PDA

View Full Version : Social Media Rejection

spittingimage
8th Dec 2018, 15:41
Just read that about one person in eight has an Instagram account. Blimey : that’s about 800 MILLION accounts worldwide, unless I am much mistaken ! I don’t have one. I don’t have a Facebook account, or a Twitter account or ANY social media account at all. I don’t have a Smartfone. I don’t use LinkdIn or anything like that (I am retired anyway).

I do have a mobile phone but it must be 6 years old now .. and if I had not accidentally lost my previous one I would probably have had to say that my mobile phone was more than 10 years old now !

It gets better .. I have NEVER taken a ‘selfie’ photo either. Just cannot see the point. Even when I go away on holiday, photos taken of anything are very few, if any.

OTOH, I will admit to being fairly addicted to the internet; it is a fantastic resource of information (often useless .. but interesting). And, yes, I use email avidly, mostly to distant family members.

Oddly, perhaps, my background is in IT ! Has it made me unduly wary ? But I left that about 20 years ago for aviation. Perhaps that was my real calling ? Too bloody late now .. !

Am I so unusual or is there a large (silent) majority of folks out there that are more like me ? Is it a youth thing perhaps (I am 73) ?

SI

rogerg
8th Dec 2018, 15:46
Just about the same for me, I am 77.

bafanguy
8th Dec 2018, 15:53
Just read that about one person in eight has an Instagram account. Blimey : that’s about 800 MILLION accounts worldwide, unless I am much mistaken ! I don’t have one. I don’t have a Facebook account, or a Twitter account or ANY social media account at all. I don’t have a Smartfone. I don’t use LinkdIn or anything like that (I am retired anyway).

OTOH, I will admit to being fairly addicted to the internet; it is a fantastic resource of information (often useless .. but interesting). And, yes, I use email avidly, mostly to distant family members.

Am I so unusual or is there a large (silent) majority of folks out there that are more like me ?

SI,

Well, there are now at least two of us fitting your description. We may be a rather small club.

I have absolutely no use for a social media account. I stay in touch quite easily with those who matter without one.

My son recently shamed me into getting a smart phone and abandoning my 10 y/o flip phone. I have to admit I enjoy the texting feature, Google maps and the weather radar app. I guess the camera is nice but...meh...

Beyond that, it's just a phone that won't fit in my pocket comfortably.

gemma10
8th Dec 2018, 15:55
Ditto for me but I do have a smart phone. Love my iphone7

sitigeltfel
8th Dec 2018, 15:58
I have a Facebook account, but only for business, no personal stuff on it.

OTOH, I use three mobile phone accounts. One is for personal stuff, the other two are dedicated to business projects. Every time I start a new project I get a new SIM for it, and once the job is done and dusted, I cancel the account. If you live in France, Prixtel do great SIM only deals.

P.S. I am not a drug dealer :ok:

UniFoxOs
8th Dec 2018, 16:04
ANY social media account at all

A lot of people call a forum like this "Social Media", in which case we all have one account, at least.

ehwatezedoing
8th Dec 2018, 16:11
You old git remind me of my great grandparents.
Sticking to Radio and not buying the already color TV at the time :p
Or the “microwave!?” Why would I ever need that.

VP959
8th Dec 2018, 16:24
I'm of pretty much the same view as the OP. My mobile 'phone is an old Nokia that only gets turned on about once a month or so, and has only ever been used to make 'phone calls. I never send texts or use the camera on it.

I don't do any form of social media other than a couple of internet forums like this one. I just cannot see any merit in making my private life public, for millions of people to see. By the same token I don't like the privacy intrusions by lots of gadgets, either.

I do find the internet a fantastic resource, though, for a whole host of reasons.

