PDA

View Full Version : CX interview

jsfboat
21st Dec 2018, 19:34
Hi all:

I have a video interview with CX for a First Officer position, was wondering if anyone has advice for that and the rest of the other interview stages. Current B737 Captain (applied as an FO) with more than 3500TT. I've been updating for seven years, so I'm glad they offered. Thanks for the replies.

Slasher1
21st Dec 2018, 19:38
I'd start by reading a few threads here.

My personal advice -- unless you are looking for interview experience and a free trip to Hong Kong knowing now what I didn't know then I'd stay as far away as humanly possible.

Just my two cents worth.

If you ARE in the US and have a job there stay in the US.

OK4Wire
21st Dec 2018, 21:06
What Slasher said. This is not the company from seven years ago.

AQIS Boigu
21st Dec 2018, 22:40
Looking at his previous posts it looks like he doesn’t have a degree and therefore can’t get into any of the majors in the US.

Cathay to the rescue (again)

Summit to Sea
22nd Dec 2018, 00:31
Have you read COS18???

claraball
22nd Dec 2018, 01:35
If you're a 737 CA then go to Xiamen Airlines. They're the highest paid airline in China. If not there pick another airline in China like HNA etc. They need 737 CA.

Brokeidiot
22nd Dec 2018, 06:17
This is just an attempt by someone to winde up everyone one on here. If they had been applying for 6 years they wouldn’t be asking that kind of question on here and actually expecting constructive advice.

Flying Clog
22nd Dec 2018, 06:33
Wind up alert!

No one is that stupid.

mngmt mole
22nd Dec 2018, 07:33
Wind up alert!

No one is that stupid.

.....well, he is apparently from New Jersey.... :}

arse
22nd Dec 2018, 11:22
Dear JSFBoat.
Just be open, be honest and don’t be a dick. That last one is the most important!
Hope that helps?
If you would like more info, could you answer a few questions first? Kind of a quid pro quo, ... but these may well be things you are asked at an interview.
Why do you want to join Cathay? Remember I said to be honest.
Are you single or married? Any kids? Do you know how much educating your kids will cost?
If you are married, what does your partner think of moving to Hong Kong?
Do you expect your salary to keep up with inflation?
What standard of living do you expect?
In a downturn, can you live on 70% of your salary? Do you know why I ask that question?
How long do you think it will be before you attempt Command?
Have you been to Hong Kong before? Have you looked into accommodation costs and standards? Do you hope to buy a property in Hong Kong?
Do you know what basic food items cost in Hong Kong?
Do you expect to save money for retirement?
What other options do you have?
I know it will take you a while to answer those questions, but before I invest my time in helping you, perhaps you will be kind enough to tell me what you already know.
Sound fair?

Scoreboard
22nd Dec 2018, 15:13
Updating 7 years......i think it means they werent interested or you were only interetsed in coming direct fo....seems you will have missed the boat on that one considering the contract they will offer you is a piece of crap....take the hint go elsewhere with your captain hours.

Kid Dynamite
22nd Dec 2018, 16:18
JSF, you are just the person they are looking for!

CyberT
22nd Dec 2018, 23:36
JSF,
You're already a 737 Capt so applying to CX means you're desperate.
Cathay love desperate. You're perfect.

Gnadenburg
23rd Dec 2018, 16:43
Current B737 Captain (applied as an FO) with more than 3500TT.

Is that a military 737 command? Otherwise, that's skinny levels of experience for civil aviation to have a jet command?

Dragon Pacific
24th Dec 2018, 00:41
Can you even apply to be a CX FO now? I understood that under PoS 18 you now apply to the “Group” and can end up with or be shifted between any of the group airlines. Quite how this will work I don’t know as we still don’t have a common seniority list; I would bet that is coming soon though.

CX ex
24th Dec 2018, 03:49
Keep in mind, the interview is a two way street. You are interviewing them as much as they are interviewing you.

With that said, perhaps you could come up with a few questions to ask them when the time comes.

Suggestions anyone?

