PDA

View Full Version : It was the night before Christmas

Rated De
23rd Dec 2018, 22:58
A familiar echo is heard throughout the world as administration and management offices in airlines throughout the world fall silent.
That echo is occasionally interrupted by the footstep of the sole security guard and the hum of air conditioning quietly keeping those empty offices at an optimum temperature.

Whilst over at the terminals far away from Waterside, Cathay Pacific City or the aptly named Coward Street, life goes on.
Those staff generating the revenue, day after day continue to keep 'the show on the road' whilst bloated administration scoffs down another helping of plum pudding.
With Christmas hampers, bottles of signature wine, staff travel discounts and high priority on-load in their stockings ',management' although absent, never care to notice that without them the whole things keeps sailing along.
What little Christmas cheer is provided not by the company but the staff themselves. Clever HR (now on vacation) long ago stripping out anything resembling 'goodwill' and employees receive only a contractual entitlement never a cent nor mince pie more.

The customers don't have the comfortable whir of air conditioning, nor do they feel the largess and generosity of airline management.
They get crammed in as flights are cancelled, all in the name of yield management, and growing crew shortages, whilst dutiful pilots leave air conditioning off to save a few precious cents for management incentives.

Dark Knight
23rd Dec 2018, 23:45
And, A Merry Christmas to You and all who are doing `Managements' bidding.

Merry Christmas
Prosperous Healthy New Year
to all at PPrune

DK

V-Jet
23rd Dec 2018, 23:45
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUWV6g3dJDo

gordonfvckingramsay
24th Dec 2018, 02:04
Amen....

Mass absenteeism by front line staff is called a strike and management go to the FWC and the government in a state of panic.

Mass absenteeism by management is called a well earned break and we all just go on as usual, possibly even a little more mirthfully.

If there was ever proof that we make the world go around it is this.

Merry Christmas guys and dolls!!

dragon man
24th Dec 2018, 02:32
Santa flying around in a hot sled because management says turn the AC off, no chance. Santa very busy so his his foot is to the floor at cost index150/200, every chance.

drshmoo
24th Dec 2018, 04:48
Santa flying around in a hot sled because management says turn the AC off, no chance. Santa very busy so his his foot is to the floor at cost index150/200, every chance.

Wouldnít you be sitting at cost index 0 across the pacific complaining/ranting about the B787 contract?

dragon man
24th Dec 2018, 07:17
Wouldnít you be sitting at cost index 0 across the pacific complaining/ranting about the B787 contract?

Why would I bother , itís not my problem. The only zero in a cost index with me is after a 10, 15, or 20. Merry xmas.

GA Driver
24th Dec 2018, 07:26
Why would I bother , itís not my problem. The only zero in a cost index with me is after a 10, 15, or 20. Merry xmas.

indeed!

Instead of wasting another second worrying about Alan or infact anyone from coward street (the only exception is that video where Alan gets a pie in the face) I suggest a scotch on the rocks and a cheers to all the loved ones close by!

Cheers and Merry Christmas to all my high flying friends!

link added Incase you need a laugh...
https://youtu.be/-gNaOimfdfY

machtuk
24th Dec 2018, 07:54
indeed!

Instead of wasting another second worrying about Alan or infact anyone from coward street (the only exception is that video where Alan gets a pie in the face) I suggest a scotch on the rocks and a cheers to all the loved ones close by!

Cheers and Merry Christmas to all my high flying friends!

That was the best thing to have witnessed in a long time, so many would have wanted to do that, he got his just deserts!:-)
To those rostered to work on Xmas & NY's day, thanks for taking one for the boys club:-):-)

drshmoo
24th Dec 2018, 08:34

Fair enough!

that pie 🥧 guy should get a group present 🎁!

