PDA

View Full Version : Mounted aerial video cameras – what’s happening?

Dick Smith
17th Dec 2018, 01:08
I think I may have asked this a few years ago, but does anyone know if there is a low-cost form of mounting a Go-Pro onto a fixed wing plane (say, the wing of a Cessna), with pan and tilt available and some form of stability?

Also is there a camera without a rolling shutter so you can get relatively steady images? I would have thought by now something would appear, considering so much may be made for drones.

I look forward to any advice.

Squawk7700
17th Dec 2018, 03:49
Hi Dick,

Have a look on YouTube and search for “GoPro 7 Hypersmooth.”. They are very impressive for the result based on the size of the camera - standard GoPro size. It’s on the “black” model.

If you could couple that with a remote controlled gimbal, you’d have quite a workable solution, but the GoPros aren’t amazing in terms of zoom capability.

Hypersmooth demo (http://www.flightstore.com.au/nflightcam-gopro-audio-power-cable?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIncPVho2f3wIVmraWCh35YQgmEAkYASABEgJw APD_BwE)

Duck Pilot
17th Dec 2018, 05:23
G’day Dick,
Just remember to ensure you lash out a bit of cash to our beloved regulator! So they can put their expert blessing on the camera installation if you haven’t got an Engineering Order (EO) or STC for the equipment installation.

A few AWIs are hot on non approved installations such as cameras, yoke mounted iPads and RAM mounted GPSs and the like.

The RPAS sector is really taking over aerial photography these days.

zanthrus
17th Dec 2018, 05:39
You can buy a metal mount from the USA that simply goes on a slightly longer aircraft type machine screw. Pick one on the airframe and replace. Done. Who cares what CASA say. You won't reduce the strength of the airframe with one screw missing even if it fell out. The thing I would be worried about is losing an expensive camera if it fell off.

Duck Pilot
17th Dec 2018, 06:02
Totally agree, however you will potentially incriminate yourself if you put anything you filmed in the public domain if it can be proven that the fit wasn’t blessed by our friends, just be aware.

BTW, our friends do scoure the internet for these kind of activities, it’s easier than playing the cop on the ramp, Trust me - I used to be one of them!

RadioSaigon
17th Dec 2018, 06:18
The rolling shutter issue is usually rectified by use of Neutral Density (ND) filters Dick. From memory, mine was a 2-3 stop ND. I’ve not replaced it since I lost it on a high-speed short approach a couple years ago -I was using an adhesive mount that had only had around 6hrs to cure, rather than the 24hrs+ recommended. There’s a few different ND options available on the Net if you search. I did really like the results from simply slowing the shutter speed down.

Dick Smith
17th Dec 2018, 08:42
Surely there must be a pan and tilt head available that can withstand 160knots?

Squawk7700
17th Dec 2018, 09:12
Sounds like you need a commercial version of one of these, unless you’re into DIY :-) It would need power and a receiver and remote control or to run wires... a can of worms. I can see issues with fitting a dome, however the new GoPro’s are waterproof pic without the old school clear plastic box. Looks like a fairly simple design but might be hard to wire up. Depending on your mission profile, you may also need to run power out to the camera(s).

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/2-axial-uav-gimbal.html?countrycode=AU&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItuzRnM-m3wIViwsrCh0rAQ_jEAQYAiABEgKrkvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&___store=en_us

I haven’t been following 360 degree cameras closely of late, however with 360 degree, the camera films automatically in all directions and then you edit the footage later, using the views that you want to.

https://www.videoguys.com.au/Shop/p/39299/insta360-one-action-camera-ios-instaone.html

* Watch the promo YouTube on the above page - very clever idea.

LeadSled
17th Dec 2018, 21:54
. Done. Who cares what CASA say. .

zanthrus,
Exactly, who cares about a criminal record that will exclude you from many countries like US and Canada, and a $10,000 plus fine.
Tootle pip!!

Konev
18th Dec 2018, 19:17
Cant even use an off the shelf mount in NZ (the ones that clip onto tiedown loops) all needs to be certified and all that crap.

We had a gopro mount being made for the Airvan but its become a phantom.

Dick, the GoPro 360 might be what you are after, the editing software allows you to pan and tilt around the shot, might not be the resolution you are after but the tech is coming along.

Squawk7700
18th Dec 2018, 22:14
I purchased a GoPro7 with hypersmooth last night... very impressive image stabilization. 4K @60fps is impressive too. Will probably need to upgrade my PC to edit the videos though at 4K as it takes a lot of grunt. Typical GoPro though, fairly wide angle and not in any way zoomed.

tartare
19th Dec 2018, 00:06
160 knots?
When the Russian Knights wanted to capture some GoPro footage - they used a `home made' mount:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5114191/Russian-Knights-aerobatic-performance-captured-Pro.html
But then again, our comrades don't have to worry about CASA...