PDA

View Full Version : UAE SAR 139 Crash

Cyclic Hotline
29th Dec 2018, 15:09
https://gulfnews.com/uae/video-four-dead-in-rak-helicopter-crash-1.1546097394182

Ras Al Khaimah: A rescue helicopter crashed on Jebel Jais mountain in Ras Al Khaimah, killing four crew members on Saturday.

The incident happened when the helicopter clipped a zipline on the mountain, the UAE's highest peak. The dead include three Emiratis and a foreigner.

Their identities were not immediately released by the police.

His Highness Shaikh Saud Bin Saqr Al Qasimi, Supreme Council Member and Ruler of Ras Al Khaimah, has ordered immediate investigation into the crash of the helicopter, which was operated by the National Search and Rescue Center.

Shaikh Saud also ordered a comprehensive investigation into the security and safety requirements being followed in the incident site to establish the cause.

A top official said: “The accident happened at 5:50pm on Saturday and the helicopter was on a mission to airlift an injured man from Jebel Jais. The helicopter crashed before reaching the man.”

He said the helicopter crashed after hitting the zip line cable (https://gulfnews.com/uae/worlds-longest-zipline-takes-flight-in-rak-1.2167031).

he ‘Jebel Jais Flight’ zipline is the world’s longest ziplinehttps://gulfnews.com/uae/worlds-longest-zipline-takes-flight-in-rak-1.2167031in Ras Al Khaimah.

It is 2.8km long – the length of 28 football fields and runs at a height of 1,680m above sea level, on top of Jebel Jais mountain, the UAE’s highest peak. By comparison, Burj Khalifa the world’s tallest tower in Dubai, is 828m high.Statements

The General Civil Aviation Authority (GCAA) has announced the crash, identifying the chopper as Agusta 139 helicopter. It said the incident took place during a rescue mission next to Jais Mountain in Ras Al Khaimah.

GCAA stated the crash took place at about 5.50 pm on Saturday. Search and rescue operations are ongoing.

The National Search and Rescue Centre confirmed that four crew members were on the board of the helicopter when the crash took place.

Haitham Mattar, Chief Executive Officer, Ras Al Khaimah Tourism Development Authority, said: ”We learned of the helicopter accident on Jebel Jais Mountain and can assure everyone that there were no injuries to any of the public on Jebel Jais, our team or the facilities on the mountain. We await further details pending the outcome of the investigation ordered by His Highness the Ruler of Ras Al Khaimah.”

An official at Saqr hospital told Gulf News that they received one injured man, an Indian, who sustained injuries while he was on Jebel Jais.

Three bodies were recovered and the search for the fourth crew member, the medic, is still on.Rescue operations

While the police have not released details of circumstances surrounding the crash, there have been a number of search and rescue operations on Jebal Jais over the years.

In January, police rescued a European tourist who fell off the mountain while trekking.

A rescue helicopter was used to lift the victim. Later in the year, a Ras Al Khaimah police helicopter rescue team saved a Pakistani family from tragedy after their car plunged into a valley in Jebel Jais.

In September, a trekker who fell down the mountain was air lifted by helicopter to hospital – she didn’t survive and in October 2017, Ras Al Khaimah Police Air wing transported an injured woman to hospital from a ravine after her family car veered of the road.Statements

The General Civil Aviation Authority (GCAA) has announced the crash, identifying the chopper as Agusta 139 helicopter. It said the incident took place during a rescue mission next to Jais Mountain in Ras Al Khaimah. GCAA stated the crash took place at about 5.50 pm on Saturday. Search and rescue operations are ongoing. The National Search and Rescue Centre confirmed that four crew members were on the board of the helicopter when the crash took place. The bodies are yet to be recovered from the crash site, it added.

https://images.gulfnews.com/201812/helicopter%2002_resources1.jpgWhat is Jebal Jais?