Rated De
24th Dec 2018, 11:07
Thanks GA driver...
By way of background the business function where Little Napoleon got his cream pie (is that a double entendre?) had a diverse audience.
Little Napoleon was rather distraught when the incident occurred.
Prior to the incident he had been happily recounting tales of wonder, among which detailed the moves he made to single handedly 'transform' Qantas.
Suffice to say he was rattled and spent a considerable time off stage.
Surrounded by minders he returned and feigned indifference. It may not have been terribly convincing on camera it was even less so if in the room.

It is rumoured the the personal protection team was told that they needed to be much closer to the asset...

Fantome
24th Dec 2018, 14:58
It is an Irish tradition to throw money into an open grave just before it is filled. Seamus was standing graveside with a long pointy stick in his hand. He fished out a twenty pound note, pocketed it, then took out his cheque book and wrote one for a hundred quid, tossing it into the grave. (Surely he has an equally cunning and conniving cousin awaiting his come-uppance in the colonies?)

Rated De
24th Dec 2018, 20:01
It is an Irish tradition to throw money into an open grave just before it is filled. Seamus was standing graveside with a long pointy stick in his hand. He fished out a twenty pound note, pocketed it, then took out his cheque book and wrote one for a hundred quid, tossing it into the grave. (Surely he has an equally cunning and conniving cousin awaiting his come-uppance in the colonies?)

Brilliant!

What is perhaps the most disappointing part for staff of Qantas is that the CEO is simply devoid of empathy, lacks connection to his fellow human and has forgotten all that growing up in difficult times in a country and time where poverty and underprivilege was widespread would have shown him.

Airlines are a labour intensive team sport, perhaps one of the most dynamic businesses there is.
Little Napoleon has a big pile of money and has achieved unparalleled success in uniting the staff, against him. That is a spectacular achievement for somebody who ought know the value of community.

That he needs constant protection every time he sets foot out side his little insulated office is perhaps the most ironic legacy he will leave.

machtuk
24th Dec 2018, 21:13
Brilliant!

What is perhaps the most disappointing part for staff of Qantas is that the CEO is simply devoid of empathy, lacks connection to his fellow human and has forgotten all that growing up in difficult times in a country and time where poverty and underprivilege was widespread would have shown him.

Airlines are a labour intensive team sport, perhaps one of the most dynamic businesses there is.
Little Napoleon has a big pile of money and has achieved unparalleled success in uniting the staff, against him. That is a spectacular achievement for somebody who ought know the value of community.

That he needs constant protection every time he sets foot out side his little insulated office is perhaps the most ironic legacy he will leave.

Well composed, he will be remembered for sure, mostly for all the wrong reasons:-)
Anyway it's Xmas, somewhere out there even the Leprechaun is loved, by someone:-)

dragon man
24th Dec 2018, 21:18
Well composed, he will be remembered for sure, mostly for all the wrong reasons:-)
Anyway it's Xmas, somewhere out there even the Leprechaun is loved, by someone.

Not by any of the pilots I fly with. 75% disengagement in the pilot ranks, a great Xmas present from Napoleon to the shareholders.

SRFred
25th Dec 2018, 07:54

That guy looks like the Rev Fred Nile!

Stationair8
26th Dec 2018, 21:20
Don’t forget the hard done by management people that have to work from home in the lead up to Christmas.

Likewise the ones that seem to have very flexible hours that allow them to start late, finish early, or simply disappear into the the ether for half day.

Merry Christmas and a happy new year, to the flight crews, airline staff, refuellers, ATC, BoM, fireies, safety officers etc working over the Christmas/New year.

bazza stub
26th Dec 2018, 22:46
Steady on there Atationair8! There are clauses in their agreement that stipulate flexible working hours so they can manage a good work life balance. Managers are people too you know :}

C441
26th Dec 2018, 22:47
Don’t forget the hard done by management people that have to work from home in the lead up to Christmas.
And those that have their company phone with them whilst holidaying. Duty travel categories are only just enough compensation for that! :cool:

The Bullwinkle
27th Dec 2018, 21:39
Mass absenteeism by front line staff is called a strike and management go to the FWC and the government in a state of panic.

Mass absenteeism by management is called a well earned break and we all just go on as usual, possibly even a little more mirthfully.

The only difference is that nobody even notices if the management are absent.
They could all drop dead tomorrow and the airlines would still keep running.
Front line staff on the other hand.............

gordonfvckingramsay
28th Dec 2018, 10:11
That was the point Bullwinkle, the only people who donít actually matter are management.

Rated De
31st Dec 2018, 20:28
That was the point Bullwinkle, the only people who don’t actually matter are management.

Thanks Gordon, it was the point.

At the time of posting, NYE celebrations are underway in the UK, Waterside is quiet. In the antipodes Australia wakes to a new year's day, presumably with hangovers and good intention.
Meanwhile at Coward street, the sole security guard commences his rounds in the carefully temperature controlled silent offices.

Yet just a short distance away from Waterside, in Heathrow, the last of the evenings departures are scheduled, the crews brief, the fuel and freight are loaded.
Over at Sir Charles Kingsford Smith airport, the domestic network has been steadily moving people from A to B for a few hours now.

Not an airline administrator, 'manager' or executive in sight.

73qanda
31st Dec 2018, 22:00
I feel sorry for them. Imagine not actually mattering.....imagine if the productitivity continued regardless of your absence, it would be a pretty hollow feeling. I’d get so down that I’d probably wander out to the Merc, drive to the beach house and watch the boats coming past the jetty while drinking red wine.

Rated De
1st Jan 2019, 06:24
I feel sorry for them. Imagine not actually mattering.....imagine if the productitivity continued regardless of your absence, it would be a pretty hollow feeling. I’d get so down that I’d probably wander out to the Merc, drive to the beach house and watch the boats coming past the jetty while drinking red wine.

Has it ever crossed your mind why there is so much animosity towards air crew at airlines?
No one dreams of being 'administrator' or indeed an 'accountant'. Children wanted to be firemen, train drivers, nurses or even pilots.
Aviation was perhaps an area of mystique, there was and still is, something fascinating watching an aircraft weighing many hundreds of tonnes departing an airport and next touching land 6000 miles away.
Children still do wave at trains and they still press their faces against the fence or the glass in a terminal looking at aircraft. Have yet to see gleaming children waving at cubicle dwellers.

It depends on how one wishes to spend their lives. If it is accumulation of possessions and fiat currency then they win.
Most airline employees join airlines with at least a little fascination of aviation, be they check in, ramp, dispatch, engineering or flight crew.
For those looking longingly at their late model Mercedes or their beaches houses and have to return to the cubicle in a few short weeks, confronting another 48 weeks of sheer human misery, cold comfort can be found in another deep gulp of expensive red wine. At least for a while.

The dark arts have the ascendancy industrially, they dream up another scheme to turn person against person they too, in the quiet time actually envy those that can.
Working for airlines as front line crew is a far different way to live than endless days of cube farming in a corporate BS factory, with or without the leased Mercedes.

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/business/the-economy/why-do-so-many-jobs-feel-meaningless-because-they-are-20180802-p4zv33.html

Imagine a life like that?
It would need to be a decent beach house and a late model Mercedes.
Now convicted criminal former CFO Peter Gregg loved his bonus time at QF. He fancied his new AMG Mercedes.
Not quite sure how he will park it is his new accommodation at Her Majesty's pleasure.

B772
1st Jan 2019, 09:41
Rated De,
Peter Gregg is not in Prison. His case is still before the Court. Should Peter be sentenced to a serve time it will be fairly minimal.

Rated De
1st Jan 2019, 19:02
Rated De,
Peter Gregg is not in Prison. His case is still before the Court. Should Peter be sentenced to a serve time it will be fairly minimal.

A convicted felon is a convicted felon.
Justice Rares mentioned a distinct possibility of a custodial sentence, but suffice to say either way Mr Gregg won't be holding any corporate high office any time soon.