PDA

View Full Version : Need FAA Class 2 Medical if I have a CAA Class 1?

hoc11
23rd Dec 2018, 10:45
I intend on going to the states to do my FAA PPL and hour building phase before finishing the rest of the EASA ATPL in Europe. I already have a Class 1 CAA medical issued, will this be sufficient or will I need to get an FAA Class 2 medical issued prior to going to the states to commence the FAA PPL training?

Jjimmyy
23rd Dec 2018, 15:06
You'll need an FAA class 3. Your local FAA approved AME will charge you around £120 for this.

ahwalk01
24th Dec 2018, 10:44
I have the opposite query. I have FAA Class 1 with SODA and may look to get an EASA Class 2 initial. Trust this is straightforward?

Alex.

oggers
28th Dec 2018, 14:11
I already have a Class 1 CAA medical issued, will this be sufficient or will I need to get an FAA Class 2 medical issued prior to going to the states to commence the FAA PPL training?

Your foreign medical is no use in the USA unless you are using the foreign licence. You are intending to get an FAA Private Certificate so you need the FAA medical. As you have already passed the high bar of a CAA class 1 you may as well just go there and do the FAA 3rd Class medical, it will probably be quicker and certainly cheaper than doing it in Europe before travelling. I got my initial 2nd Class there for $80. They have 3 classes not 2 like the rest of the world. 3rd Class is for private.