G-CPTN
8th Dec 2018, 16:26
My son studied IT at university and I had bought him a computer to support his studies.
When he graduated he returned the computer to me - what in the world was I going to do with it?
Anyway, he fixed me up with a Hotmail account and in due course I discovered PPRuNe.
Some time later my family bought me a mobile 'phone - purely to stay in touch - with a PAYG sim - my expenditure is significantly less than £10 per year, mainly texts.
My current 'phone is still PAYG and is a simple cellphone - not a smartphone - I have no access to 'data'.
I admit that I would quite like the ability to access the internet when out of the house, but I cannot justify the expense for the little benefit that would ensue.
I decided many years ago that Facebook wasn't for me (on security grounds) and I have stuck by that decision.
I admit that my use of PPRuNe (and a couple of other similar 'bulletin board' sites) equates to social media (rater than necessity for communication).
When accessing online news sites I refrain from any links about soaps or other 'reality' television shows (I do not have a television - though I enjoy watching Formula One on my computer).
I have just discovered that I can access 'live' windspeed information from the nearby military barracks weather station (it was formerly an RAF station, currently Royal Artillery - though the regiments have changed over the years).

Pontius Navigator
8th Dec 2018, 17:41
I used to use twitter regularly, it was called ASMA in those days, I have a LinkedIn account I also use regularly, every year or so, and Face book rather more often when ever D2 sends an email link.

I occasionally exchange a message with the former editor of the FT, the pink one not the Formby Times where he started work.

OTOH a couple of ex-work colleagues live their lives through FB, not a thought is missed.

Fortyodd2
8th Dec 2018, 17:59
No Faecesbroke, Twitty, LinkedIn, Snapchat, Instagram or any other soshul meeja and I’m not yet 60 :)
Former colleague once told me that before I post or allow anything about me to go on the interweb I should first imagine it on a 60ft billboard outside my house. If I wasn’t totally happy about it there then it shouldn’t go online. Sound advice as it turned out.

IBMJunkman
8th Dec 2018, 19:49
And if you block those naughty pictures your users leave big time. :)

https://www.businessinsider.in/Tumblr-users-are-leaving-in-droves-as-it-bans-NSFW-images-Heres-where-theyre-going-instead/articleshow/67002132.cms

flash8
8th Dec 2018, 20:02
The big issue for me, and many people I know is that Facebook is often the best way to keep in touch with family and friends who are great (Continent) distances away. Everybody can keep tabs on each other and know things are well. So it is useful. Also through friends of friends I have reconnected with other friends from the past.

However if I lived in the same area as family and friends it boggles my mind why I would need social media and would not hesitate to delete any account.

One thing I don't carry is a smartphone (have a simple GSM only device without even GPRS) and only check FB a few times a week on my laptop to make sure all is OK with everyone...

KelvinD
8th Dec 2018, 20:17
I have to admit to having a Facebook and Twitter account. I am not sure how or why I came to have a Twitter account (must bin it!). I never log on to Facebook but may daughter and grand kids are 200 miles away in Liverpool and they all use it, I get emails from Facebook, telling me this one dis this or the other one was at somewhere. Those notifications are enough for me to decide if I should phone to see who is in hospital etc but not enough to persuade me to log on to Facebook and tell the world all about my latest and greatest bowel movement (or whatever).
As for phones, having spent my working life in telecomms, I used to regularly get all superior with my brother and his fancy dan smartphone, claiming mine was better as I could make telephone calls on it and speak to people. Now I have a Samsung and when I go out to photograph aeroplanes or even ships, it is invaluable to see what is coming. Once I see what aircraft is coming, I have another app which tells me whether or not I have seen it previously so I needn't bother taking more photos of it. Talk about useful. I would marry it if I could!

