PDA

View Full Version : Flying Boots...

Whiz Wheel
10th Dec 2018, 11:00
Sorry if this has been asked already, happy for a redirect.
Has anyone tried the new (old) version Haynes & Cann boots from France? I will gladly pay £120 if they are the same as my current worn out old pattern flying boot. I just can’t tolerate the new stuff.

NutLoose
10th Dec 2018, 11:35
£129 brand new, £110 on lower link with zip one size.

https://transair.co.uk/pilots-clothing/pilots-flying-boots/haynes-cann-pilot-boots-65-black-leather

http://www.nationalpensionrescue.co.uk/haynes-amp-cann-type-65z-zippered-flight-boot-b00zgr2j74-p-4595.html

fantom
10th Dec 2018, 11:57
Mine date from 1972. Imperial War Museum?

Rosevidney1
10th Dec 2018, 22:42
I still have my mint condition boots from the 70s. Did anyone use the issued tin of preservative? It might have been called Radium brand. It used to turn the leather dull grey. Kiwi and Cherry Blossom did the job.

ShyTorque
10th Dec 2018, 22:56
Nutty, the second link is for jet pilots' boots. They have zips because these days RAF gets them so young they still don't know how to do up their own laces..... ;)

NutLoose
10th Dec 2018, 23:14
:D

Sounds about right ;)
It reminds me of the aircraft tugs with the tortoise rabbit logos on the speedo that harked back to the times when farmers were illiterate and couldn't read the numbers.

meleagertoo
11th Dec 2018, 13:10
I'd love to know what constitutes an "anti FOD pattern sole".
A mere anti FOD sole might well be one that doesn't fall off, but how can the pattern combat FOD? Does it have a sticky layer to collect loose bits and bobs? A vacuum attachment?
Interesting too to note that these are for use on aircraft platforms. Do the maintenance crews have to take them off if they step on the tarmac or enter the aircraft itself? It all sounds very inconvenient.

Ah! The twaddle people write in product descriptions.

ShyTorque
11th Dec 2018, 13:18
The "anti-FOD" description applies to the design of the sole tread pattern, as you say. It doesn't have narrow gaps in the tread that could bring small objects such as pebbles or other debris into the cockpit.

Trouble is, after a relatively short time the sole becomes worn smooth and has very little remaining grip.

Background Noise
11th Dec 2018, 13:49
Like anti-icing vs de-icing. Great for preventing FOD, useless for E&E as far as I remember!

Still have a pair of the summer slippers somewhere:

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/600x680/6d1568cd_6729_4845_8faf_8dabd3798920_77ab844e9d07f0d2dcdf2e8 78547a0fc15701886.jpg

5aday
11th Dec 2018, 14:16
Whiz wheel

PM please
5aday

Blue Bottle
11th Dec 2018, 17:07
Is size 11 ok ?

H Peacock
11th Dec 2018, 19:00
So why did the MOD decide to stop procuring the Mk1 boots from Haynes & Cann? I know the sizing was more complex than the pattern 65, but the latest issue flying boots are dreadfully clumpy. Does anyone actually think they're an improvement over their predecessors? How does one finely apply a squeeze of pedal with such clumpy footwear!!

Pontius Navigator
11th Dec 2018, 19:02
I still have my mint condition boots from the 70s. Did anyone use the issued tin of preservative? It might have been called Radium brand. It used to turn the leather dull grey. Kiwi and Cherry Blossom did the job.
I did, silicon or some such. It was never provided for individual use, we were expected to use the one provided in Flying Clothing. I managed to acquire one. Can't remember how old the boots were when i used them on the Moors but they were waterproof.

sycamore
11th Dec 2018, 19:07
Shy,then you need the `Pirelli`ones,-soft,supersoft, ultra or hypersoft,or just go for `wets`...

Ken Scott
11th Dec 2018, 20:12
How does one finely apply a squeeze of pedal with such clumpy footwear!!

I think you’ll find with the more modern types a ‘squeeze of pedal’ is no longer needed - with FBW the aircraft sorts that stuff for you! They’re strictly foot rests.

drustsonoferp
11th Dec 2018, 21:53
So why did the MOD decide to stop procuring the Mk1 boots from Haynes & Cann? I know the sizing was more complex than the pattern 65, but the latest issue flying boots are dreadfully clumpy. Does anyone actually think they're an improvement over their predecessors? How does one finely apply a squeeze of pedal with such clumpy footwear!!
The MOD stopped buying the Haynes and Cann boot because they could procure a cheaper one in the form of the Swift boot. It is much clumpier, not available in such an accommodating range of sizes, and has more difficulty fitting in small cockpit footwells. Haynes and Cann went bust after losing the MOD contract, the design was bought by someone in France who had no idea who to run a quality system, nor adhere to design standards/configuration control: boots changed spec without notice which would have made formal release for aircraft use interesting. This is why there are moves towards an Alt Berg aircrew boot, which is smaller in volume and available in a wider range of sizes, and can still do the usual Alt Berg bespoke fitting if you go to the factory.

ShyTorque
11th Dec 2018, 22:03
I think you’ll find with the more modern types a ‘squeeze of pedal’ is no longer needed - with FBW the aircraft sorts that stuff for you! They’re strictly foot rests.

Not if you fly helicopters - both types of boots were standard issue for rotary crews, too.

NutLoose
12th Dec 2018, 00:57
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/hayes_cann_closing_end_october_l

Sloppy Link
12th Dec 2018, 07:14
The MOD stopped buying the Haynes and Cann boot because they could procure a cheaper one in the form of the Swift boot. It is much clumpier, not available in such an accommodating range of sizes, and has more difficulty fitting in small cockpit footwells. Haynes and Cann went bust after losing the MOD contract, the design was bought by someone in France who had no idea who to run a quality system, nor adhere to design standards/configuration control: boots changed spec without notice which would have made formal release for aircraft use interesting. This is why there are moves towards an Alt Berg aircrew boot, which is smaller in volume and available in a wider range of sizes, and can still do the usual Alt Berg bespoke fitting if you go to the factory.
We use the Alt-Berg, it appears popular.

oldmansquipper
12th Dec 2018, 13:52
I think MBA bought up H&K redundant stock after the MoD played silly bu**ers with the company. (Allegedly)

KenV
12th Dec 2018, 14:15
Flying boots??!! I had no idea that in the UK you could buy boots that fly. Can muricans buy those?

Rosevidney1
12th Dec 2018, 19:39
Unfortunately not, Ken V - but you can bid on the Tower Bridge (London) sale for which I am the authorised dealer!!!

drustsonoferp
12th Dec 2018, 23:27
We use the Alt-Berg, it appears popular.
Not many platform clearances yet, and Commodities won't even purchase them until next year, leaving the current LPOs for those who can't afford to wait. Cluster.

Whiz Wheel
16th Dec 2018, 22:25
Is size 11 ok ?

That’s my size!