PDA

View Full Version : Incident at Mount Gambier

Cloudee
8th Dec 2018, 23:55
Emergency services called to Mt Gambier airport yesterday early afternoon. B200 ODI sitting on the tarmac with both props bent, no underside damage. One engine covered in oil.

MFS: *CFSRES INC0045 08/12/18 14:15 RESPOND VEHICLE FUEL LEAK, ALARM LEVEL: 1, : @MOUNT GAMBIER AIRPORT 81 AIRPORT RD WANDILO,MAP:SE 11 8023,TG 226, == LIGHT PLANE CRASH ON TARMAC, ALL PERSONS EVAC, LEAKING FUEL :WNDL34 :more info (https://www.cfsscan.com/livefeed/2489863)

Alice Kiwican
9th Dec 2018, 03:48
Sounds interesting..........

RatsoreA
9th Dec 2018, 03:57
I saw VH-ODI for sale recently somewhere for a mere $500k. I guess that the sale price will have to be marked down somewhat now...

Xatrix
9th Dec 2018, 04:21
Flight Radar track is just as interesting...

Desert Flower
9th Dec 2018, 04:41
Bad weather, strong crosswind - totally stuffed up!

DF.

On eyre
9th Dec 2018, 04:58
Tell us more DF - can’t just be that ��

Desert Flower
9th Dec 2018, 05:25
Tell us more DF - can’t just be that ��

Ring our mate BH - he's the one that told me!

DF.

Desert Flower
9th Dec 2018, 05:29
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1392x1044/vh_odi_1_2545d7ef6b5895757accf3e9c03c619cb71bf89e.jpg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1359x862/vh_odi_2_147a0d05afd191955147f99fbafd22b9fc8795c1.jpg

On eyre
9th Dec 2018, 05:32
Thanks DF - I have and he filled me in. Nothing is secret in GA for too long in this state ��

Desert Flower
9th Dec 2018, 05:41
Thanks DF - I have and he filled me in. Nothing is secret in GA for too long in this state ��

Haha no it sure isn't!

DF.

Cloudee
9th Dec 2018, 06:09
Bad weather, strong crosswind - totally stuffed up!

DF.
FR24 showing an approach and very low go around on 18, followed by a low circuit to land. Wouldn’t have liked to be on board if the props were bent like that in the final circuit. Were there any passengers?

Bend alot
9th Dec 2018, 06:19
They are the most bent props I have seen - No flap?

Cloudee
9th Dec 2018, 06:32
They are the most bent props I have seen - No flap?
Wheels up on the first approach?

compressor stall
9th Dec 2018, 06:37
Can you bend a king air prop with the wheels down? Does the wingtip hit first?

The Banjo
9th Dec 2018, 07:03
I think the prop modification is called "Q" tips but that's not how you are supposed to get them...

Desert Flower
9th Dec 2018, 07:06
FR24 showing an approach and very low go around on 18, followed by a low circuit to land. Wouldn’t have liked to be on board if the props were bent like that in the final circuit. Were there any passengers?

Not sure if there were any pax.

DF.

Desert Flower
9th Dec 2018, 07:12
The FlightAware track is interesting...VH-ODI have a look. Tracks straight in for 18 but doesn’t get below 2000’, not visual I guess, climbs back to 5000’, does the instrument approach down to what Flight Aware shows as 50’, goes around and makes a very tight circuit back onto 18....

DF.

Desert Flower
9th Dec 2018, 07:13
I think the prop modification is called "Q" tips but that's not how you are supposed to get them...

"Q" being for Quiet - bet it was anything but!

DF.

Bend alot
9th Dec 2018, 07:19
Hardy had a less extent - Q Tip mod in Darwin years ago on a Titan, but had a bit of gravel rash on flaps(one more than other from memory) as well.

Cloudee
9th Dec 2018, 07:37
https://www.atsb.gov.au/media/5772037/ao-2016-072-final.pdf
A Navajo touched its prop tips on the Birdsville runway causing similar damage when it tried to land wheels up and then did a circuit to land with the wheels in the correct position, 4/7/16.

