PDA

View Full Version : Paragraphs

nomorecatering
8th Dec 2018, 20:28
Whats with this new trend in journalism

Where every new sentence is it's own paragraph.

So now an article that used to take up a small part of a page, takes up 3 pages.

Gets very frustrating to read.

I was taught as a youngster that paragraphs should be 5-7 sentences long.

They group ideas together.

This sucks.

IBMJunkman
8th Dec 2018, 20:44
More space for adverts.

treadigraph
8th Dec 2018, 20:51
I can only presume it's to do with making everything smart phone/stupid person friendly. The BBC does it yet the Times and Telegraph still manage to compose proper paragraphs; I read the Telegraph on smart phone occasionally and have no problem reading multiple sentence paragraphs.

aerobelly
8th Dec 2018, 20:59
This sucks.

The Economist's writers still do joined-up paragraphs. Makes for a somewhat dense page which may be why they break it up with generally witty illustrations. Not quite LaughOutLoud as that other essential journal Private Eye, which in the serious parts also avoids the modern plague.

If their political views also float your own boat of course.

'a

lomapaseo
8th Dec 2018, 21:22
Ir's to make it look like factoids rather than Fake News Op-ED

Alsacienne
8th Dec 2018, 21:24
What I hate are bullet points at the start of an article which means that the paragraphed content becomes redundant. Nothing further to add ....

Sallyann1234
8th Dec 2018, 21:34

The problem with criticising other people's writing is that it draws attention to your own mistakes.
You have made three just there.

Chuck Glider
8th Dec 2018, 21:39
The obverse being what you sometimes find online, an entire page of uninterrupted text with lines too long to keep track of and no paragraph spacing to help.
Still, closing the page does the trick for me.

LordGrumpy
8th Dec 2018, 22:50
Paragraphs create more space on the page.
Easier to read.
Less to compose and print.
Reduction of visual typographic garbage.
Cheaper reporting.
Minimal constupration of worthy journalism.
Plus it creates a rest break for; the punctuation detectives.

Ascend Charlie
8th Dec 2018, 23:09
It came from
the 60 Minutes style
of speaking
in little bits
so stupid people
can still hear
the really important stuff
the reporters are saying. Tick, tick, tick, tick

WingNut60
8th Dec 2018, 23:20
It came from
the 60 Minutes style
of speaking
in little bits
so stupid people
can still hear
the really important stuff
the reporters are saying. Tick, tick, tick, tick
Sounds like someone with emphysema speaking.
Even the pauses are breathless.

Tankertrashnav
8th Dec 2018, 23:58
Well at least I learned a new word from this thread. I've never come across "constupration" before.

WingNut60
9th Dec 2018, 00:12
Well at least I learned a new word from this thread. I've never come across "constupration" before.

That's because it's the first time that it has been used in print (yes, electronic this time) since 1827.

T28B
9th Dec 2018, 01:36
A daily bowl of oatmeal or Wheatabix takes care of that. :E

Rush2112
9th Dec 2018, 01:42
It's not just journalism: I frequently get emails from people in our London office in that style. Are they picking it up from the papers?

SoundBarrier
9th Dec 2018, 06:49
I see this more and more in work correspondence and is frustrating, especially when emails are sent to customers like this. Unprofessional, hard to read and rubbish.

This is not generational from my observations, more likely laziness.

shoot them.

Imagegear
9th Dec 2018, 07:41
I heard a BBC pundit spouting on about Theresa May and that word that must not be spoken, with regard to her immediate demise at the hands of her own ministers. But when I heard the pundit push three words across in the space of one sentence: "may", "possibly", and "potentially", this reinforced my firm belief that:

(a) Said pundit derives his information from well outside of the Westminster bubble, (b) His education concluded at a back street tertiary institution and (c) He likes hearing the sound of his own voice irrespective of what he is saying.

IG

ian16th
9th Dec 2018, 09:07

I'm pleased that I am not alone.
I had to Giggle it.

BehindBlueEyes
9th Dec 2018, 10:11
When to start a new paragraphYou can use TiPToP to help remind you when to use paragraphs
Ti - stands for Time, so start a new paragraph for a different time period.
P - stands for Place, so start a new paragraph for each new place.
To - stands for Topic, so start a new paragraph for each new topic, idea or subject.
P - stands for Person, so start a new paragraph for each new person or change of speaker in a dialogue.

This is the current way pupils are taught to ‘paragraph’

ORAC
9th Dec 2018, 11:44
Stops the author being prolix.

seafire6b
9th Dec 2018, 14:23

Seeing you've started a thread appertaining to grammar - in your opening sentence, "whats" lacked its required apostrophe and further, the whole sentence needed a question mark.

Also, "it's", with an apostrophe, can only mean "it is" or "it has", nothing else. However, the possessive case, "its", never has an apostrophe. Not many people know that - particularly it seems, amongst PPRuNers! To verify, just type "it's or its" into your search engine.