-Jebal Jais is the UAE’s highest mountain – it’s summit has an elevation of 1,934m
-It is located in Ras Al Khaimah, one of seven emirates in the UAE
-The mountain is a popular tourist destination, especially in the winter because of the cooler weather, with locals and visitors driving up the mountain

WASALOADIE
29th Dec 2018, 15:18
Horrific video. RIP fellow aviators

N4565L
29th Dec 2018, 21:51
Four lost, RIP

Four killed after rescue helicopter strikes zip line in UAE?s Ras Al-Khaimah | Arab News (http://www.arabnews.com/node/1427566/middle-east#.XCfvdtKZ744.twitter)

Raffles S.A.
30th Dec 2018, 08:54
Would the zip line show up on their EFIS as powerlines do?

Wizofoz
30th Dec 2018, 10:28
Would the zip line show up on their EFIS as powerlines do?

If it's in the data base....

Dog Star
30th Dec 2018, 13:45
No EFIS I've used in the past 3 decades has depicted "power lines" but that has not been on rotary aircraft. That's nada, zilch, zero, zip.

Noticed on above link that zip line/ride had been installed as the world's longest zipline ride earlier this year. Was it duly noted on notams to warn aircraft in the area?

As it was still daylight at the time of accident there must have still been interest in those who find a thrill on the zipline to partake. Was anyone injured or worse while on the zipline at the time the helicopter made contact with it? Was the zipline severed?

Sadly similar accidents have occurred in the past

https://www.nytimes.com/1998/02/04/world/20-die-in-italy-as-us-jet-cuts-a-ski-lift-cable.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavalese_cable_car_disaster_(1998)

Lastly condolences to crew and passengers of tragically downed helicopter, may you rest in peace.

Raffles S.A.
30th Dec 2018, 17:23
If I recall correctly, a small plane got tangled in a zip line recently near Sun City, South Africa. The occupants were eventually rescued unharmed.

Carbon Bootprint
30th Dec 2018, 21:30
If I recall correctly, a small plane got tangled in a zip line recently near Sun City, South Africa. The occupants were eventually rescued unharmed.
Absolutely correct, sir. They were lucky. (https://www.timeslive.co.za/news/south-africa/2018-09-28-lucky-escape-as-plane-gets-trapped-300m-above-the-ground/) (The "300 meters" seems a bit much to me, but I wasn't there.)

This was a truly tragic event. May they RIP and let the rest of us learn from this.

Cows getting bigger
31st Dec 2018, 06:57
Here’s the airspace depiction on the Jep VFR chart.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1399/df99e440_1736_4fdc_843b_0e88f9f35530_aa9ae874d217c5ba77a6149 0c6ab71c13aa1bc03.png

Back door
1st Jan 2019, 00:43
Rest in Peace

Hot and Hi
1st Jan 2019, 12:12
Zip lines and GA don’t make good (aviation) neighbors. Similar accidents in Sun City, South Africa. Invisible cable, hundreds of feet above ground. Support towers “kilometers” apart.

SASless
1st Jan 2019, 12:56
Wires will straight up kill you!

In areas in the Pacific Northwest, timber logging crews can rig Hi-Lead Lines in a matter of hours with no notice to anyone.

One must learn how to fly in a Wire Environment or be at great risk.

Like this Crew did not know about the Zip Line?

This accident investigation is not going to be about "What" happened....but rather it will be about "Why" this happened.

N4565L
1st Jan 2019, 13:28
"Noticed on above link that zip line/ride had been installed as the world's longest zipline ride earlier this year. Was it duly noted on notams to warn aircraft in the area? "

Yes, it was NOTAMed

Misformonkey
1st Jan 2019, 20:51
Enough digital based map tools out there warning of wires which given the impact of loss of these people plus equipment must make it a low value purchase in the grand scheme?

malabo
1st Jan 2019, 22:28
I think you mean high value/low cost. I’m impressed with the sophisticated reaction from the (high) authority to zero in on root causes. The days of an ʾIn shāʾa llāh shrug are behind us.