Desert Flower
9th Dec 2018, 08:01
https://www.atsb.gov.au/media/5772037/ao-2016-072-final.pdf
A Navajo touched its prop tips on the Birdsville runway causing similar damage when it tried to land wheels up and then did a circuit to land with the wheels in the correct position, 4/7/16.

I seem to remember a Chieftain with bent props at YMRE a few years back too. Also think there might have been a larger aircraft that suffered similar damage.

DF.

Bend alot
9th Dec 2018, 08:08
A CAsA Bonanza at Serpentine - but elected to fly back to Jandakot.

1/2 bank
9th Dec 2018, 08:30
speci ymtg 080100z auto 17011kt 9999 // ovc004 16/15 q1018
speci ymtg 080130z auto 18011kt 9999 // ovc003 16/15 q1018
speci ymtg 080200z auto 18012kt 9999 // ovc004 16/15 q1018

Bend alot
9th Dec 2018, 08:42
speci ymtg 080100z auto 17011kt 9999 // ovc004 16/15 q1018
speci ymtg 080130z auto 18011kt 9999 // ovc003 16/15 q1018
speci ymtg 080200z auto 18012kt 9999 // ovc004 16/15 q1018

Photo looks much better. One hell of a go around. Looks like the L/H eng might have a little bent shaft and let oil out.

A good recovery from a strong x wind.

Xatrix
9th Dec 2018, 08:52
Strong crosswind?? 10kts straight down the runway

Bend alot
9th Dec 2018, 09:05
Strong crosswind?? 10kts straight down the runway

"Bad weather, strong crosswind - totally stuffed up!"

Quote as above.

On eyre
9th Dec 2018, 09:13
Bend alot- maybe DF got it wrong with that quote.

compressor stall
9th Dec 2018, 09:14
Hmmm,

Maybe Bendalot, but look at a photo of a king air front on. Tell me with wheels down, what AoB would be have to be to touch the prop on one side - and not damage the wingtip - AND also then repeat on the other? Geometrically I don't think it is even possible (although I am not sure what diameter prop this has). My money is on a wheels up after a poor weather approach to minima realised at the last second and went around and the props hit. Only just touched though as the antenna is still ok.

Either way, poor bugger. Hope s/he's doing OK tonight. Do you still get a gig with QF these days once you've done a wheels up?

nomorecatering
9th Dec 2018, 09:17
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgdSflSCTQM
Did something like this happen?

Desert Flower
9th Dec 2018, 09:18
Bend alot- maybe DF got it wrong with that quote.

That was what our source told me - blame him!

DF.

AmarokGTI
9th Dec 2018, 09:19
Ok look. I admit that my flying skills are not always perfect, but I would have to suggest that if you’re doing that much damage with the wind light and literally straight down the runway you shouldn’t be in the skies. Not to mention the lack of professionalism landing below minima. (Could argue that once the damage was done it was essential to bust the minima to land ASAP, but hard to argue that beforehand). As a MTG regular I know that it can hang around for a fair while. As a former B200 driver (very well behaved aircraft) I find this quite bizarre.

Desert Flower
9th Dec 2018, 09:21
Either way, poor bugger. Hope s/he's doing OK tonight. Do you still get a gig with QF these days once you've done a wheels up?

He's way past the age to get into QF!

DF.

Bend alot
9th Dec 2018, 09:23
Hmmm,

Maybe Bendalot, but look at a photo of a king air front on. Tell me with wheels out, what AoB would be have to be to touch the prop on one side - and not damage the wingtip - AND also then repeat on the other? Geometrically is it even possible (although I am not sure what diameter prop this has).

That mate is a prop strike.

Wing tip strike?? that is why my first comment was about flaps.

The stub wing (till nacelles) on a king air is pretty flat - then the wing gets higher from the ground as it goes out/bd - so the lowest point of wing is in/db flaps if extended - then the engine nacelles - wing tips a few feet higher than that.

https://www.ctsys.com/blog/entry/cts-announces-king-air-b200.html

On eyre
9th Dec 2018, 09:28
****ty weather, concentrating on the approach, below minima, forgot the wheels, prop strike, go-around with Qtips now installed, low level return to RWY 18, wheels down this time, oh **** sadly !!

compressor stall
9th Dec 2018, 09:28
Yes, a prop strike with a wheels up landing and go around as the props touched. I was editing as you were replying Bendalot.

