PDA

View Full Version : Another one of "the few" is gone

Tankertrashnav
10th Dec 2018, 17:18
https://britainatwar.keypublishing.com/2018/12/07/flight-lieutenant-william-hughes-dfc

A reminder that not all Battle of Britain aircrew were Spitfire or Hurricane pilots. William (Bob) Hughes served on 23 Squadron, one of the 10 Blenheim squadrons which took part in The Battle, and who have never received much recognition. The Blenheim crew of three included an observer (navigator) and an air gunner, all of whom received the "Battle of Britain" clasp.

RIP Bob

Asturias56
10th Dec 2018, 17:25
How many are left? I think the last Belgian who was in the Battle and died a few years back was also an Air Gunner (later a pilot) in Blenheims

Tankertrashnav
11th Dec 2018, 08:58
I think we are down to seven now:
Flight Lieutenant William Clark, 219 Squadron
Wing Commander John Elkington, 1 Squadron
Wing Commander Paul Farnes, 501 Squadron
Squadron Leader John Hart, 602 Squadron
Flying Officer John Hemmingway, 86 Squadron
Pilot Officer Archie McInnes, 601 Squadron
Flight Lieutenant Maurice Moundson, 56 Squadron

I can't verify that but it would seem to be about right

Finningley Boy
11th Dec 2018, 14:20
I think we are down to seven now:
Flight Lieutenant William Clark, 219 Squadron
Wing Commander John Elkington, 1 Squadron
Wing Commander Paul Farnes, 501 Squadron
Squadron Leader John Hart, 602 Squadron
Flying Officer John Hemmingway, 86 Squadron
Pilot Officer Archie McInnes, 601 Squadron
Flight Lieutenant Maurice Moundson, 56 Squadron

I can't verify that but it would seem to be about right

86 Squadron? Would that not be 66 Squadron? Or 85 Squadron?

FB

polecat2
11th Dec 2018, 19:55
F/O John Allman Hemingway - 85 Sqdn.
Polecat

India Four Two
11th Dec 2018, 20:32
After reading TTN’s list, I did some research and discovered that I had somehow missed the news that Geoffery Wellum died in July. I must get out my copy of First Light and re-read it.

When I think that I went solo in a Chipmunk at 20, I can barely comprehend the idea of someone going to war in a Spitfire at 18!

Tankertrashnav
11th Dec 2018, 22:43
Thanks to the correction to my list FB - just copied and pasted it as it was

Finningley Boy
12th Dec 2018, 10:01
Your welcome Tankertrashnav!

FB

David Thompson
12th Dec 2018, 22:17
Flight Lieutenant William Clark DFM is always known as Terry Clark and I was once privileged to be invited into his home near York to meet him and talk about his time flying Blenheims with 219 Squadron at Catterick .
He is a frequent visitor to RAF Linton On Ouse and turned 99 years young last April , an amazing man . Indeed , they all are . A few photos here ; https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/16152756.war-hero-terry-one-of-the-last-of-the-few-celebrates-99-years/ .

Tankertrashnav
15th Dec 2018, 10:19
Interesting David Thompson. I once owned the medals of a Sergeant P.R.Prosser, who had been a Blenheim Air Gunner during the Battle. As well as the "Battle of Britain" clasp on his 1939 -45 Star he had the "Atlantic" clasp on his Aircrew Europe Star as his squadron (I forget which) had been part of Coastal Command, I obtained the F700s for the period and discovered that on one sortie they were credited with shooting down an Me 109 - no mean feat for a Blenheim I would have thought.

WingsofRoffa
17th Dec 2018, 12:12
Per Ardua. RIP