
I got the lowest prices in town !
I lose money on every deal !
Folks ask me how I do it

One word -- VOLUME !"

TurningFinalRWY36
2nd Jan 2019, 17:26
wouldn't be surprised if this is a way to reduce profits to justify the new TA

Jnr380
2nd Jan 2019, 22:32
If it was a pilot that made that mistake he would have been sacked on the spot, but because it was an office workers mistake, they'll put it down to "miscommunication" and he/she will carry on being incompetent within the company

Freehills
2nd Jan 2019, 23:57
Think you will find that this function (typing in fares) was outsourced to lowest bidder in India or Phillipines, rather than being a HK office worker. HK too expensive...

mngmt mole
3rd Jan 2019, 00:04
....and the hits just keep on coming. Well, we always have had the worlds best IT.... :rolleyes:

Flex88
4th Jan 2019, 04:56
And here we go again with another stunning example of ineptitude.

Not even days into 2019 and it looks like it will be another year of extremely expensive bungles; Data Breach + Selling Seats at massively incorrect prices (one article indicated the culprit was IT dept.), and here we go again.
I propose that what we are seeing here are the full throated benefits (consequences) of our esteemed "Time To Win" restructure program and with 361 days yet to go, hang on to your seats (no pun intended) and buckle up.

But then again, probably no need to worry as Merlin is now in charge and he must know what he is doing, yes ?

Asturias56
4th Jan 2019, 13:43
yeah but having made the mistake it's good PR. BA got hammered in the media when they refused to let people fly when they made a similar error last year

CX got a load of positive coverage in Europe and the USA in the last few days

On the beach
4th Jan 2019, 20:02
Isn't that called an ID90? ��*♂️

bonzaboy
4th Jan 2019, 23:18
No it is not an ID90; with these tickets you have a chance of receiving some human dignity when you check in, and you might actually be accepted for travel!

Dan Winterland
5th Jan 2019, 02:56
CX got a load of positive coverage in Europe and the USA in the last few days

I don't know how many 'discounted' tickets were sold, but I gather it was not very many. The loss is probably far less than the cost of a comparable advertising campaign.

unitedabx
5th Jan 2019, 05:23
I don't know how many 'discounted' tickets were sold, but I gather it was not very many. The loss is probably far less than the cost of a comparable advertising campaign.

True. Free advertsing on the BBC for a day worldwide. Any publicity is good publicity even though the entire aviation world is laughing at your incompetence.