Cloudee
9th Dec 2018, 09:45
****ty weather, concentrating on the approach, below minima, forgot the wheels, prop strike, go-around with Qtips now installed, low level return to RWY 18, wheels down this time, oh **** !!

I think PPRuNe has solved another one! Wonder how long it will take and how much it will cost for the ATSB to come to the same conclusion?

outnabout
9th Dec 2018, 10:41
Will this be the end of a career?

Mach E Avelli
9th Dec 2018, 10:58
.......more like the end of the company!

Desert Flower
9th Dec 2018, 12:07
Same pilot forgot to put the wheels down on a DC3 at YPOD many years ago....

DF.

Outtahere
9th Dec 2018, 18:48
Two pilots on board, one under training/ supervision at the time.

Desert Flower
9th Dec 2018, 20:14
Two pilots on board, one under training/ supervision at the time.

If you're referring to the YPOD incident yes - but was it right for the PIC to blame him for not dangling the Dunlops?

DF.

Outtahere
10th Dec 2018, 09:35
If you're referring to the YPOD incident yes - but was it right for the PIC to blame him for not dangling the Dunlops?

DF.

I'm told this one as well. Any licensed crew member in a crew seat cops some responsibility, even in a SP aircraft.

Toruk Macto
10th Dec 2018, 09:48
Curious , is it a requirement for something the size of a king air operated by a single pilot to have and use checklists ? Would the checklist be a CASA requirement or a company one ? Do B200 have CVR ?

Mach E Avelli
10th Dec 2018, 10:25
King Airs leave the factory with a comprehensive checklist.
CASA is quite anal about approving checklists for commercial operators.
To hold an AOC the operations manual will state that checklists must be used, but of course is no guarantee that they will be used.
The whole subject of overly prescriptive checklists has been flogged to death in Pprune. The more prescriptive they are, the less effective they seem to be.
No CVR required for B200 in charter, though some may have. One can imagine any recording in this incident would be transcribed in the accident report as ‘expletive deleted’.

outnabout
11th Dec 2018, 00:30
Mach E Avelli - I reckon you might be right there.

The person operating the "beep" button might be earning their money on that recording....

Toruk Macto
11th Dec 2018, 12:08
Too low - Gear ?

Desert Flower
11th Dec 2018, 12:38
I have to wonder if he had pax, & if so why hasn't someone said something. Or was he there to pick up pax - same thing. If neither, why was he there?

DF.

nomorecatering
11th Dec 2018, 13:31
Lack of cockpit discipline will bite you hard. I frequently play this clip to new players.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5McECUtM8fw

On eyre
11th Dec 2018, 13:40
DF - nine POB our mutual source says.

Mach E Avelli
11th Dec 2018, 19:27
Toruk Macto the ‘too low gear’ warning requires kit unlikely to be fitted to an older King Air.
However if full flap is selected and the gear is not down, the warning horn will make quite a racket and a bloody huge red light illuminates in the gear handle. Although it is an old design with a few ‘gotchas’ in the cockpit, as far as the gear system is concerned, Beech did their best to pilot proof it.
But it appears from the lack of visible damage that the flaps were not in the landing position either.

Desert Flower
11th Dec 2018, 19:35
DF - nine POB our mutual source says.

Wow! Seems strange no-one has spoken out about it. Wonder why?

DF.

Cloudee
12th Dec 2018, 08:27
https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2018/aair/ao-2018-080/

SummaryThe ATSB is investigating a hard landing and ground strike involving a Beech Aircraft Corporation B200, registered VH-ODI, operated by Desert-Air Safaris, at Mount Gambier Airport, South Australia, on 8 December 2018.

The pilot reported experiencing difficulties landing at Mount Gambier. After a heavy landing, the pilot was unable to safely stop the aircraft on the runway and decided to conduct a go-around. The pilot then conducted another approach and landing. The post-flight inspection of the aircraft revealed substantial damage to both propellers. No one was injured as a result of this occurrence.

