PDA

View Full Version : Booze in Doha up?

Mgggpilot
31st Dec 2018, 14:36
Any updates on booze in Doha going up in January?

Joe le Taxi
31st Dec 2018, 15:00
Damn, my "Spooner-ist" mind read the title as "booze-up in Doha", and clicked on the link expecting a general NYE's invite to a huge free for all, piss-up in Doha (unlikely as the venue might seem)!

casablanca
31st Dec 2018, 16:21
saw several links indicating Jan 01st prices would have 100% increase

aeropix
31st Dec 2018, 17:30
And if they take a page out of the EK Management playbook they will prohibit any alcohol imports by crew members with immediate effect!

casablanca
1st Jan 2019, 06:50
And if they take a page out of the EK Management playbook they will prohibit any alcohol imports by crew members with immediate effect!
that is already prohibited

360BakTrak
1st Jan 2019, 12:48
Lots of residents are in for a sober 2019!!!

Obbie
1st Jan 2019, 21:59
£82.73 - 24 cans of beer

£73.25 - 750ml bottle of gin

Pork also increased 100%

A disgusting kick in the nuts, aimed squarely at Western Expats.

Again, why would you ever choose to go there.

A320LGW
1st Jan 2019, 22:02
£82.73 - 24 cans of beer

£73.25 - 750ml bottle of gin

Pork also increased 100%

A disgusting kick in the nuts, aimed squarely at Western Expats.

Again, why would you ever choose to go there.

Do the Indians, Filipinos, South Americans, Africans etc etc not drink? Everything is about the western expats is it? Get over yourselves

Obbie
1st Jan 2019, 22:34
Do the Indians, Filipinos, South Americans, Africans etc etc not drink? Everything is about the western expats is it? Get over yourselves

The South Americans are Western Expats, the Africans are mostly Muslims, and the Indians and Filipinos don’t really have that much expendable income. So yes, it’s aimed at Western Expats.

Anything else junior ?

fighterkok
2nd Jan 2019, 08:19
The South Americans are Western Expats, the Africans are mostly Muslims, and the Indians and Filipinos don’t really have that much expendable income. So yes, it’s aimed at Western Expats.

Anything else junior ?

Obbie,

There is no hope for you with this mindset of yours. Crawl back into that little Den you came out from in T Dot. Your narrow mindedness is mind numbing.

FK

ironbutt57
2nd Jan 2019, 11:35
when did they do pork in Qatar?...I remember going to a pork-less Ric's Country Kitchen there and it was less than impressive

oldpax
2nd Jan 2019, 12:32
Wot no "Sid"factories?!!!!!Don't know what "Sid"is?

fantom
2nd Jan 2019, 12:54
Wot no "Sid"factories?!!!!!Don't know what "Sid"is?

Possibly 'sadiq' صديق = friend?

CadetPilot
2nd Jan 2019, 13:02

Anything else junior ?

Cannot believe what I am reading.
To think that a Pilot would be a little less ignorant than that, but with that mindset, you are not even worthy of a response.

Mr Angry from Purley
2nd Jan 2019, 13:15
Getting ready for the World Cup then....

Bill Macgillivray
2nd Jan 2019, 19:46
Old Pax,

Very familiar with "sid" from years ago. Certainly not my favourite tipple but, when needs must....!! However, is it still being distilled in that part of the world? My last 20 years in the ME were probably in a more relaxed country (but even there the tax on alcohol was high although fair). Guess things change but, it is a Muslim country, and it is their choice (and ours to work there!).

Bill

olster
2nd Jan 2019, 20:23
Gosh, fun place...looking forward to the World Cup...

ironbutt57
2nd Jan 2019, 23:02
Gosh, fun place...looking forward to the World Cup...

no kidding huh?? amazing what a few million dollars in the right pockets will get you

A340rider
3rd Jan 2019, 22:38
ME and its double standards..Increase the price of halal meat in Europe and we are racist

sophiabecker
4th Jan 2019, 12:20
Difference is, the ME rulers come out and say “**** off it’s our country, we’ll do what we want, leave if you don’t like it”. The European rulers come out and say “oh we have to be inclusive, while your at it, please live in our country and sure you can follow your rules”.

“Bad guys don't play by the rules, that's what makes'em bad, maybe that's what lets'em win.”

Lepo
4th Jan 2019, 12:52
Does anybody know if the prices of booze in bars/restaurants also went up 100%?

Cause this would be a major blow up for these places, as a beer already costs around 40-50 QAR and a 100% increase would mean (even more) prohibitive prices for a lot of people.

EuroFin
4th Jan 2019, 16:32
Easy to attract new people..except muslims! When QA does a roadshow in western countries I hope they will tell that 24 pack of Heineken is 125€ 💪 Who ever made this rule have a serious brain damage 👍 from the pilot side maybe QA will include booze as part of their “package” QDC monthly allowance 1000QR 🤣🤣

lucille
4th Jan 2019, 23:48
It is their country. They can set whatever rules they like. While we may be irritated by them, let’s not lose track of the fact that it is their inalienable right to impose any laws they wish. Just as it yours to pack up and leave if you find them so morally repugnant.

Meanwhile there is a simple work around - DIY. It’s really, really easy and with a little practice, we all made half decent reds, whites and even sparklings in KSA. I recall they all worked out at about $5 per litre.

