PDA

View Full Version : ICAO Codes - UK

GeoffTrent
31st Dec 2018, 01:32
Recently I have noticed a raft of spurious and unsanctioned ‘ICAO’ type codes cropping up in commercial programs and associated databases on the internet.

Jeppesen uses EG01, EG02, EG03 etc, for airfields that have no official ICAO code, as does Foreflight and Rocketroute together with LogTen Pro. I’ll be willing to bet these codes are making their way onto various glass cockpit platforms which subscribe to the same databases. I certainly have noticed the Jeppesen codes arriving on screen on the ProLine 21, for example.

However, as useful as these purport to be, the codes vary wildly with various programs, For example Bruntingthorpe airfield, which officially has no ICAO code (and never has) is coded EG01, EG74 and EG12 depending on which program you use.

Foreflight, an American program which is expanding yearly, goes one step further, seemingly coding airports all over the UK with it’s own codes, which make no sense at all, using mostly military third letters. These seem to have cropped up in the last 2 years, and other websites that are using whatever database are using them too. Here are just a few:

EGEJ - GIGHA ISLAND
EGEV - PLOCKTON
EGEX - MILFIELD
EGFO - FOULA
EGOU - OUT SKERRIES
EGSZ - PAPA STOUR
EGYO - NORTH COATES
EGZF - KIRKBRIDE
EGZJ - DORNOCH
EGZL - FESHIEBRIDGE/AVIEMORE
EGZM - ABOYNE
EGZR - FLOTTA
EGZU - GLENFORSA/MULL
EGZV - LUNDY ISLAND

When queried about these codes, the CAA responded predictably as follows, but offered only that the codes above may be out of date:

All of the UK’s official 4-letter ICAO codes are listed in the UK AIP in section GEN 2.4 These are the only codes used in the UK AIP and on all AIP charts and VFR charts, and that is not going to change.

Does anyone have any information on this, and maybe if there is anyone on here from the programs mentioned above, they could provide feedback?

Kind regards,
Geoff Trent

Sky blue and black
31st Dec 2018, 21:40
Some of those codes were used by the UK Route Charges staff when I worked there in 1979. We had a list which we and CRCO in Brussels used, I was never aware of anyone else using them. They've obviously been around a long time.