As part of the investigation, the ATSB will interview relevant persons, including the pilot, obtain engineering reports and other additional information.

A report will be published at the conclusion of the investigation.

On eyre
12th Dec 2018, 09:14
There you go DF - excuse me for a moment but I think a flock of pigs just flew by.

Duck Pilot
12th Dec 2018, 09:31
The ATSB report says it was Charter, if there were 9 POB I’m surprised that nothing else has appeared on social media or in the press.

Hell of a good job in either case getting it back on the ground without killing or injuring anyone.

Capt Fathom
12th Dec 2018, 09:35
Which landing was hard? The first one that bent the props, or the second one.... without props?

On eyre
12th Dec 2018, 09:45
Capt Fathom - the first was the hard landing sans wheels down - refer my post #34. I would surmise that no landing in a B200 could be hard enough to compress oleos sufficiently to allow a prop strike without breaking the back of the aircraft and the backs of all on board.

Mach E Avelli
12th Dec 2018, 10:05
On Eyre you are absolutely right. Even with totally flat oleos the props would not touch the ground. The post accident pic indicates oleo extension is about normal.
It surely won’t be hard for the ATSB to work that out.
Aviating pork indeed.

Capt Fathom
12th Dec 2018, 10:10
On eyre, I was aware of that. My humour was too subtle obviously! :rolleyes:

On eyre
12th Dec 2018, 10:16
Capt I apologise I missed that. Must cut back on Shiraz ration ��

Capt Fathom
12th Dec 2018, 10:25
Must cut back on Shiraz ration ��

I wouldn’t go that far! :}

Desert Flower
12th Dec 2018, 11:25
There you go DF - excuse me for a moment but I think a flock of pigs just flew by.

Very possibly!

DF.

Desert Flower
12th Dec 2018, 11:28
The ATSB report says it was Charter, if there were 9 POB I’m surprised that nothing else has appeared on social media or in the press.

Hell of a good job in either case getting it back on the ground without killing or injuring anyone.

If my source is correct, the 9 POB were CFS volunteers - which could explain why they are keeping schtum.

DF.

Fantome
13th Dec 2018, 07:10
It's a long time ago, and I am not sure of the story in any detail . .. . but Keith Virtue was an ANA senior pilot who allegedly allowed a DC4 at EagleFarm/Brisbane to land wheels up, in the full knowledge, as it later transpired, of what was about to happen. The rumour mill said that Keith was so pissed off with various slacknesses with SOPs and checklists he just shut his trap and let it happen.

This how the press reported ti -K. VIRTUE RELIEVED OF FLYING DUTIES

MELBOURNE, December I.1954— Captain Keith Virtue, Australian air-mileage 'millionaire,' has been grounded by Australian National Airway*.

The company has relieved him of flying duties, and isholding a ground post open
for him at Brisbane. Meanwhile, Captain Virtue, whohas been flying for 28 years,
s on holidays. van
ANA.'s managing director,Captain I. Holyman, said today he did not know what
Virtue Intended to do.
Captain Virtue was incharge of an ANA plane,which belly-landed without itswheels down, at EagleFarm airport, Brisbane, onNovember INo one washurt.Captain Virtue's flying banapplies only to ANA. planes.

The Civil Aviation Department has not taken any action on his licence.
Captain Virtue has flownnearly 4,000,000 miles withouta crash, and is reckoned one
of the most seasoned pilotsIn the world. In 38 years ofcommercial and private flying,i
he has logged about 23,000hours — just on three years —n the air.

At 45, he has spent at least2000 more hours in the air
man any other Australian,and three or (our years agohe said he looked forward to
another 10 years' flying.He Is at home in Blmostany type of aircraft, having flown 25 different kinds ofplanes on regular commercial
Virtue admitted Inff
Brisbane to-night he hadmade a mistake. He was reerring to the belly-landing at
Eagle Farm.
'I forgot to put the undercarriage down,' Captain Virue said. 'With First Officer
R. Hughes at the controls. crew was trying a newprocedure in circuits andlanding.'
He said on Monday A.N.A.managing director (CaptainI. Holyman) grounded him.

