PDA

View Full Version : Studying for Exams

BravoSierraKilo
24th Dec 2018, 16:03
I currently work in finance and travel a lot from Ireland to the UK and I also work a lot from home which means studying is bloody hard. I use Pooley's books and exam prep material and I also use question bank apps.

How have other people studied for their flight exams while juggling life? Have you sat them in a partucpart order or by simply what is eaiser?

The Irish Aviation Authority statess the 9 examinations must be completed in a maximum of 6 sittings. There is a maximum of 4 attempts at an examination and 9 examinations must be completed with 18 months from your first examination attempt.

Thanks

Mick

flyingkeyboard
25th Dec 2018, 19:34
Assuming PPL as that is what I am doing and I believe there are 14 ATPL exams.

Simply plan to make time for reading the books. I read 30 minutes to an hour a day and am flying (excuse the pun) through them. Closer to the exams I have been using PPLcruiser which has been a great way of confirming the learning.

maxar
26th Dec 2018, 18:54
As of my experience reading books and then solving questions is a waste of time. You should solve questions first even if you don't know anything about it. Then you can search the information in the book for that specific question. In this way, I learned the subjects more deeply and I didn't feel as bored as Iust reading books. I use AviationExam QB and a while ago found a free QB which has better questions in it that lastly appeared on my exams (atplexams.com). Hope this helps. Best of luck for exams.

eagleflyer
26th Dec 2018, 20:00
Going for the CPL here. Started four months ago, passed the first six subjects in November, I´ll sit the rest in January/February. I recommend Aviation Exam to hit the question bank, it´s good value. However, there were a lot of unknown questions in my official exams. Not unknown topics, but the questions were different, so you had to know the stuff. Simple learning by heart would not have been enough, especially in Mass&Balance, Performance and Flight Planning.
I have a long and broad aviation background, so things might have been easier so far for me than for the average student. I still started hitting the question bank only after having sat through the Youtube-videos you´ll find for each subject (The Pro Pilot). I´m completely paperless, no big files, it´s all on iPad and iPhone. I did a lot of learning while travelling. The mandatory classroom teaching is good to cover remaining questions. So far about 220hrs, no flying since October. It sure is a big effort and there´s no way I could do it without splitting the subjects.

BravoSierraKilo
7th Jan 2019, 21:13
Reading the questions and searching for the answers seems like a good way to learn.

I have the Pooley's exam books which have the questions from the EASA exam bank, this should give me a good base to start with.

I work in finance and run complex reports and at the moment I am building an Accounts Receivables process and procedure and moving the entire department from the UK to Ireland, yet when it comes to my Aviation studies it all seems so daunting!