airwave45
9th Dec 2018, 01:28
It is pretty much an age thing.
As a member of a gliding club where the average age is _old_ most members have complete disdain for "Social Media"
Most elderly members have their phone ring (usually a few times before they realise it's their phone that is ringing), then they fumble around to see if they can find it, then they peer at the screen to see who is calling, then they go to answer it by which time whoever was calling has given up and rung off.
At a "certain" age, you think of social media as things to "have" and "Smart" phones as a thing.
Those several generations younger don't.
They have a 'phone which does everything they want it to do, they probably make less voice calls than you do.
communication is done differently now, you ping someone a message, they reply when they have time, you reply when you have time. Both parties can see what the other is currently engaged in but neither expect instant attention (the way you demand with a voice call)
the wee awkward thing in the pocket is not a "phone" as you know it, it's a gateway to all the information the yoof need as and when they want it.
My Phone lets my wife track me when I'm travelling, gives me navigation (which has changed from your day, it's not about getting you there, it's about routing you past traffic, warning you of police, giving you real time shortcuts)
Communication now is about pictures, video, sights and sounds.
By all means revel in not having these things, but you are missing out.
You don't need any of it.
In much the same way you don't need a colour TV.
I had a flight this year where I took off before dawn, people tracked me via my phone / flarm / fr24, some pinged me via Facebook mid flight (easy, if I'm not busy I can ping them back, if I'm busy I ignore it) some were watching on a big screen display in another country and sent pictures (via messenger) of them watching the flight in real time. One called me on a video call when I was particularly quiet and on a fast run in wave, I could talk to him and show him what the wave looked like up ahead while he was in his office in deepest darkest Englandshire, none of it essential. All of it adds.
Like colour adds to TV, volume and depth adds to radio.
ymmv.
But, if lots of people are doing it, and you are not, are you missing something?
You only live once, make the most of it.

Prawn2king4
9th Dec 2018, 04:20
AW45: Succinctly put.

I guess it boils down to how much you like, or need, being in touch. Maybe it’s an age thing (though I have a good friend, older than me, who couldn’t agree with you more). If Livingstone & Stanley had smart phones (and I’m sure they would have liked the option during various ordeals) then one of the great adventures/mysteries of the 19th century probably wouldn’t have occurred, or been relegated to a brief burst of FB interest. The point I’m making is that lack of communication can add to the mystery of life, a view that would probably not be shared by the two proponents above, but nonetheless succeeded in intriguing many others. I cannot remember being in possession of a “thing”, the loss or withdrawal of which would produce in me a feeling of isolation and (as I’ve read) instant panic.

However, I recently saw a toddler trying to swipe the pages of a book, so you’re right – you only live once, so make the most of it.

chuks
9th Dec 2018, 04:47
I was just on a trip to Oman with a group of dentists and doctors, when one of them whipped out her smart phone and took a picture of lunch: a huge fish called a King Fish ("Holy mackerel, Andy!") that could easily feed six. "Okay," I thought, "but why?" I guess she picked this practice up from her children. It used to be enough to return and tell about the big fish in Oman; now our powers of description have faded so that we need to substitute an image, while technology has made it very easy to make images.

When we got a new Golf for the daughter there was a little Nokia phone in a niche on the dashboard, still in its box, battery never even inserted, with a VW logo as its screensaver. She didn't want it, because she has an iPhone, so I bought it for €50. I use it to make telephone calls on a PAYG card, but I did get another visitor to do a "selfie" of me in front of Marx's grave in HIghgate Cemetery.

One of the dentists on this trip pulled out his phone to show us stuff every day, when it must have had literally a thousand different clips, images, and what-all ... amazing. I pulled out mine and showed him "me with Karl" That was about it, though. One image of the wife, one each of the kids, and four of an experiment in composition that was not worth taking a proper photo of ... that was it.

St. Jerome in the wilderness, me. Well, it would be if I could figure out how to get pizza delivered. Living on roots and berries ... nah.

Imagegear
9th Dec 2018, 06:22
I opened a Facebook account many years ago, and never ever posted a word to it. It was acquired by Mme IG who now talks to the world and their dogs.

I am still searching for a way to go "Off Grid" but still retain access to healthcare, but it's not easy. One thinks large comfortable yacht, stock up on consumables, leave port, get out of the shipping lanes, switch the AIS and all other links off, and disappear until you need to make contact.

Perhaps some one here has tried, I'd like to know before I commit. :ok:

IG

jindabyne
9th Dec 2018, 10:57
As a relatively fit old git in both mind and body (daughters might have another view), I've never objected to worthwhile change, and recognize that as time marches on so do trends, habits and cultures. That said, it's mho that the widespread addiction to the use of mobiles (by all ages) and tablets, and the plethora of mindless dialogue on Facebook is both socially sad and unhealthy. I do have a Facebook account, recently re-activated; but use it very sparingly, probably as more of an obituary thing (sad, but necessary these days), and to keep track of those close to me on their foreign travels. Going about my daily routines, to me the pervasive sight of those about me with their noses glued to their small screens, oblivious to their surroundings and fellow creatures, is increasingly incredulous.

My IT activity involves the widespread use of e-mail, smartphone and internet as 'as 'n when' tools', with occasional excursions into PPRuNe. I carry the mobile with me but use it discretely, exposing it only should someone in my company have a need for snippets of information, or to take a call (which I do in privacy).

All of that aside, there's sod all I can influence (except disallowing the appearance of IT technology at my dining table). So, with this exception, I mostly keep my grumpy opinions muffled!

flash8
9th Dec 2018, 15:49
I refuse to carry a camera phone or even a smartphone and for years carried around a Nokia 6310i.... I would still carry it around but I stupidly gave it to a friend - when you have no smartphone you truly forget about such things as social media - they simply aren't part of your life. Now have a Nokia 8210 I picked up in a flea market here in Moscow for the same price as a double vodka red bull. When I whip it out (the phone that is) complete with old Nokia ringtone people move away from me in disgust.

MFC_Fly
9th Dec 2018, 17:47
and the plethora of mindless dialogue on Facebook is both socially sad and unhealthy
As opposed to the often seen plethora of mindless dialogue on PPRuNe? ;)

Blues&twos
9th Dec 2018, 18:24
I've had a Facebook account for about 7 years. It has definitely deteriorated over the years, to the extent I rarely post anything now. It's a shame, I found it pleasant and entertaining to keep in touch with friends who've moved away, all around the country. Unfortunately, I reckon it should be re-named "Crap web links, Political Rants and Dodgy Adverts Book".

bnt
9th Dec 2018, 18:55
I had a Twitter account since its early days, which I never used and finally nuked this year. I tried Facebook for about six months last year, and found it incredibly annoying - so that went too. The only social media I use now is Instagram, which works for me because a lot of people use it for arty things, showing off their work and so on. I follow some aviation users and architects, a couple of friends... and I don't mind admitting I follow Liz Hurley too. :ok:

Gertrude the Wombat
9th Dec 2018, 19:17
The only social media I use now is Instagram
... ses someone in a post on PPRuNe ... WTF do you think PPRuNe is if it isn't "social media"???

bafanguy
9th Dec 2018, 19:25
... WTF do you think PPRuNe is if it isn't "social media"???

A website like PPRuNe isn't social media in the order of Facebook, Instagram or Twitter because it's mostly devoted to a narrow area of interest vs being all over the place like the actual social media sites.

It's different enough to escape the stigma of the likes of Facebook et al.

yellowtriumph
9th Dec 2018, 19:54
I'm of pretty much the same view as the OP. My mobile 'phone is an old Nokia that only gets turned on about once a month or so, and has only ever been used to make 'phone calls. I never send texts or use the camera on it.

I don't do any form of social media other than a couple of internet forums like this one. I just cannot see any merit in making my private life public, for millions of people to see. By the same token I don't like the privacy intrusions by lots of gadgets, either.

I do find the internet a fantastic resource, though, for a whole host of reasons.

My bold. But you don't have to? I have a Facebook account but I do not post on it, I use it to read a FB site that someone has set up about my infant/primary and senior schools - happy reminiscing if you like.

