PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire Helmet-Cam Video at Airshow, with DH Vampire

Dave Hadfield
26th Dec 2018, 03:57
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rHcq4v_tP3E

This is a video I've edited using a Sony AS50 on my helmet, plus ground-based video, plus stills.

The display had to be non-aerobatic -- the aircraft was just out of the restoration shop, and there wasn't time for me to gain an aerobatic accreditation. But it was great fun!

Doing this in a Spitfire has spoiled me forever!

Dave

India Four Two
26th Dec 2018, 05:42
Dave,

A lovely video. It brought back wonderful memories of my flight in a two-seat Spitfire, particularly the taxi back after landing, watching the coolant temperature rise!

For the benefit of other PPRuNers, Dave's brother is Chris Hadfield, the astronaut, who has also flown this Spitfire.

stevef
26th Dec 2018, 06:45
Superb! Top notch video content and polished & informative narration.
I wonder why the artificial horizon didn't want to join in too. :8

l.garey
26th Dec 2018, 08:29
Remarkable video and great editing and commentary. A very welcome Christmas present. Thanks Dave.

Laurence

Dave Hadfield
26th Dec 2018, 10:21
You're welcome. I'm a child when it comes to video editing, but I kept the camera On for most of the summer.

The AH doesn't work because of the paranoia regarding instruments with WWII radium dials. It's almost impossible to find anyone who will repair them.

l.garey
26th Dec 2018, 12:25
Made me think back to my one and only T11 flight, at Valley back in 1961 when I was in the Oxford UAS. Happy days.

Laurence

sycamore
27th Dec 2018, 10:17
Dave, your brother gets his picture in the `Mil Aviation` Forum thread `Oh Dear.....`

ShyTorque
27th Dec 2018, 14:51
As an "ex" display pilot, I very much enjoyed this video, thanks. In my opinion, many modern displays of old aircraft are too ambitious and don't actually give the spectators the best views of the aircraft. It also keeps things very safe for the sake of all concerned. :ok: