PDA

View Full Version : BA to resume flights to Pakistan

Auxtank
18th Dec 2018, 15:54
British Airways is to restart flights to Pakistan next year, more than 10 years after it halted services following a major hotel bombing.

Thomas Drew, the British High Commissioner to Pakistan, said BA's return was a "reflection of the great improvements" in security.
BA's Robert Williams said: "It's exciting to be flying between Islamabad and Heathrow from next year, which we believe will be particularly popular with the British Pakistani community who want to visit, or be visited by, their relatives."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46604748

Sqwak7700
19th Dec 2018, 00:58
Exciting for who? Backwards place with backwards customs. I find a trip to the dentist for root canal work more exiting than the prospect of operating and then overnighting in Pakistan.

Standby Scum
19th Dec 2018, 02:12
Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f73B3kVHj58&feature=em-uploademail

Carbon Bootprint
22nd Dec 2018, 04:14
Exciting for who? Backwards place with backwards customs. I find a trip to the dentist for root canal work more exiting than the prospect of operating and then overnighting in Pakistan.

I'm sure it's quite exciting for the BA beancounters who analyze how much of their revenue comes from traffic to the sub-continent, and who find re-opening this service as a real bonus-winner.

I'm with you on not wanting to go or stay there, however. This was clearly something from the head office, not the coal face.

G4HQ
22nd Dec 2018, 05:56
In 1984 Ian Botham famously said it was a good place to send your mother-in-law.

Mr Angry from Purley
22nd Dec 2018, 06:31
I'm sure it's quite exciting for the BA beancounters who analyze how much of their revenue comes from traffic to the sub-continent, and who find re-opening this service as a real bonus-winner.

I'm with you on not wanting to go or stay there, however. This was clearly something from the head office, not the coal face.

I'm sure the decision to re-commence operations will have been subject to a healthy risk assessment which would have included those that represent the coal face. I'm also fairly sure the assessment will include some on-going security advice as we all know things change on a regular basis in this area of operation.

wiggy
22nd Dec 2018, 06:51
I'm sure the decision to re-commence operations will have been subject to a healthy risk assessment which would have included those that represent the coal face.

I admire your optimism.

22/04
22nd Dec 2018, 07:42
Pakistan is a commonwealth country and post Brexit the government will be pleased to see BA resuming ops to places such as this who will be seen as our new trading partners. BA must alos belive they can make money- there are many wealthy ethnic Pakistanis here and many wealthy ones there who will want to fly direct business class to the UK.

While there are risks, as one who worked there 1990-2005 including the first Gulf War I never felt particularly unsafe though did at times have a personal armed guard.

followthegreens
22nd Dec 2018, 08:46
I never felt particularly unsafe though did at times have a personal armed guard

I'll wear my high vis then, just as a precaution :}

eckhard
22nd Dec 2018, 13:31
An evening at the British High Commission for a curry and some British beer, BBC on the TV/radio, yesterday’s Daily Telegraph and the current issue of Private Eye to peruse, a game of snooker, all for a few chits that one buys for about 50p each from the wallah at the entrance; what’s not to like?

Hussar 54
22nd Dec 2018, 13:39
Used to do occasional flights into Karachi - where happiness was a dry fart.

Doug E Style
22nd Dec 2018, 14:53
An evening at the British High Commission for a curry and some British beer, BBC on the TV/radio, yesterday’s Daily Telegraph and the current issue of Private Eye to peruse, a game of snooker, all for a few chits that one buys for about 50p each from the wallah at the entrance; what’s not to like?

Sounds great! Can you measure things in feet and inches, degrees Fahrenheit, and pounds and ounces too? All whilst having a pop at Johnny Foreigner. Ah, the empire! Go back to the 1950s, and stay there, Sir Herbert Gussett.

eckhard
22nd Dec 2018, 20:35
I was describing my last layover there, which was in March, 2007. And yes; it was great, thanks!

sikeano
24th Dec 2018, 19:54
It is not as bad as Doh(a)ell to be fair

Auxtank
24th Dec 2018, 21:13
Sounds great! Can you measure things in feet and inches, degrees Fahrenheit, and pounds and ounces too? All whilst having a pop at Johnny Foreigner. Ah, the empire! Go back to the 1950s, and stay there, Sir Herbert Gussett.Certainly didn't start this thread to illicit such post-colonial, guilt inciting prejudice like that from you, Sir.
Please keep it about the recently re-opened route and not about any deep held claptrap you might have developed through no fault of your own. Keep the politics to yourself or another forum.

blimey
25th Dec 2018, 22:52
what’s not to like?

https://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/21/world/asia/21islamabad.html

weemonkey
26th Dec 2018, 12:25
Certainly didn't start this thread to illicit such post-colonial, guilt inciting prejudice like that from you, Sir.
Please keep it about the recently re-opened route and not about any deep held claptrap you might have developed through no fault of your own. Keep the politics to yourself or another forum.
Well said! :D

A320ECAM
26th Dec 2018, 12:36
I would rather be taxied around in Paris at high speed not wearing a seatbelt than ever go back to Pakistan!

However, BA being the happy bunch they are, will obviously love this new route. I feel sorry for the cabin crew and cleaners who will have to deal with the SLF and the mess they create in the cabin!!

wiggy
26th Dec 2018, 14:32
What a bunch of whiter than white, holier than though, cleaner than clean pricks some of you are. Where are the moderators to moderate all this disguised racism?

Without passing comment on any of the previous posts I think some of the disquiet being voiced her and elsewhere, especially by those who will have to make the BA accountants dream a reality, is as a result of this:

U.K. Government Advice - Travel to Pakistan. (https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/pakistan)

Terrorists are very likely to try to carry out attacks in Pakistan. There’s a high threat of terrorism, kidnap and sectarian violence throughout the country, including the cities of Islamabad, Rawalpindi, Lahore and Karachi. You should be vigilant, avoid all crowds, public events, political gatherings, religious processions and sporting events, and take appropriate security precautions (https://www.gov.uk/reduce-your-risk-from-terrorism-while-abroad).

Foreigners, in particular westerners, may be directly targeted. Densely populated unsecured areas, such as markets, shopping malls, restaurants and places where westerners and the Pakistani elite are known to congregate, are potential focal points for attacks. You should be extra vigilant at all times and minimize your exposure to areas that pose a higher risk.

I’ll add that like at least one or two others here I have experienced the joys of the ISB in the past and found it highly enjoyable, but that was a while back.

M.Mouse
26th Dec 2018, 21:26
Quote:what’s not to like?https://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/21/w...islamabad.html (https://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/21/world/asia/21islamabad.html)

That clip is 10 years old!

I haven't been there since 2007 but like most countries with a terrorism problem the ordinary people are decent and as fed up with the disruption as anybody else.