Captain Holyman told me Imight make the same mistakeagain,' Captain Virtue said.
'But this could not happen In a thousand years.'Captain Holyman had told
him he would not be allowedagain to fly ANA, aircraft.

compressor stall
13th Dec 2018, 07:47
I seem to remember about 20 years ago a similar incident in a Learjet owned by a Jewish guy with a green bentley and operated by a DC3 mob at EN. It was doing circuits at AV with IIRC CASA flying it. Gear wasn't down, and the windscreen picture looked a bit lower than normal. They firewalled it and went around. The only casualty was one antenna on the bottom of the aircraft.

Does anyone else recall similar?

Cloudee
13th Dec 2018, 08:49
I seem to remember about 20 years ago a similar incident in a Learjet owned by a Jewish guy with a green bentley and operated by a DC3 mob at EN. It was doing circuits at AV with IIRC CASA flying it. Gear wasn't down, and the windscreen picture looked a bit lower than normal. They firewalled it and went around. The only casualty was one antenna on the bottom of the aircraft.

https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/1998/aair/aair199802529/
Gates Learjet Corporation 35A, VH-JIG, Avalon Airport, Vic, 24 June 1998

The flight proceeded normally up to the point of the simulated engine failure at V1. When the instructor simulated a right engine failure by placing the thrust lever in the IDLE position, the aircraft drifted to the right. Intervention by the instructor enabled the aircraft to return to balanced flight. The handling pilot continued to carry out the 700-ft circuit in the after-takeoff configuration of gear UP and flap 8. Flap 20 was selected during the base turn. The aircraft was flared normally with both thrust levers in the IDLE position. As the aircraft settled, a slight vibration was noticed, and both pilots became aware that the landing gear was still selected UP. Go-round power was applied and the aircraft climbed away. The landing gear was cycled normally and the aircraft returned for a full stop landing. A subsequent inspection of the aircraft showed that the only evidence of a runway strike was abrasion of the lower fuselage mounted very high frequency (VHF) blade antenna.

Horatio Leafblower
13th Dec 2018, 09:48
Similarly, Chieftain VH-TXK ground off an antenna at Townsville in 2015.

https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2015/aair/ao-2015-008/

On 9 January 2015, a pilot in-command-under-supervision (ICUS), and a supervising pilot, operated a Piper PA-31-350 aircraft, registered VH-TXK, on a charter flight from Palm Island to Townsville, Queensland, with seven passengers on board. At about 1630 Eastern Standard Time (EST), air traffic control (ATC) cleared the aircraft to conduct a visual approach via a left base, to runway 07 at Townsville Airport.When about 4 NM from the runway, the pilot ICUS performed the pre-landing checks, but omitted to extend the landing gear. The supervising pilot confirmed the mixture, fuel pumps and landing lights had been set correctly, and assumed the rest of the checks had been similarly completed. As the pilot ICUS flared the aircraft to land, he anticipated the landing gear touching down on the runway, but as it did not occur when he expected, he commenced a go-around. Neither of the pilots heard an aural gear warning horn sound. As the pilot ICUS commenced the go-around, a VHF antenna fitted to the underside of the aircraft fuselage contacted the runway. The pilot ICUS established the aircraft in a slow cruise configuration, extended flap and selected the landing gear lever to the extended position. The landing gear extended and locked and three green lights indicated a safe extension. The aircraft subsequently landed on runway 07 without further incident.

Reverseflowkeroburna
14th Dec 2018, 02:38

Sure do Stallie, and during subsequent meetings between the involved parties, others were seen sneaking along past the office windows with antennae on their heads so positioned that only said antenna were visible from inside the office. It must have been very hard for some to keep a straight face.

outnabout
14th Dec 2018, 02:47
Second hand information for Mt Gambier says cloud was broken at 400ft. Both RNAVs get you down to 530 (or thereabouts). Maybe that's why the circuit at 300 feet?

This morning, 2 x B200s depart YPAD for Kangaroo Island.