2nd Jan 2019, 18:37
It was their local patch and the zip line appears to have been very well publicised - how could they not know about it?

Very sad - RIP.

NRDK
2nd Jan 2019, 23:05
Agree with Crab on this entirely. Totally avoidable tragedy, very sad. Hope the report doesn't gloss over basics, because lessons need to be learnt. But not the hard way like this one.

Bell_ringer
3rd Jan 2019, 08:12
The most likely wires to be hit are the ones you know about.

gulliBell
3rd Jan 2019, 08:41
Perhaps vaguely similar to the CHC S92 accident in Ireland. An experienced crew flying a modern helicopter into an obstacle they should have known about, and in visual conditions (although whether the CHC crew was in fact visual was highly unlikely).

3rd Jan 2019, 10:16
Perhaps - again - an over-reliance on the technology to keep you safe rather than local knowledge and awareness - just follow the magenta line......................

Perhaps those that build helicopters will recognise that what works for an airliner at FL nosebleed, isn't often much use for a helicopter at 100' agl or lower.

Cows getting bigger
3rd Jan 2019, 12:19
The most likely wires to be hit are the ones you know about.

That reminds me of a Balkan foray in1999. A Canadian helicopter had found some wires that weren't marked on the Michelin Road map. Next day the UK Puma flt cdr goes on a wire hunt with his Little Chef map; yep, he found the wires. :)

Didn't do Puma Boy too much harm - last time I looked he was an AVM.

SASless
3rd Jan 2019, 15:39
Didn't do Puma Boy too much harm - last time I looked he was an AVM.

Cream does rise to the top....right?

A decent video on Wire Strikes and the prevention measures one can use.....not the definitive source but worth taking a few minutes to consider.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x9Sk-SE8-E

3rd Jan 2019, 15:58
Didn't do Puma Boy too much harm - last time I looked he was an AVM.Pretty sure I know who you mean - the Little Chef (or was it Happy Eater) map gave it away:ok:

We were first tourists together on 72 Sqn if I've got the right AVM:)

jayteeto
3rd Jan 2019, 16:04
Incorrect I think

Cows getting bigger
3rd Jan 2019, 16:31
Crab, close but no cigar. This particular chap first starred as a fg off on 230 when it was at Gutersloh. More recently had an AOC-ship.

Hot and Hi
5th Jan 2019, 06:12
New video showing that something fell off the AW139, allegedly supporting the claim that this accident was not a wire strike.

www.facebook.com/658864898/posts/10158151863204899/

gulliBell
5th Jan 2019, 06:29
Then why was one of the 3 zip lines found to be down after the crash? Sure, something departed the scene, you can see it falling (perhaps a FLIR head or rescue hoist or night-sun?). But if you fly into a wire it's quite possible the helicopter is not going to be intact after that.

With the severity of the impact and resulting fire I'd be surprised if there was anything of the FDR/CVR left.

SASless
5th Jan 2019, 11:23
The part will be found and depending upon what it was....and the damage to it....and the location it is found and other forensic evidence to include the wire......will determine the sequence or events....assuming an effective Accident Investigation is conducted.

Let's be honest....Wires will straight up kill you.....and if there is wire down....the odds of it being something departed the aircraft THEN the aircraft hit the wire cutting it....are rather small.

Hitting the wire and something departing the aircraft AFTER the wire strike are far. more likely.

5th Jan 2019, 11:51
The initial press report was quite specific about a wire-strike and I am assuming the UAE press are better than the Sun or Daily Mail with their reporting accuracy..

finalchecksplease
5th Jan 2019, 12:55
When you watch the video you can hear the sound of a wire under tension snapping before something departs the helicopter so IMHO it was a wire strike.
As always the investigation should tell us what exactly happened.

SASless
5th Jan 2019, 13:21
Crab likes to bet on sure things it would appear!

How could they be less reliable?