If you were to look up my FB site profile you would discover that:
My name is Vic Mooseplaster (It isn't)
I was born in 1970 (I wish!)
I was born in Sydney (Warmer than Southern England for sure)
I went to Narkover School (I didn't but perhaps wish I did, look it up if you're interested)

So this way I am not at all worried about the megalith that is Facebook influencing me when it comes to election time because they know nothing about me that is true, neither would any random web surfer find me.

Perhaps it would an interesting thread to start : Fantasy Facebook profiles?

I have a mobile phone but it never rings, my wife says this is because I never give the number out to anyone apart from her. Yours, Vic.

VP959
9th Dec 2018, 20:28
Facebook will know where you live, what web sites you visit, what devices you use to access the web, things like the operating system, screen resolution, etc. They may well know your address, real name, phone number, email address and other details, because they are very, very good at cross-correlating data from the information you've freely (and silently) given them by accessing their website.

Giving them fake data has virtually no impact at all; thousands do this and yet it's a fairly pointless exercise unless you hide your IP address (by using a VPN) and also take precautions to hide details of the device you are using to access their service. This can be done, but I'd guess 99% of people just don't realise how much personal info they are giving away just by accessing a web site so they don't bother. As an example, right now I'm logged on here using a pseudonym, the email address I originally registered when I joined has long since disappeared, yet I know that the forum admins here will know where I live, what my real name is, what sort of device I'm using right now, the browser type, websites I've visited recently that have been captured by tracking cookies, etc, etc. I'm pretty sure that this forum only uses that information to target adverts, but Facebook makes most of its money by correlating masses of personal data and using it to enhance their revenue. It's not clear just who they sell data to, but there are enough questions being asked about their lack of transparency to make me believe that they are far from concerned about privacy.

Argonautical
9th Dec 2018, 20:31
I have also had a long career in IT (PDP8s anyone?) and I also don't bother with social media with the exception of email.

SpringHeeledJack
9th Dec 2018, 20:38
I think that if you live abroad and to a greater extent are isolated from your original culture and interests, then FB etc are an umbilical cord to your past and a major improvement on years gone by where extortionate phone calls and once weekly newspapers were the umbilical. If you have an interest/hobby or a cause or business, you'd be silly not to use social media, but the often mindless disgorging of daily trivialities speak more of our vacuous lives than anything else.

I haven't partaken in social media, as generally accepted, as I too can see little merit in making my private life public (not that it's so interesting), but I can remember in my 20's wanting people to know all about me, a sort of self advertising or promotion to gain peace, love and happiness ;-) so perhaps if it had been around then maybe I'd be a fan. As mentioned, Instagram seems to be a cool showplace for creative types to showcase their work so that's a game changer for many caught in the claws of powerful gatekeepers.

I know of one person who has an FB account purely to be a voyeur into other people's lives, that he knows and meets/encounters along the way!

yellowtriumph
9th Dec 2018, 22:02
Facebook will know where you live, what web sites you visit, what devices you use to access the web, things like the operating system, screen resolution, etc. They may well know your address, real name, phone number, email address and other details, because they are very, very good at cross-correlating data from the information you've freely (and silently) given them by accessing their website.

Giving them fake data has virtually no impact at all; thousands do this and yet it's a fairly pointless exercise unless you hide your IP address (by using a VPN) and also take precautions to hide details of the device you are using to access their service. This can be done, but I'd guess 99% of people just don't realise how much personal info they are giving away just by accessing a web site so they don't bother. As an example, right now I'm logged on here using a pseudonym, the email address I originally registered when I joined has long since disappeared, yet I know that the forum admins here will know where I live, what my real name is, what sort of device I'm using right now, the browser type, websites I've visited recently that have been captured by tracking cookies, etc, etc. I'm pretty sure that this forum only uses that information to target adverts, but Facebook makes most of its money by correlating masses of personal data and using it to enhance their revenue. It's not clear just who they sell data to, but there are enough questions being asked about their lack of transparency to make me believe that they are far from concerned about privacy.