Gertrude the Wombat
9th Dec 2018, 14:47
Also, "it's", with an apostrophe, can only mean "it is" or "it has", nothing else. However, the possessive case, "its", never has an apostrophe. Not many people know that - particularly it seems, amongst PPRuNers! To verify, just type "it's or its" into your search engine.
Primary school English. So anyone who gets that wrong can't have done primary school English. So English can't be their native language, right? - wrong, it seems, as foreigners seem to be far less likely to get this wrong than people who supposedly have attended a UK primary school.

Union Jack
9th Dec 2018, 15:57
I'm pleased that I am not alone.
I had to Giggle it.

Now try looking up "exhaustipated" - if you're not too tired!

Jack

jimtherev
9th Dec 2018, 22:18
Primary school English. So anyone who gets that wrong can't have done primary school English. So English can't be their native language, right? - wrong, it seems, as foreigners seem to be far less likely to get this wrong than people who supposedly have attended a UK primary school.

Sadly, from my observations, there seem to be many primary schools which don't teach primary school English nowadays. (Discuss)

Gertrude the Wombat
9th Dec 2018, 22:29
Sadly, from my observations, there seem to be many primary schools which don't teach primary school English nowadays. (Discuss)
Actually I think you've got a point there.

I was once involved in an exercise to give a bunch of computer science students some real-world advice about looking for a job once they'd finished their degree. We happened to mention in passing that "of course you had to get that sort of grammar right" otherwise the CV would go straight from the in tray to the bin - recruiters can spot things like that at a glance without actually reading the CV.

These kids started looking worried, then one of them put his hand up: "please sir, nobody has ever taught us that stuff".

gileraguy
10th Dec 2018, 06:05
Possessive apostrophes do my head in. I wish i'd never learned the contraction.

So many possessive apostrophes have been misused and abused in signage that they stand out like a dog's bollocks and I have an almost irresistable urge to correct them.

seafire6b
10th Dec 2018, 09:13
gileraguy yep, but it's worth it. For instance - in written text and at a glance, you instantly know the difference between the dog's bollocks and the dogs' bollocks!

Ascend Charlie
10th Dec 2018, 10:23
Yeah, but its the dogs bollock's that get's me in the head...drive's me crazy...

WingNut60
10th Dec 2018, 11:35
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/420x294/jack_horse_f4fde3fcbca037973125989da573ec89612cfe8a.jpg

Sallyann1234
10th Dec 2018, 11:58

So many possessive apostrophes have been misused and abused in signage that they stand out like a dog's bollocks and I have an almost irresistable urge to correct them.

You mean like this one?
Moped Scroat's and the new tactics by the Met.... Ram Them (https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/615702-moped-scroat-s-new-tactics-met-ram-them.html)

Discorde
10th Dec 2018, 12:15

Why not get rid of apostrophes? They generate more trouble than they're worth. They're undetectable in spoken language so why include them in written language? In cases such as the ambiguity relating to Uncle Jack and his horse the solution is to express the intent unambiguously in words which do not require apostrophes. The Spanish and German languages manage without them.

seafire6b
10th Dec 2018, 13:12
Discorde, by its very nature, written language must be more precise. These two statements (repeated from a DaveReidUK post), have entirely different meanings:

"Not forgetting the famous American example, regarding the difference between

a business that knows its shit, and

a business that knows it's shit"

:O

radeng
10th Dec 2018, 13:18
I had a manager - quite a telented engineer of about my age - whose written English was so appalling because of the mis-use of grammar that all of us in the group would have to ask him what information he really meant to convey.

Ancient Observer
10th Dec 2018, 13:28
My elder daughter when she was younger wrote some great little stories, full of imagination and colour. But without paragraphs.
It took ages to get her to use paragraphs.

Discorde
10th Dec 2018, 14:27
Discorde, by its very nature, written language must be more precise. These two statements (repeated from a DaveReidUK post), have entirely different meanings:

"Not forgetting the famous American example, regarding the difference between

a business that knows its shit, and

a business that knows it's shit"

:O

If the sentence you quote was spoken to you you'd deduce the meaning from the context. If you're expressing an opinion in writing, then choose an alternative form of words so the meaning is clear and unambiguous.

The purpose of language is communication.

seafire6b
10th Dec 2018, 17:56
If the sentence you quote was spoken to you you'd deduce the meaning from the context. If you're expressing an opinion in writing, then choose an alternative form of words so the meaning is clear and unambiguous.
The purpose of language is communication.

However to "choose an alternative form of words so the meaning is clear and unambiguous" could often and unnecessarily lengthen written communications. If I may say, even within that sentence, your use of the words "clear and unambiguous" is an example of tautology, and unnecessarily lengthening the message.

When writing, I simply the follow the rule of imagining myself in the recipient's place. It's by no means limited to "expressing an opinion". It might equally be a report, an instruction, directions or a description - or even a just quick handwritten note. That maxim applies particularly when corresponding with people I don't know personally; it's then obviously important to use clear, concise and grammatically correct English. For instance, "the lady's handbags" or "the ladies' handbags" - prove that use of the simple apostrophe instantly informs specific detail - avoiding ambiguity, essential in written language. All that, yet without additional text or even "an alternative form of words", which would merely clarify what a missing apostrophe would have signified!