Ill get some popcorn

The FUB
24th Dec 2018, 05:47
Just remember that you are being interviewed by Talent Acquisition Managers, who know nothing about flight ops, aircraft, flying, even life.

LLLQNH
24th Dec 2018, 09:34
Can you even apply to be a CX FO now? I understood that under PoS 18 you now apply to the “Group” and can end up with or be shifted between any of the group airlines. Quite how this will work I don’t know as we still don’t have a common seniority list; I would bet that is coming soon though.

Thats not correct, you still apply for specific jobs have a look on the careers website.

CX SO
CX FO
KA FO

interestingly the requirements for a DEFO at KA are higher than at cx!

A merger of current seniority lists for those of us already here and in the system has been ruled out, but it is understood that the possibility of a Y list for all new joiners from a date some time in the future is being explored. It might allow some operational flexibility particularly in exposing those less experienced to some window seat time during the Second Officer years!

jsfboat
26th Dec 2018, 00:42
To those of you that gave interview insight, I appreciate it. The rest of you, not sure what the problem is, I was just asking about the interview, not to critique me as a person. One person replied about me being desperate because I don't have my degree, well I have finished my degree earlier this year. I applied to CX a year before I went to upgrade, and was surprised to hear from them and am curious about them. That's all.

Cpt. Underpants
26th Dec 2018, 01:41
CX has become dysfunctional in every way.
Swire (the principal shareholder) has a "management contract" (forced, not voluntary) in which they use CX and CX Dragon as a training ground for their management hopefuls.
The consequence is a never-ending carousel of apprentices whose mandate during their (mis)management tenure is to reduce costs and increase profits.
Their oblivious attitude and single mindedness of purpose has destroyed the company, alienated their clientele and decimated employee morale.
The responses you see here are the cries of a wounded, struggling pilot group who see this once great company on it's knees and heading to sure oblivion.
Don't be a fool. Stay away.
You will writing on this BB in a just a few years imploring your colleagues to run for the hills.

cxorcist
26th Dec 2018, 02:26
If you have your degree and are a 737 skipper, you definitely should NOT be applying to be a CX SO or even FO. The new CoS18 is a joke. Even the Company is admitting that it’s not a sustainable contract and will need to be revised upward. CoS18 is a test for CX to see how low they can go and still attract “pilots”.

Summit to Sea
26th Dec 2018, 02:39
When did CX start video interviews?
Is this actually true?

They used to fly you to Hong Kong. My guess would be with the terrible POS18 on offer, all they can dredge up is the bottom of barrel. With these candidates, they must have a very high failure rate in the sim and/or interview that it’s costing them too much money???

Mumbai_radio
18th Jan 2019, 04:56
When did CX start video interviews?
Is this actually true?

They used to fly you to Hong Kong. My guess would be with the terrible POS18 on offer, all they can dredge up is the bottom of barrel. With these candidates, they must have a very high failure rate in the sim and/or interview that it’s costing them too much money???

It is ture. I am invited as well. The package looks terrible. I might not show up.

Oasis
18th Jan 2019, 05:34
You should go to the video interview with a cardboard cutout of Chuck Yeager, I wonder if they’d be able to tell.

CX ex
19th Jan 2019, 04:21
You'll regret it. For many reasons. Here are few that top the list.

Facial Hair (for strong personal reasons) Probably isn't going to happen at other airlines. The cost of shaving every day you're at work (less than CX) will cost you more than you think.

Schedule control and bidding. Looks good on paper, but you'll soon find that taking a few minutes out of your day to get weekends and important dates off will begin to add up. You can't get those minutes back.

Circadian Rhythm. You'll be on it. And now you'll be expected to participate in family events, social gatherings, hobbies, and exercise. All of which can be exhausting, time consuming and expensive. You'll be fatigued.

Flying in the daylight. Studies have shown that those accustomed to living in the light have a .002% greater chance of injury in the dark because of reduced night vision. Are you willing to chance an injury that could financially devastate your family because you can't see in the dark?

There are many more but since I have to adjust my schedule to my liking I haven't the time to post them.

Good luck