Georg1na
5th Jan 2019, 21:43
All very sad and probably avoidable. I had three compatriots die hitting a wire in Norway in a snow storm - now the Norwegians are very careful about wires and if you fly there you can see why and their wire maps are second to none. On this occasion the wire hit was a big thick cable rather than a wire and it was not on the wire map. When I dashed over to see the master map immediately after the crash I was told quote " It is not on the map because everyone knows it is there" - sometimes you just can't win........................

gulliBell
5th Jan 2019, 22:12
According to the family of one of the deceased crew as quoted in the UAE press, it was the will of god that the helicopter flew into the wire and crashed and made them all martyrs. So in that instance, the accident was unavoidable.

SASless
5th Jan 2019, 22:16
Perhaps there was one Infidel in the aircraft and he did not ascribe to the "Enshallah!" concept?

Ed Winchester
5th Jan 2019, 22:49
Wow. A lot of your posts are worth reading, Sasless. But quantity does not equal quality. And that last post smacks of bigotry and a lack of respect for fellow aviators. Sad.

SASless
5th Jan 2019, 23:15
Sorry that you feel that way Ed.....but having worked in Saudi, Somalia, Iran, Pakistan, and Jordan and with others who are followers of Islam.....there is very much a different outlook than for those who are not.

That is a fact....and nothing I said was an insult.....just pointed out that we are the product of our environments....and they vary greatly.

I would suggest you learn more about folks before you starting calling them ignorant and racist.

So get off the Out Rage Bus.

Ed Winchester
6th Jan 2019, 00:26
Yeah, you’re right. They’re all the same. It’s ‘Inshallah’, by the way. :ugh:

Rocket Surgeon
6th Jan 2019, 01:19
So, Ed, you appear to have no issue with the statement preceding SASless' (#33), but only in his use of the the shorthand used to justify the unjustifiable in this part of the world.

My greatest issue would be with pilot's abrogating their responsibility to a higher power, rather than taking personal responsibility for the safe outcome of a flight.

gulliBell
6th Jan 2019, 02:02
1...you appear to have no issue with the statement preceding SASless' (#33)...

2...My greatest issue would be with pilot's abrogating their responsibility to a higher power, rather than taking personal responsibility for the safe outcome of a flight.

1. There are no grounds for any body to take issue with what the family of the deceased crew member reportedly said in this context.
2. It's just the way it is in some parts of the world, I've seen it first hand myself (only generalizing here and not suggesting for a second there was any intended abrogation of pilot responsibility to a higher power in this instance).

SASless
6th Jan 2019, 03:30
I suppose Ed will agree that a full understanding of the Islamic use of the concept of "martyrdom" requires the grasp of the fact there is the traditional sense of the death of one who is submitting to the Will of Allah and should not be confused with the more common association of the term when combined with the current style of Jihad.

They are quite different.

As the flight was done in pursuit of a peaceful effort not related to a religion related effort....the family was quiet correct in using that connotation of the word.

But then what do I know.....eh Ed?

Pilots generally being very analytical sorts.....probably prefer to look for the causes of the event and seek answers in facts, data, and similar kinds of information.

But even then we have to remember.....the analytic approach runs out of gas for example when the question asked is "How did the the people onboard Pan Am 103 happen to find themselves on the flight that night when the bomb went off?".

That is when we bring in that notion of "Fate", "Luck", "Karma", etc.

megan
6th Jan 2019, 03:48
It’s ‘Inshallah’, by the wayIt is and it isn't, SAS's spelling is also accepted, along with "Inchallah", perhaps not by a Arab scholar, but they appear on the web, books etc.

Cows getting bigger
6th Jan 2019, 06:12
Chaps, this is the UAE (where I fly a lot) and not Saudi, Kuwait or one of the other more stringent states. Painting one Islamic state the same colour as another is just plain wrong; it’s like saying Amish, Mormons and New Yorkers all have the same outlook as the are all American Christians.

My mother-in-law was an Irish Catholic and she would often use the phrase ‘God Willing’. Think on that whilst considering the bigotry.

Ascend Charlie
6th Jan 2019, 08:55
Hey Evil, you reckon we know the pilots?

Evil Twin
6th Jan 2019, 09:42
Possible Charlie, quite possible. And worse, the attitude displayed would lead to them flying into a wire they knew was there unfortunately

Evil Twin
6th Jan 2019, 10:54
Wow. A lot of your posts are worth reading, Sasless. But quantity does not equal quality. And that last post smacks of ignorant racism and a lack of respect for fellow aviators. Sad.
Belief isn't a race Ed.

Ed Winchester
6th Jan 2019, 11:45
Belief isn't a race Ed.

I’ll edit my post, thank you for educating me.

Bell_ringer
6th Jan 2019, 12:39
-the cause of more conflicts, arguments and lives lost than anything else in history -

Football comes in a close second :E

SASless
6th Jan 2019, 12:54
Crab,

Sam Clemens....aka Mark Twain had some very interesting views of religion.

Take a stroll down through some of them at the link below.

I very much embrace Twain's views on the topic....but then I did read all of his writings over the Years...books, letters, and performances.

Hal Holbrook did a great Impersonation of Twain that can be found at various place as a Video.

Mark Twain quotations - Religion (http://www.twainquotes.com/Religion.html)

Let's not turn this into a discussion suitable for Jet Blast.....as we all should remember four people died in a very tragic manner....four people drawn from our community of Helicopter Pilots and Crew Members.

6th Jan 2019, 14:12
Very much with you regarding Twain's thoughts Sas:ok:

Something went wrong in that cockpit to lead to the wirestrike - distraction, disorientation, task focus - so many possible causes getting in the way of the prime function - fly the aircraft!

SandBlaster214
6th Jan 2019, 17:01
First, and as with any tragic accident such as this, heartfelt condolences to the families and friends and prayers the crew are at peace according to their belief(s). Second, I hope this isn't too far a drift from the thrust of the thread and/ or it doesn't cast a disparaging light on the crew or anyone else involved - it isn't intended to, but Crab activated the few of my remaining brain cells and I felt compelled to opine.

...so many possible causes getting in the way of the prime function - fly the aircraft!

Couldn't agree more, Crab. I still hang on to something passed on to me by an old friend and colleague. We were discussing simple ways of instilling that same "fly the aircraft" first mentality in the FNGs that seemed to have a growing fascination and fixation on the new whizbang gadgets and gizmos starting to appear (this was 1981 and I was picking up a new 212). He told me he still used the old and simplistic "CAR" acronym to make his point:

C: CONTROL the aircraft, A: ANALYSE the situation and R: RESOLVE/ REACT. He claimed, no matter what the situation, from the time you blast off til you walk off into the sunset while the rotors slowly coast down, you have to do things in that order, because; once you lose control - you're probably going to lose. Next, if you react before you analyse - in essence,
you're shooting in the dark, and while you may get lucky, chances are you're probably going to lose - especially in more advanced, multi-engine aircraft where your reactions may be an answer to multiple choice questions. Bottom line...

​​​​​​​...fly the aircraft!

Now, I realize I'm an old hammerhead with mad cow disease and strong opinions and, notwithstanding a major catastrophic failure, sometimes situations aren't "that simple" but, and then again, maybe they are.

212man
6th Jan 2019, 18:59
Not at all. Not just us either: http://www.havkom.se/assets/reports/RL-2016_11e.pdf. In the absence of a “whoa, what was that?” Sudden positive g sensation, what would prompt you to stuff the nose down?

gulliBell
6th Jan 2019, 20:46
..Something went wrong in that cockpit to lead to the wirestrike..