That's effective communication.

ex82watcher
10th Dec 2018, 21:25
Slight thread-drift,but I'll post here anyway,as we seem to now be talking about unambiguous communication.

I used to travel frequently to the Midlands.and used to return via M40 and A34.On the slip-road from the motorway,there was for years (perhaps still is),a sign which read: FOR A34 NEWBURY USE BOTH LANES.
Am I alone in thinking that the only way to comply with this instruction,would be to straddle the white lines in the centre of the road ? I really wanted to,but never did.
The substitution of the word 'BOTH' with 'EITHER',for the sake of only 2 additional letters would have spared me much anxiety.

Mr Optimistic
10th Dec 2018, 21:42
That's not a new trend, been that way for years. Reflects their audience.

DaveReidUK
10th Dec 2018, 22:59
I used to travel frequently to the Midlands.and used to return via M40 and A34.On the slip-road from the motorway,there was for years (perhaps still is),a sign which read: FOR A34 NEWBURY USE BOTH LANES.
Am I alone in thinking that the only way to comply with this instruction, would be to straddle the white lines in the centre of the road ? I really wanted to,but never did.

It's only a problem if you think the sign is aimed at you specifically, as an individual. If, as seems more likely, it's a collective instruction to everyone, then provided there is at least some traffic in each lane you are all complying. :O

for the sake of only 2 additional letters would have spared me much anxiety

Try not to fret about it.

WingNut60
10th Dec 2018, 23:09
There are those (my brother, for example) who sometimes seem incapable of speaking unambiguously, let alone writing unambiguously.
Even when prompted repeatedly they (he) can find multiple responses to express an answer to a simple question such that the it's never fully answered.
Absolutely infuriating. Yet, I don't think that he's doing it intentionally.

It may have something to do with previous exposure to politics and unionism.

strake
11th Dec 2018, 07:45
Sadly, from my observations, there seem to be many primary schools which don't teach primary school English nowadays.

My children were raised in France. Their English lessons were taught by an American. His grammar was OK but his spelling was dreadful. :)

The other day, I noticed my keyboard options on an app were, 'English (American)' or 'English (International)'. When discussing this with French friends, it was interesting to note the slow dawning that 'England' and 'English' were, somehow, connected....

Sallyann1234
11th Dec 2018, 10:16
My children were raised in France. Their English lessons were taught by an American. His grammar was OK but his spelling was dreadful. :)

The other day, I noticed my keyboard options on an app were, 'English (American)' or 'English (International)'. When discussing this with French friends, it was interesting to note the slow dawning that 'England' and 'English' were, somehow, connected....

Most of the software I use has just one option in the list of languages - English (US)

funfly
11th Dec 2018, 15:13
There was a young man from Japan,
Whose verses would rhyme but not scan,
When asked why he did it,
he paused for a minute,
Then said "I like to get as many words in the last line as I possibly Can".

teeteringhead
12th Dec 2018, 10:53
But road signs can be erudite. I am always impressed when visiting Liverpool to see signs to their "Football Stadia".

And here's one:

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/275x183/images_2_d25b4d760706570854545775568893673a5ed517.jpeg

Pontius Navigator
12th Dec 2018, 16:43
Seeing you've started a thread appertaining to grammar - in your opening sentence, "whats" lacked its required apostrophe and further, the whole sentence needed a question mark.

SallyAnn was more subtle.

Pontius Navigator
12th Dec 2018, 17:00
When writing, I simply the follow the rule of imagining myself in the recipient's place

Not proof reading proves the point.

Sallyann1234
12th Dec 2018, 17:06
SallyAnn was more subtle.

Too subtle, I fear.
Post #7 seems to have been missed by those who followed, (and not all of the subsequent 'corrections' were correct).

seafire6b
12th Dec 2018, 21:33
When writing, I simply the follow the rule of imagining myself in the recipient's place

Not proof reading proves the point.

Whoops! Even if I untruthfully claimed a stutter, I'm aware that wouldn't help! I must've read through half a dozen times, yet somehow still managed to "read it OUT".

Meanwhile, anything else arising from the subtle critiques? Apostrophe okay? That caused some thought, between "the recipient's place" or "the recipients' place(s?)". I reflected that I only ever write to one person at a time! Unless you include an online forum? But then that's singular ...

Will try harder!
:)

CloudHound
13th Dec 2018, 18:11
Don't forget that commas can kill!

If you don't believe me try this telegraph message to Yuma Prison.

"Hang not, reprieved"
vs
"Hang, not reprieved"

Damn that rapid Morse Code.

NRU74
13th Dec 2018, 19:01
Don't forget that commas can kill!
Damn that rapid Morse Code.

‘dah dah di di dah dah’ killed nobody !

Pontius Navigator
18th Jan 2019, 12:46
Saw a wonderful example for apostrophe use today. On the Amazon page was a hash tag

#amazonshitcars

I think the eye is drawn to the H and automatically picks up the surrounding letters so reading:

Amazon shit cars - as the graphic featured Jeremy Clarkson it was wholly believable. Perhaps is was as well that the detail was correctly produced below Amazon's Hit Cars. 😀

​​