YKSC weather indicates cloud base and viz varying - TAF said BKN010, specis show lower. RNAVs are for 01/19, which is NOTAMed closed to charter aircraft due WIP. Of the 3 runways available, only 15/33 open for use - 06/24 NOTAMed as not available.

FlightAware shows first B200 sliding down the RNAV, to conduct a circling approach at about 500 feet at speeds varying between 100 and 180 knots to land on 15 / 33. (Circling minima published as 840).
Less than 10 minutes behind, FlightAware shows second B200 sliding down the RNAV, missed approach, sliding down the RNAV, missed approach, return to YPAD, halfway back to Adelaide, turn around and come back to YKSC, slide down the RNAV again, missed approach and return to YPAD. Where it appears to remain on the apron.

At the same time, the Right Honourable Leon Bignell is updating his Instagram account about how his charter flight to Kangaroo Island is unable to land due to weather.

Capt Fathom
14th Dec 2018, 03:18
Should that be in Spotters Corner?

Desert Flower
15th Dec 2018, 07:09
This morning, 2 x B200s depart YPAD for Kangaroo Island.

YKSC weather indicates cloud base and viz varying - TAF said BKN010, specis show lower. RNAVs are for 01/19, which is NOTAMed closed to charter aircraft due WIP. Of the 3 runways available, only 15/33 open for use - 06/24 NOTAMed as not available.

FlightAware shows first B200 sliding down the RNAV, to conduct a circling approach at about 500 feet at speeds varying between 100 and 180 knots to land on 15 / 33. (Circling minima published as 840).
Less than 10 minutes behind, FlightAware shows second B200 sliding down the RNAV, missed approach, sliding down the RNAV, missed approach, return to YPAD, halfway back to Adelaide, turn around and come back to YKSC, slide down the RNAV again, missed approach and return to YPAD. Where it appears to remain on the apron.

At the same time, the Right Honourable Leon Bignell is updating his Instagram account about how his charter flight to Kangaroo Island is unable to land due to weather.

Looking at the track log of the second one I wouldn't go so far as to say he/she got halfway back to Adelaide before turning around, & it also shows that it landed at YKSC & not returned to Adelaide as you claim.

DF.

Mumbai Merlin
10th Jun 2019, 03:01
Is the B200 VH-ODI still at Mt. Gambier? has it been repaired or salvaged?

Desert Flower
10th Jun 2019, 09:14
Is the B200 VH-ODI still at Mt. Gambier? has it been repaired or salvaged?

Wrecked and sold interstate.

DF.

scifi
10th Jun 2019, 09:46
Maybe it was an Insurance scam....
Hope the ATSB noticed the prop-strike marks on the tarmac in front of the plane...

Cloudee
10th Jun 2019, 10:00
Maybe it was an Insurance scam....
Hope the ATSB noticed the prop-strike marks on the tarmac in front of the plane...
The plane must have gone backwards after making those marks then I suppose. 😬

Rivetsmasher
25th Oct 2019, 23:43
[QUOTE=Mumbai Merlin;10490228]Is the B200 VH-ODI still at Mt. Gambier? has it been repaired or salvaged?[/QUOT

It's at sunshine coast airport. The new owners are repairing it now

Desert Flower
26th Oct 2019, 11:25
[QUOTE=Mumbai Merlin;10490228]Is the B200 VH-ODI still at Mt. Gambier? has it been repaired or salvaged?[/QUOT

It's at sunshine coast airport. The new owners are repairing it now

Really? As I said in the post above I was told it had been wrecked.

DF.

Rivetsmasher
26th Oct 2019, 12:12
[QUOTE=Desert Flower;10603805][QUOTE=Rivetsmasher;10603528]

Really? As I said in the post above I was told it had been wrecked.

It was purchased cheap and flown to the sunny coast. It will fly again.

Desert Flower
26th Oct 2019, 21:33
[QUOTEIt was purchased cheap and flown to the sunny coast. It will fly again.[/QUOTE]

So did the new owners replace the props & engines before it was flown to the sunny coast? And if they did, why does it need repairing?

DF.

