PDA

View Full Version : Applying to sponsorship schemes while at Uni?

Speedbird744
1st Aug 2001, 01:58
Is applying for a Cadet Scheme (BA) not allowed whilst studying each year at university? Surely the University will find out and will be unhappy?
I'm thinking about reapplying each year while at uni if I keep on failing with BA, are there any disadvantages to this?

Sagey
1st Aug 2001, 02:24
I decided not to apply for sponsorships whilst at Uni for the main reason that
a)Uni is really building, it is a great experience and one not to be missed if you have the opportunity.

b)If you say get BA but then fail a medical in say 5 years time you have a fall back.

Sagey

Harry999
1st Aug 2001, 02:50
I'm just about to start my final year at uni. I should start applying now shouldn't I? with the intention of taking up a place on a scheme (fingers crossed) after I get my results. Or should I wait until I get my results or what?

Sagey
1st Aug 2001, 02:58
Personally would apply just after your last exam, means that any apps etc won;t get in way with Uni things, as these forms do take time (about 2-3 weeks each)

Sagey

skysoarer
1st Aug 2001, 04:47
There is no harm in applying just to experience the selections ... the early phases are usually fairly in-expensive but not cheap either (£50 - £80).

By all means try applying with the intention to win in your last year, make sure if you can that phases will not occur shortly before/during exams ... the uni course (or equiv.) is far far more important.

My uni openly encouraged applying for experience, they certainly won't be unhappy if you wish to leave if you got a place but they'd advise against it. A qualification like that could prove useful if you did fail a medical or something in the future - as Sagey says...

SS

Harry999
1st Aug 2001, 22:38
Is there a maximum number of times you may apply (ever or per year)?

Sagey
2nd Aug 2001, 03:27
For BA you can apply once a year until you are 27

The other you can only apply once a year, because they only run them once a year.

Sagey

Monkey See Monkey Do
3rd Aug 2001, 00:41
While I was at university I phoned up that number for BA Pilot Recruitment and they wouldnt give me an application form until I had finished my degree and was ready to start.

I phoned up twice with a six month gap in between and both times they refused. It was very annoying.

Still I've finally got first stage in 2 months time :)

Ez

skysoarer
5th Aug 2001, 03:51
At the end of the day its up to you what you do ... Ok most ATPL courses are effectively 18 month degrees anyway, but you may find yourself in the sticky stuff if you fail a medical and cannot fly. If you've got the chance at a further qualification it can only add another feather to your cap, and in this world where it seems to be dog eat dog - extra stills are everything and may help.

Its your call. But apply for the reasons above by all means, good experience; and if you get that chance by all means strike while the iron is hot.

SS