PDA

View Full Version : G-AVIL incident 1950 - Bomb on aircraft

Repos
31st Dec 2018, 09:04
I'm a newcomer here, not in the industry, just interested in various aspects of Aviation.
This incident came to my mind the other day whilst reading another thread,and I thought I look it up.

It gets a passing mention here a few years back but I feel the coverage is relatively low key all over. I wonder is that because there were more accidents and incidents back then or the fact that no one was killed?
Maybe it's just that today the subject of bombs and airscraft is more in peoples minds, but it all seems to have been taken in their stride at the time.
I suspect it was too long ago for anyone here to have any personal knowledge but one question came to my mind that I'm sure someone will know the answer to.

The aircraft was 30 miles south of Hastings over the English Channel, yet the reponse was 'back to base', at Northolt, rather than a nearby airport.
Was this the natural response of an RAF veteran, or was it the limitaion of communications/ATC at the time?
Whatever the reason, it seems a remarkable feat by Captain Ian Harvey DFC. who was awarded the George medal for his efforts.

Synopsis and links
"En route over the Channel, a explosion occurred in the rear of the plane, seriously injuring the flight attendant. The explosion caused an 8 feet high and 4 feet wide hole in the fuselage. Without rudder and most elevator control the captain, presuming a lightning strike, returned to Northolt where he made a safe landing. A French passenger was suspected of making a suicide attempt. The airplane, named "Vigilant" was repaired and entered service again on October 4, 1950."

Have a look at the Pathe News clip in the second one which shows the damage. There's a big hole in the fuselage, and Police are looking into it!

I can't post URLs yet but Google G-AIVL and you should get hits from:
aviation-safety.net/
airbornerambler wordpress.com
Daily telegrapgh obituary of Captain-Ian-Harvey.html

Quemerford
31st Dec 2018, 14:38
G-AVIL is an Ercoupe and a bit too small to have a flight attendant. I suspect the registration for that would be later than the date you mention too. Can you advise on type maybe?

renfrew
31st Dec 2018, 14:46
A BEA Viking G-AIVL.

oldandbald
31st Dec 2018, 14:49
https://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19500413-0

Repos
31st Dec 2018, 14:59
Well that was a good start wasn't it?
Sorry, I checked everytrhing but missed the most important bit.
Yes indeed G-AIVL, and thank you renfrew and oldandbald for putting it right.

The other odd thing is that the main suspect who came from this part of the world escaped justice.

treadigraph
31st Dec 2018, 15:11
Telegraph obit. (https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/1467912/Captain-Ian-Harvey.html)

DaveReidUK
31st Dec 2018, 15:48
V1GoS7Vg_us

Quemerford
31st Dec 2018, 18:22
Shoooot. Lucky to get down in mostly one piece. Hadn't heard about this one.

suninmyeyes
13th Jan 2019, 16:32
As a youngster I followed the career of the stewardess Sue Cramsie with interest. She became chief stewardess for BEA.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/4194965/Frenchman-blamed-for-air-bomb-mystery.html

wrecker
14th Jan 2019, 11:52
Flew with Ian in the late sixtys. A charming gentleman who never spoke about that incident. The only give away was the rather unusual medal ribbon which preceded some others on his chest

Repos
14th Jan 2019, 17:39
Thank you to all who have replied and added links when I can't, being a newbie.
It didn't occur to me to edit my original error, but I have now.
It may be because of my original error but my question may have been lost in the middle of the post, so here it is again.

The aircraft was 30 miles south of Hastings over the English Channel, yet the reponse was 'back to base', at Northolt, rather than a nearby airport.
Was this the natural response of an RAF veteran, or was it the limitation of communications/ATC at the time?

Also, is this the best thread for this posting.
Thanks all.