They had the luxury of 2 pilots and a navigator onboard, so you'd think they'd be able to navigate themselves around the obstacle that was printed on the map. Maybe the crew composition was part of the problem. Nothing crystallizes the senses more, flying single pilot, when you're the only bunny there to fly, navigate, communicate, and bottle wash, etc. Being responsible for everything, and not assuming somebody else is doing something he's not, keeps you wide eyed and bushy tailed and on your toes: nobody else to blame when something goes pear shaped.

SASless
6th Jan 2019, 22:35
212man......there are three AI's on that instrument panel.....why would one not take a peek at the old fashioned thing in the center of the panel and see which two of the three agree?

megan
6th Jan 2019, 22:58
Agree with Crab on this entirely. Totally avoidable tragedyTrouble is, at the end of the day ALL accidents/incidents are totally avoidable. Am adverse to comments denigrating a crew, if we are honest with ourselves we have all made cock ups that could have, if circumstances were a little different, resulted in a tragic outcome. I've got my own wire story, and only because the Gods smiled did I come through with no damage to aircraft or body. You're only as good as your last flight, irrespective of hours or experience.

gulliBell
7th Jan 2019, 00:47
..Am adverse to comments denigrating a crew...you're only as good as your last flight, irrespective of hours or experience.

I guess that crew wasn't so good then as their last flight met about their demise.

(assuming they inadvertently flew into a known obstacle)

Cyclic Hotline
7th Jan 2019, 15:32
The entire sequence makes me wonder whether they were so fixated on identifying and avoiding the wires that they knew where there, that in searching for them they failed to spot them and instead inadvertently flew directly into them. Any pilot will attest to the difficulty (or even impossibility) of identifying known wires without the normal cues such as pylons or other landmark structures. In such a massive 3D space they may have been almost impossible to see, especially if you become focused on where you believe they are, rather than where they actually are. Even four sets of trained eyes is no guarantee of the outcome.

Raffles S.A.
7th Jan 2019, 22:51
Did they have a wirestrike kit fitted?

gulliBell
7th Jan 2019, 23:40
by the looks of it (https://www.nsrc.gov.ae/en/media-centre/news/2/2/2018/%D8%A7%D9%84%D9%85%D8%B1%D9%83%D8%B2-%D8%A7%D9%84%D9%88%D8%B7%D9%86%D9%8A-%D9%84%D9%84%D8%A8%D8%AD%D8%AB-%D9%88%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%A5%D9%86%D9%82%D8%A7%D8%B0-%D9%8A%D8%B4%D8%A7%D8%B1%D9%83-%D9%81%D9%8A-%D8%B3%D8%A8%D8%A7%D9%82-%D8%B1%D9%8A%D8%AF-%D8%A8%D9%88%D9%84-%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%AC%D9%88%D9%8A-2018.aspx#page=1), yes...

megan
7th Jan 2019, 23:42
I guess that crew wasn't so good then as their last flight met about their demiseYou're the pot calling the kettle gulli. Like the rest of us, you've done some extremely stupid things, and had them filmed I'm told.

gulliBell
7th Jan 2019, 23:47
You're the pot calling the kettle gulli. Like the rest of us, you've done some extremely stupid things, and had them filmed I'm told.

That's right...I almost flew the Prime Minister of PNG into the only power line within a thousand miles....lucky for me his security buffoon in the back saw it and said something about it in time for me to do something about it.

malabo
8th Jan 2019, 02:14
Any insights from the two videos on controllability? Cabin, tailboom and rotor system all look intact, rpm. As a group we waxed on endlessly about the 169 with a T/R problem, but so far nothing from here. Not all of us can be a Richard Moffatt and successfully land an AW139 without a tailrotor (he did it into HK harbour from the challenge of a full power climb), but he proved it was possible.

atakacs
14th Jan 2019, 13:14
I've seen that Leonardo had some release regarding this accident today - does anyone here have access to it ?

212man
14th Jan 2019, 14:29
I've seen that Leonardo had some release regarding this accident today - does anyone here have access to it ?
Yes - it says based on the preliminary findings of the investigation there are no airworthiness actions needed.