Forget Sid, just too complicated and labour intensive with the attendant risk of blowing up the spare bedroom as some at Aramco may attest.

fantom
5th Jan 2019, 11:12
Forget Sid, just too complicated and labour intensive with the attendant risk of blowing up the spare bedroom as some at Aramco may attest.

Quite correct. It is, however, quite easy to produce an excellent prosecco-like fizz using local bottled white grape juice and some sugar. You need the clip-fastening bottles and - this is the important bit - champagne yeast. A nite-stop on the Continent should solve the last problem. The stuff keeps its bubbles for ages and may be produced quite dry after experimental development.

777AV8R
5th Jan 2019, 14:37
It is their country. They can set whatever rules they like. While we may be irritated by them, let’s not lose track of the fact that it is their inalienable right to impose any laws they wish. Just as it yours to pack up and leave if you find them so morally repugnant.

Meanwhile there is a simple work around - DIY. It’s really, really easy and with a little practice, we all made half decent reds, whites and even sparklings in KSA. I recall they all worked out at about $5 per litre.

...and...what I know to be true....in the middle of the night, a 'knock-knock' at the door, villa interior lit up with very bright hand torches. Contractor taken away, leaving the family in the ransacked home, only to have a visa cancelled and everyone given 24 hours to depart the country, all on account of someone 'snitched' and the police caught wind. Alcohol in these countries is barely 'tolerated'. If booze is a 'must', maybe there is another problem going on. Is it really worth the risk? Working over here is a tough enough chore let alone creating another risk.

RoyHudd
6th Jan 2019, 21:55
Work in the Arabic Middle East for money, nothing else. And abide by their rules, no matter how stupid they may seem to be. And leave when you've made and saved sufficient money.

They cannot do all the jobs themselves, so they need imported expertise. But do not expect them to like this; after all, 'face' is everything, and they do not like to be humiliated by loss of face. So expect a hard time on a check with a local trainer. And all this applies to all the major carriers in the region.

ironbutt57
6th Jan 2019, 22:35
So expect a hard time on a check with a local trainer. And all this applies to all the major carriers in the region

thats neither fair, nor accurate

parabellum
7th Jan 2019, 00:17
And all this applies to all the major carriers in the region.

I call BS on this statement. 8 years in the Gulf.

CDRW
7th Jan 2019, 19:06
16 years middle East - and RoyHudd is talking out his rear orifice with ref to his last comment.

Python27
8th Jan 2019, 07:37
At least in guantanamo, almost all the locals I've met are kind and easygoing; maybe you're confusing with the ksa scum

Boozwise.... Let it mind. They can increase in 300% and the fake profiles around will keep praising the increase and the job ..

APU_inop
8th Jan 2019, 19:08
...and...what I know to be true....in the middle of the night, a 'knock-knock' at the door, villa interior lit up with very bright hand torches. Contractor taken away, leaving the family in the ransacked home, only to have a visa cancelled and everyone given 24 hours to depart the country, all on account of someone 'snitched' and the police caught wind. Alcohol in these countries is barely 'tolerated'. If booze is a 'must', maybe there is another problem going on. Is it really worth the risk? Working over here is a tough enough chore let alone creating another risk.
I think he was kidding.

If you need to start brewing alcohol at home just because a bottle of beer went from $3 to $6 when you are making 8-20k usd a month, you're being tighter than a Chinese banker.

gearlever
8th Jan 2019, 19:44
Very sad, German only......

Forget about Dubai (https://www.stern.de/kultur/micky-beisenherz/micky-beisenherz--99-orte-zum-vergessen--heute--dubai-8519128.html)

Joker11
11th Jan 2019, 01:02
Very sad, German only......

Forget about Dubai (https://www.stern.de/kultur/micky-beisenherz/micky-beisenherz--99-orte-zum-vergessen--heute--dubai-8519128.html)

Good points, but badly written.

Capt. Flamingo
12th Jan 2019, 02:40
Muslims in the likes of Germany and Belgium complain about beer and the cross being everywhere

ironbutt57
12th Jan 2019, 14:11
Muslims in the likes of Germany and Belgium complain about beer and the cross being everywhere

typical, they want to turn our western societies into the backward, barbaric societies they ran away from....

nebojsar
12th Jan 2019, 15:03
typical, they want to turn our western societies into the backward, barbaric societies they ran away from....

Greek island and Ibiza parties are really good example of 'creme de la creme' of western society, mirror od western civilization. To put aside differences, i know many newcomers who live western lifestyle although coming from very strict society backgrounds. General rule should be to respect home country and their rules wherever you are.

ironbutt57
13th Jan 2019, 00:01
Greek island and Ibiza parties are really good example of 'creme de la creme' of western society, mirror od western civilization. To put aside differences, i know many newcomers who live western lifestyle although coming from very strict society backgrounds. General rule should be to respect home country and their rules wherever you are.

Ibiza parties and the like by tourists, however improper they may be, is misbehavior, cannot be compared to "refugees" and other immigrants entering a new country, then trying to change its laws...demanding pork off of school menus, demand swimming pools be segregated...stencilling "Sharia Police" on high visibility vests, then patrolling local neighborhoods.....what could this behavior possibly have to do with a bunch of semi-hooligans misbehaving as tourists....