PDA

View Full Version : EASA medical “shopping”

Brainy330
21st Dec 2018, 12:58
Hi everyone,

something I cannot seem to find a single answer to:

I have a German Class 1, but as they are very strict about the Medical requirements, I may lose my Class 1 in the near future. I have spoken to several AME’s in Poland, Austria and Spain and the consensus was they would be able to give me a medical. According the German LBA, I am not able to transfer my medical once I have been turned down here. (I also have a German ATPL, but would be willing to transfer this also). What would be the best way to go about this? Does anyone have any experience with a similar situation?

Radgirl
21st Dec 2018, 16:03
My understanding is that you can take a renewal anywhere in EASAland, but the medical has to be returned to and held by the country that issues your license. So you would transfer your license to another EASA country who would then hold your medical. And probably not actually undergo the medical in Germany!

Brainy330
22nd Dec 2018, 12:03
But what happens if I started my renewal process in Germany, get told they wont allow me a medical and then I try somewhere else?

Radgirl
23rd Dec 2018, 18:33
I am not an AME, but on the application form you have to declare if you have ever been refused a medical. So presumably you would have to declare it in any other country too. You certainly would in the UK

Brainy330
23rd Dec 2018, 21:40
Thanks Citation!
this is good information, but the key is whether the German CAA would allow me a foreign medical after they themselves have denied me one. This is something I cannot seem to get my finger behind...

Hi Brainy

There is no need at all to have your medical transferred to another EASA country. The transfer of medical records is only required for a SOLI transfer that means you are changing the state of issue of your licence and this is not what you want to do. You just want to renew your medical and continue flying correct ?
in EASA land you can renew , revalidate your medical in any EASA AME , he just needs to send the report to your authority.

When you renew your medical in any EASA AME and he sends the report to your issuing licence authority , you are not doing a SOLI transfer but only renewing a medical at an approved EASA AME.

If you hold a German licence you are totally legal to have a medical from another contracting stating EASA as long as German LBA has your records that means the doctor needs to send the report of your examination .

Whatever was said would work with most of EASA issuing authorities but please confirm with German CAA.

Please do not confuse a State of licence of Issue transfer which REQUIRES to transfer the history of medical records with Renewing your medical in another EASA member state in which case there no need to transfer anything . The doctor just sends the report to your CAA

Take it like an LPC you can renew it anywhere in EASA land.

Radgirl
24th Dec 2018, 08:30
Sorry, I am confused. If you have already lost your license your authority will need you to satisfy them your problem has been sorted. If you havent yet lost your license just go to another country and do your medical as Citation2 has suggested. If you have a medical problem the German authorities are looking into and you are worried they may be about to act upon, a new medical wont help.....

Please PM me if it would help

whitelabel
28th Dec 2018, 09:47
You might do your medical in any easa country but as said the details have to be send to the licencing authority and ultimately they will decide if you are fit to fly or not. For example: you do your medical with a Polish or Austrian AME. They will issue a Polish or Austrian medical but all the medical files will be sent to the Germans and they might decide to revoke your medical if they see something they dont like or they may require you to undergo additional testing. If you know that another EASA country will be less strict or more relaxed with your condition then transfer your licence to that state asap with the SOLI form now that you still have a medical!

Private jet
28th Dec 2018, 20:02
Oh, there's me thinking EASA was all about an equivalent standard across all member states... so, with SOLI transfer "complications" could someone enlighten me as to what the point of EASA actually is? The looser movement of labour yes but anything else??

22/04
29th Dec 2018, 15:43
It is a common set of rules but there is scope for different interpretation between MS.

Private jet
29th Dec 2018, 20:08
It is a common set of rules but there is scope for different interpretation between MS.

Yes, we know that. But what is the point of that, exactly??

Radgirl
31st Dec 2018, 11:05
At the risk of mentioning the B word, there is no point. It is a fact. This is not unique to aviation - there are many instances where the UK interpret EU legislation in different ways

However, in the case of medicals, it is not only interpretation of legislation but the 'thoroughness' or perhaps 'pedanicness' of the doctors and systems. Many AMEs in the UK will bend over backwards to keep a pilot current, whereas those in some other countries will pull a medical at the whiff of an issue

Private jet
31st Dec 2018, 20:39
That is very ,very true. My original question still stands though. What was the true purpose of EASA??