PDA

View Full Version : Powered Flight, no mention ?

zetec2
21st Dec 2018, 19:46
December 17, 1903 first powered flight, the Wright Brothers, seems the date has passed without a mention, guess because not a big anniversary just passes as another day.

TURIN
21st Dec 2018, 19:59
You're four days late.

Was it a rogue drone?

Quemerford
22nd Dec 2018, 07:16
Why do we need to post on any and every anniversary? For those who feel the need, quiet reflection is often the best way.

Ditto for anniversaries that have a personal resonance. We have a plaque in our kitchen which recalls one relative's ultimate sacrifice at the battle of Aubers Ridge: he will never be forgotten, and neither are many, many key anniversaries.

DaveReidUK
22nd Dec 2018, 11:14
Divide the number of momentous dates in history by 365 and you will find that every single day of the year is the anniversary of hundreds of them.

That said, I'm glad the media found time to reflect yesterday on the 30th anniversary of Lockerbie.

zetec2
22nd Dec 2018, 18:50
Hm, sorry I mentioned it, just thought that if that hadn't happened we probably wouldn't be posting on Pprune, this forum today today.

Think quite momentous considering advances over the last Century or so.

tdracer
22nd Dec 2018, 21:01
After the first 10 years, people don't tend to pay much attention to anniversaries unless there is a zero at the end of it....
I recall a pretty big deal being made of the Wright Brothers flight in Dec. 2003.

longer ron
22nd Dec 2018, 21:27
Hm, sorry I mentioned it, just thought that if that hadn't happened we probably wouldn't be posting on Pprune, this forum today today.
I think we probably would still be posting on Pprune - other people were working on Powered Flight as well as the Wrights - so it still would have happened.

MightyGem
23rd Dec 2018, 20:07
I recall a pretty big deal being made of the Wright Brothers flight in Dec. 2003.
Yes. I was there. :ok: