PDA

View Full Version : Streaming Rate for WSOs?

silverjs
31st Jul 2002, 14:44
Hello all,

I was wondering if anybody knew of the streaming rate for WSOs to Fast Jets, historically? Just a ballpark figure, mind you...

Reason I ask is that I have successfully (up to now) applied as a WSO in the RAF, and my big hope is to attain Fast Jet. I was simply wondering what my chances were... (Oh, and before anybody asks - I most certainly DID apply for pilot, but my eyes were 20/20 -1! Didn't make the cut for them...so, far from me the idea of resurrecting an age-old debate....:) )

While we're at it, anybody have an idea as to what goes on in a pre-screening interview? I've read a lot about the one at OASC (most of it on this very forum), but I have a pre-screening to be done soon with the Air Attache here in Ottawa. I was simply wondering if some people on this board had been through one (or knew about them) and could enlighten me as to what goes on in there....

Again, many thanks.

Chris Kebab
31st Jul 2002, 14:57
Could be interesting as, if I recall correctly, the Air Attache (or is it Advisor these days) in Ottowa is a sailor!

But then again he has other interests and it might be worth brushing up on why people get DSCs!

ShutUp and Drive
31st Jul 2002, 15:12
Silverjs,

Have been thru the WSO mill recently. The streaming rate for FJ is probably 6 from a cse of 10, as long as you make the grade of course. Even if you do make the grade, there is a chance you could get streamed to the Maritime fleet or perhaps less likely by the time you get thru, rotary. Depends on your ranking in the cse, service needs and finally, your choice.

My cse had 5 at streaming and 4 went to FJ. The following cse had 10, 3 to maritime and 1 to rotary, with 6 to FJ. They allegedly like an even number on the low level course which is the first phase post streaming for the FJ boys.

As for the pre-board, it SHOULD follow the same format as the OASC interview. If the Ottowa AA has done the correct courses, you should do well if you have fully prepared for the real thing.

Whatever happens, good luck.:)

silverjs
31st Jul 2002, 15:31
ShutUp And Drive,

OK, so how many people actually DO make the grade, in terms of usual proportions?

Chris Kebab
31st Jul 2002, 19:04
silverjs - and if it is indeed my memory is correct and it turns out to be a sailor don't forget to drop in a thought on the disgraceful decision to bin SHAR and at least "appear" sympathetic to the plight of the FAA!

Good luck.

ShutUp and Drive
1st Aug 2002, 13:46
On a course starting with 10, you could perhaps expect to lose between 0 and say 4 (on a bad cse). These people can expect to be recoursed (unless they really couldn't find their arse in bath), so you normally make it to streaming with pretty much a full cse. As such, the 60% rule then applies.

If you struggle on a module, you are normally given some extra hours (flex). Depending on the timing, this could put you so far behind you are recoursed straight away. Other times you can play catch up. If you then pork up again, either on the same or later module, you have a further review and usually more flex, though some are recoursed from that point. Finally, if you pork up a third time you will either be recoursed or chopped totally, depending on your flying record to date and your attitude, amongst other things.

At the end of the day, it is all down to the individual. Some people work their asses off and never make it. Some just cruise on through the cse. If you are selected then remember it is not rocket science. Work as hard as you can and you should be rewarded. As a former instructor, I can assure you that hard graft and a good attitude go a long way.:)