PDA

View Full Version : Foreign C208 endorsement + CASA

jjhews
13th Dec 2018, 08:15
Looking to hear from anyone who's gone through the process.
I'll have a Cessna 208 endorsement done in South Africa. My question is around the validity of the endorsement as far as flying in Australia goes, if I decide to come back here, what is the process to have this recognised with CASA?

Also, the SA C208 seem to not come with GTEs. Am I correct in saying I'd need the GTE to fly in Aus?

Kagamuga
13th Dec 2018, 20:29
I have no idea of a 'GTE' but .... you obtain a letter of confirmation from Sth Africa, sent directly to CASA in Australia and your licence endorsement/type rating will be recognised.

Go to the CASA Australia; there is plenty of information regarding recognition of Foreign qualifications.

VH DSJ
13th Dec 2018, 22:11
You’ll need to download and submit CASA Form 61- 4CT including all supporting documentation. There are bascically two options.

B1. After completion of your type rating course, you have the type rating endorsed on your foregn license.

B2. You undergo a type rating course provided by a foreign type rating training organisation using a foreign testing officer, after which, that testing officer fills in Form 61-4CT appendix 1 and 2 which in effect adds the rating on your CASA license.

I’ve done it both ways for two jet type ratings and Option B1 is by far the simplest option requiring less paperwork.

jjhews
14th Dec 2018, 05:59
Thank you gentlemen!

roundsounds
14th Dec 2018, 08:16
As far as I know the C208 isn’t a type rating. It fits into the odd category of requiring training by a Part 141 certificate holder followed by a flight review. Best email your details to CASA for an answer. Don’t phone them, it’s too easy to obtain the wrong info.

Left 270
14th Dec 2018, 10:09
I’m with RS. No TR required for a C208, just GTE if not already on your Oz licence and a flight review required.

jjhews
14th Dec 2018, 22:28
Do you happen to know whether the GTE is an Aus requirement? Southern African trainers don't offer this as part of the C208 training, all you leave with is a C208 endorsement on your licence. Upon asking, all of them say they have no idea one is needed, which is odd, unless it is specific to CASA.

Capt Fathom
14th Dec 2018, 22:56
61.765 Requirements for grant of design feature endorsements

jjhews
14th Dec 2018, 23:10
Thanks Captain