PDA

View Full Version : Question ?

Dotun
31st Jul 2001, 19:58
I know I asked something similar a while ago, but am still a little bit confused, as am getting different answers. The question again is, If two PPL holders fly a PA-28 or C172 for example, can one fill in P1 and the other P2. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Delta Wun-Wun
31st Jul 2001, 22:47
Don`t think so as it is not certified a two pilot aeroplane.So you book the flight on the way out,and your mate on the way back. :(

Icarus Wings
1st Aug 2001, 17:20
NO NO NO!!!

Jimmy Mack
1st Aug 2001, 19:02
Yes you can both log it...but it won't be legal!

Captain-Ireland
1st Aug 2001, 19:16
Ok take this situation. You and your friend Bob take a trip from Belfast to Liverpool and it takes you exactly one hour.

If each of you has the same operators capacity i.e. you are both PPL'ers then what happends is. You first descide who will be P1 and who will be P2

Say in this situation you are P1 your log book would look like this.

Date: 1/8/01
Aircraft: Cessna 172
Reg: G-ABCD
Captain: Self
To: EGGP (Liverpool)
Departure: 10.00
Arrival: 11.00

Your flying time will be entered "In Command" and it will be the amout of time that you acted as pilot in command of that aircraft. So lets say you let bob fly for 10 minutes over the isle of man. then your entry would be 50 mintues "In command" and Bob's would be 10 minutes "Dual or P2" which totals 60 minutes. In Bob's log book he enters YOU as captain as you are P1.

In other words NO you cant enter the same time in a singe crew aircraft for two people.

I got all this from decoding the cryptic "Instruction of Use" in my log book. I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong!

Happy Flying!

Token Bird
1st Aug 2001, 19:34
Captain Ireland,

Why wouldn't Bob be able to enter it a P1? Does there have to be a designated PIC for an entire leg?

TB

Negative Charlie
1st Aug 2001, 19:38
So in this scenario there's a period of ten minutes when there would be nobody in command? Scary!

[ 01 August 2001: Message edited by: Negative Charlie ]

Captain-Ireland
2nd Aug 2001, 17:43
Ok Ok i admit my theory doesnt sound so great any more. Here is what the book says

"Flying time as "Second Pilot" is entered under "P.2" and will in all cases be the precise period as determined bt the Pilot-in-Command of the aircraft during which the holder acted in the course of the flight in the capacity shown."

This should answer your question Token Bird.

"When an aircraft carries two or more pilots as members of the operating crew one of them shall, before the flight commences, be designated as Pilot-in-Command, and his name shall be entered in the column headed "Captain" with the notation "P.1" entered under the "Holders Operating Capacity"

It goes on to say:

"Whenever two members acting in the same capacity share a particular operating duty, i.e. each performing the duty for particular periods only and nether acting under the supervision of the other, the departure and arrival times shall be entered in the normal manner, but the precise time during which the holder acted in the capacity indicated must be shown and a note inserted in the "Remarks" column to indicated that the duties were shared.

Geessh thats a long sentance..

Hope this helps