PDA

View Full Version : Jet To Turboprop

JT8D-17
11th Dec 2018, 23:38
Hi all

Thinking about changing from the left seat of a jet for a turboprop to get based at home.

Good or bad move career wise? I have 4000 PIC on jets. Would those hours still stand to me if I wanted to go back to jets down the road considering I would not be current anymore?

Mach E Avelli
12th Dec 2018, 02:01
Everyone’s situation is different. If your finances can stand the lower turboprop salary and your ego won’t take a hit every time a shiny jet taxis past, and the lifestyle on offer is better, go for it.
I have moved back and forth between jets and turboprops several times in my career. In every case I put lifestyle ahead of equipment. It would be dishonest of me to say I put my family first, because in the earlier years I looked more at how good the local beaches were and how much spare time I would have to enjoy them. Of course the family did benefit from joining me on the ride. It also helped that my wife did not require his and hers matching BMWs.
As a result of this attitude, my health and well-being is good, marriage intact and finances, while not nearly as good as many, are still better than the average worker bee.
You have the jet time, so can always go back later. Like riding a bike you won’t forget.

Council Van
12th Dec 2018, 08:14
It's all about quality of life!

six-sixty
12th Dec 2018, 10:39
I did exactly what you're proposing, left the LHS of a jet for a TP to get a base move home. Hated it so got another jet position locally with another employer quite quickly. My short stint back on the TP didn't seem to harm my chances, but then again the market is a bit crazy at the moment! Good luck

Falck
12th Dec 2018, 23:03
True words above. Put a time traveller in your choice. Where are you today, where will you be in 5 years etc. Life, family, job.
In the end your flying job has to pay the bills.
It might have been a dream. Over time, you know it is a job.

good luck,

Falck

JT8D-17
12th Dec 2018, 23:25
Thank you all for your reply's so far.

More opinions welcome!

NoelEvans
13th Dec 2018, 01:34
For anyone with common sense, lifestyle should always trump shiny aeroplane types or piles of cash. If a turbo-prop (or a 'less shiny' jet) gives you the lifestyle, that is the common sense answer. Memories about the money you earned is temporary. Memories of the time that you had with your family due to a better lifestyle will last with you for ever. Or put it a better way: Your money (and/or that 'shiny jet') won't remember the time that you had with it once you've gone. Your family will remember the time that you had with them after you've gone.

But watch out that you will be getting that better lifestyle on the turbo-prop as some of their rosters can be rather 'brutal' too. However, turbo-props may give you a location that is the real lifestyle winner (just as a couple of small examples, I don't think I would again be able to tolerate regularly going through security checkpoints with more than three or four other people, or having a lengthy bus journey to and from the staff car park).

And the way the job market is going, I don't think that you would have any problem getting back onto jets if you wanted. Good luck!