PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Aircraft Hire in Spain ??

SpainHire
20th Dec 2018, 23:43
Hi guys, quick question really... I want to fly approx 40 hours to add to my logbook in a SEP, preferably a Warrior. Would really appreciate south of Spain as the weather is great there, I trained there and to allow for my girlfriend to join me as pax. I have an EASA CPL (frozen ATPL) and ME/IR is valid also.

I would also prefer the plane IFR ready, as I'd want to do most of my flights IFR. I'm valid on night also, so if that's an option, I'm happy to look at it.

Ideally looking to do 4-8 hours flying a day, separated. I understand obviously I'll need a check out flight, and I'll subtract that from my target hours.

I've found a few places, like Fly in Spain, but they are quite expensive (e.g. a Warrior is 150 EUR wet, minus unspecified landing fees -- same plane in England is £110 per hour wet with fees included). Only a difference of over 30 EUR per hour, but I'm on a budget and if I take 40 hours, that's 1,200 euro difference. A sizeable chunk for someone not yet working...

So any ideas of recommendations around the Andalusia region would be really appreciated. I actually trained in Jerez, which is why I found FIS quickly, but I'm completely unfamiliar with any other places to hire from in that area... whether its a school, a business or whatever, I don't mind as I'll be solo, I just want a reliable plane to do some nice long navs!

Thanks in advance!

ChickenHouse
21st Dec 2018, 04:15
£110-€150 is already cheap and most probably doesn't even cover costs. You are searching for some stranger to gift you money.

SpainHire
21st Dec 2018, 08:36
Not at all. I'm happy with £110. I'm not happy with 150EUR. If I could get a similar price in Spain as the £110 it costs in the UK, then that's great news.

9 lives
21st Dec 2018, 12:39
If I could rent a reliable plane in Spain for 100 Euros, it would also be great news, and it would be unrealistic. The UK and Spain are two different markets. By asking for "cheap" you are not starting out a mutually respectful business arrangement, what service provider wants to be thought of as cheap? Certainly not the one who provides a reliable service!

I suggest that if you would like to economize on a reliable service, you inquire about a block time arrangement, a "volume" purchase, so to speak.

Phororhacos
22nd Dec 2018, 08:24
I'm curious as to where in the UK you can get a Warrior for £110 per hour including landing fee (or is that in addition to a club/group membership subscription?).

Pilot DAR
23rd Dec 2018, 00:21
I certainly don't know the market in Spain, so cannot comment directly about that. In general, in my early days, when I was low on finances and had lots of time, I put my time into an organization wherever I could, to offset money I really did not have. Three good things happened from that, I did get the use of aircraft at reduced cost occasionally, as my effort was recognized. I got to know the aircraft better (particularly the many bellies I scrubbed clean!), and I got to be known by people who recognized I was a worker, and offered me more opportunity, both flying (including unusual types) and employment. I have never looked back, and always been employed in aviation since my first days as a student pilot. My financial challenge became my success!

Jan Olieslagers
23rd Dec 2018, 11:57
@ 9 lives: yes, "cheap" sounds unfortunate. The discussion will however be between two native speakers of Spanish, on both of whom this subtlety may well be lost. "Affordable" might sound less rough, though, indeed.

On the root of the matter: French clubs seem to rent out their 4-seater DR400's at around 100€, generally; while UK is a very different country, of course, why couldn't Spain be similar?

Pilot DAR
23rd Dec 2018, 21:13
I feel for PA-28 owners, as there is a proposed AD, which could be very burdensome. It's one of those nasty surprises which an owner can experience, when the aircraft they own is captured in a safety AD, and there is no choice but to endure the expense of compliance. It's one of those background things which rental pilots sometimes don't appreciate, the background expenses of aircraft ownership.

hunterboy
23rd Dec 2018, 22:41
In my experience, things that are seen as luxuries in Spain tend to cost more than in the UK, whereas staple items are generally cheaper. It’s almost as though the wealthy are trying to keep the riff-raff away.