PDA

View Full Version : Anyone for sharing costs for hour buiding?

calypso
1st Aug 2001, 00:47
I am a recently qualified frozen ATPL and setting my sights on going to the US to do 200hrs aprox. If anybody is interested in sharing the costs and doing a bit of travelling/serious IFR practice please send me an email.

My timeframe would be to set off in the next couple of weeks.

Any information or advice from anybody that has already done it is also much apreciated.

Calypso

Perfect PFL
4th Aug 2001, 00:56
You do know that, unless you have an instructors rating, only the person flying as P1 can log the time in their logbook, don't you?

In that way, although you'd only pay for half the flying, you'd also only be able to log half the hours. Of course, there are benefits, like being able to fly further, and have some company etc, but you still only get the hours you pay for.

Just thought I'd make sure you realise this.

davebuckley
4th Aug 2001, 03:10
Perfect PFL (I dont believe the monicker !) is right, even though the US higherers will tell you different, because while under the FAA system you can claim P2 on a non-multicrew type, those hours will not be recognised by the CAA for licence issue, and if you lie on the application, you might as well not bother going to the US in the first place!

Perfect PFL
4th Aug 2001, 13:36
Are you questioning my award winning PFL's? :)

calypso
4th Aug 2001, 22:10
You are both ofcourse correct, but a flying hour is an hour more up there and you can still gain valuable experience from it even if you cannot log it. On adition americans are good business men and offer bigger discounts if you team up and buy more hours. Finally it has to be safer and more fun to go with somebody rather than flying on your own.

HomerSimpson
4th Aug 2001, 23:39
Im interested in doing some multi hour building if anyone is too. CPL/IR with instructors on its way...

Homer

foghorn
5th Aug 2001, 15:18
HS, if you can wait until early 2002, I might be up for some multi hour building

foggy.

[ 05 August 2001: Message edited by: foghorn ]

Perfect PFL
5th Aug 2001, 15:19
Calypso,

I agree with you completely. It is safer, and more interesting, to have someone fly with you while you're hours building, and you will learn from sitting next to someone else and gaining from their experiences.

I was just making sure it was known that not all the hours can be logged.

malc4d
8th Aug 2001, 02:40
let me know when you'll be there, lm a faa cfi/mei home in sanford if that helps, we can both log the time

yahooair
8th Aug 2001, 11:06
I know where you can time build in the U.S.
Not expensive at all!!
e-mail me at [email protected]

Grandad Flyer
9th Aug 2001, 22:19
I can highly recommend hour building with someone in the other seat. All sorts of good things you can practice. Also really useful for getting charts, out, doing hard IFR stuff. I can also say that you could try putting an ad at your local flying schools. When I went hour building I found 2 people who held PPLs but were definitely not looking to go down the commercial route and as such were looking for a good holiday, doing some flying, but ultimately just wanted to come along for the experience. Both paid half the flying costs and I logged the hours. What they logged I do not know or care. The CAA were never going to see their logbooks again anyway. But don't quote me!!!
Just a thought.