Rivetsmasher
26th Oct 2019, 22:13
Yes they replaced 1 engine and both props. It needs sheetmetal repairs to the fuselage, LH wing and nacelle. When the prop hit the tarmac it sent bits of prop through the fuse and nacelle skins. It punctured the fuse in 5 locations along with heaps of dents. The upper IB wing skin is disbonded from the impact. It will need some tlc but she will fly again.

Desert Flower
27th Oct 2019, 02:48
Yes they replaced 1 engine and both props. It needs sheetmetal repairs to the fuselage, LH wing and nacelle. When the prop hit the tarmac it sent bits of prop through the fuse and nacelle skins. It punctured the fuse in 5 locations along with heaps of dents. The upper IB wing skin is disbonded from the impact. It will need some tlc but she will fly again.

Why only one engine when both of the props were bent? Surely the second one should have been replaced as well? And if the upper IB wing skin was disbonded surely it shouldn't have been flown like that? Something doesn't add up here.

DF.

Rivetsmasher
27th Oct 2019, 05:20
Why only one engine when both of the props were bent? Surely the second one should have been replaced as well? And if the upper IB wing skin was disbonded surely it shouldn't have been flown like that? Something doesn't add up here.

Only 1 engine was US. A damaged prop doesn't necessarily mean a damaged engine. Disbonding on the upper IB wing skin panel is very common on the early Kingair. You can easily get a EO/EA from Beechcraft or any authorised engineering company to keep flying (it's not a wet wing). It's time limited and inspections in that area increase. There also is a temporary repair in the SRIM.

The multiple punctures in the fuse were the issue. It flew to Sunshine coast on special permit with altitude restrictions.

Duck Pilot
27th Oct 2019, 07:11
Wouldn’t have thought there would have been any problems if CASA elected to issue a one off flight authorisation, which sounds like the case.

I’ve got a fair idea who bought it if it’s on the Sunshine Coast being repaired. Good on them.

gerry111
27th Oct 2019, 07:20
I’ve got a fair idea who bought it if it’s on the Sunshine Coast being repaired. Good on them.

Any reason why that should be a secret?

megle2
27th Oct 2019, 07:54
It’s not a secret, just Google the rego VH ODI or check Flightaware

Duck Pilot
27th Oct 2019, 08:08
I only guessed who may have purchased it and I was correct. No secrets with me.

You bet me to the response megel, google machine works works again.

Cloudee
20th May 2020, 08:41
Final report out. It’s just amazing that the aircraft kept flying in that condition. Sometimes luck is on your side.

https://www.atsb.gov.au/media/5777882/ao-2018-080_final.pdf

junior.VH-LFA
20th May 2020, 08:51
The King Air is a tough aeroplane. If this isn’t an advertisement for the Hartzell/PT6 combo, I don’t know what is.

Desert Flower
20th May 2020, 09:07
Final report out. It’s just amazing that the aircraft kept flying in that condition. Sometimes luck is on your side.

https://www.atsb.gov.au/media/5777882/ao-2018-080_final.pdf

Luck was indeed on his side that day, but unfortunately not back in January. RIP Dick.

DF.

kingRB
20th May 2020, 10:43
The King Air is a tough aeroplane. If this isn’t an advertisement for the Hartzell/PT6 combo, I don’t know what is.

indeed, that airframe isn't exactly a spring chicken either

holdingagain
21st May 2020, 11:44
There was a comment somewhere that it was patched up and flown to Sunshine Coast. Probably out there again earning a dollar with a new rego

Desert Flower
21st May 2020, 14:47
There was a comment somewhere that it was patched up and flown to Sunshine Coast. Probably out there again earning a dollar with a new rego

If you go back through the thread you will find it.

DF.

gerry111
22nd May 2020, 06:32
If you go back through the thread you will find it.

DF.
So what's the new registration? ODI is no longer allocated.

Capt Fathom
22nd May 2020, 06:48
Put the Serial Number into the CASA Rego Search and voilà....

Desert Flower
22nd May 2020, 07:18
So what's the new registration? ODI is no longer allocated.

VH-PIY - owned by MACHJET PTY LTD PO Box 600 COOROY QLD 4563 Australia

gerry111
22nd May 2020, 08:40
Thanks CF and DF.