PDA

View Full Version : Residency Requirements

canthelpit
19th Dec 2018, 11:15
Hi all,

Have a question regarding residency in the UK or Europe.

I have a British and an Irish passport and my family and I will potentially move to Europe in a few years.
My wife will not be a permanent resident for at least five years when we move to the UK or Europe, as such she can’t be employed by airlines from what I see. She has an Australian ATPL and is Ex airline.
so I am hoping to find out what the residency requirements are with corporate jet operators.

Very grateful in advance for any information!

what next
19th Dec 2018, 11:57
Hello!

...so I am hoping to find out what the residency requirements are with corporate jet operators.

There are so many possible situations (e.g. employed staff with an EU based commercial operator, freelancing for an EU based commercial operator, employed staff for a corporate/private operator having his plane/s on a EU/EASA register, freelance staff for the same, employed staff for a corporate/private operator having his plane/s on a register outside EU/EASA, ...) that there can't be a single answer.

Myself I fly with a company in the first category of these examples, and we have had plenty of freelancers and short-term employees with US and Swiss nationality and foreign residence in the past. All they need is an EASA license. I do not know what kind of paperwork was involved to make that possible but obviously it can be done. And this is the most restrictive of the categories I listed as an example!
The bottom line: If they need you they will find a way to employ you. And if they don't need you the non-resident status might become a lever to get rid of you.

Regards
Max

NB: EU citizenship gives you the natural right to live and work in any EU country. But that does not mean that otherwise you can not work here.

zloi
20th Dec 2018, 08:36
Permanent residency is not necessary, your wife probably will have a long term one in the beginning, and it's enough. The only requirement will be EASA license. I have a russian passport, EASA license and work in the Czech Republic on the bizjets with a work permit/long term residence. Once you have a good expirience and a "proper" license it's not a problem for any company to go through the paper work and hire you.