Interestng. I’ve just visited my Facebook page and there were 4 ads. One for dog food - we don’t have any pets. One for a new flat development in North London - I cant remember the last time I was North of the river let alone in the market to buy a flat. One for some sort of massage therapy on a lilo - what is that all about. The last one was to help me find places where I can ‘gig’ - I can’t play any musical instruments. A very small snapshot I admit but would seem to me that the analytics surrounding all this have some way to go. Vic.

Gertrude the Wombat
9th Dec 2018, 22:38
would seem to me that the analytics surrounding all this have some way to go. Vic.
It's not much better when they do know about you. Eg, buy a plane ticket to X, and the ads you'll see for the next couple of weeks are people trying to sell you plane tickets to X. Which you blindingly obviously don't need, because you've just bought one.

Tankertrashnav
9th Dec 2018, 23:19
Love Facebook. There are groups on it tailored to all my interests - aviation, medals, railways and more. There is a group for fans of the three V Bombers and I have great fun winding up the young Vulcan groupies whose only experience of a V Bomber was seeing XH 558 before it was grounded. We also have a family group on whatsapp where we and our 3 children can keep in touch frequently without having to duplicate messages

Eg, buy a plane ticket to X, and the ads you'll see for the next couple of weeks are people trying to sell you plane tickets to X.

Mrs TTN once asked me to order some bras for her on Amazon. For the next couple of weeks my computer was infested with pictures of ladies in bras of every sort. I dont think she ever really believed my explanation of why this was happening!

yellowtriumph
9th Dec 2018, 23:26
....Mrs TTN once asked me to order some bras for her on Amazon. For the next couple of weeks my computer was infested with pictures of ladies in bras of every sort. I dont think she ever really believed my explanation of why this was happening! ...

Market research?

treadigraph
10th Dec 2018, 07:35
We also have a family group on whatsapp

I use Whatsapp to keep in touch with several family/friends groups and am encouraging one or two friends who don't use it to do so. Example, arranging for four of us to meet up for pints next week, far easier if all four were on Whatsapp and in a group - one currently not, had some problems setting it up followed by a sense of humour failure!

Not interested in Facebook or anything similar; I used to run the office Twitter account which i found excruciatingly tiresome to use.

Politicians/pundits should stay the **** away from Twitter, all of them look complete arses.

Nemrytter
10th Dec 2018, 07:41
You lot do realise that pprune is a social media site, right?

david1300
10th Dec 2018, 09:12
Whoops - I apologise - I seem to have wandered into the dinosaur house where there us a certain pride in self-declaring as a dinosaur. I'll be on my way now

Blues&twos
10th Dec 2018, 09:17
Nemrytter, PPRuNe isn't quite the same as, say, Facebook in that I can pick which bits I want to read and I don't have to scroll through endless photographs of people's lunch, their children, their new guitars/bicycles/clothes and maps of where they've been running today.

I do use Facebook, but it is irritating.

Nemrytter
10th Dec 2018, 14:51
It is blindingly simple to select what you do/don't want to see on facebook.

VP959
10th Dec 2018, 15:08
Interestng. I’ve just visited my Facebook page and there were 4 ads. One for dog food - we don’t have any pets. One for a new flat development in North London - I cant remember the last time I was North of the river let alone in the market to buy a flat. One for some sort of massage therapy on a lilo - what is that all about. The last one was to help me find places where I can ‘gig’ - I can’t play any musical instruments. A very small snapshot I admit but would seem to me that the analytics surrounding all this have some way to go. Vic.

It's not wholly about the ads you see or don't see, though, it's all about data collection, the correlation of that (from many sources) into meaningful (and valuable) data sets and then selling that information on. Some may get used for advertising, some may get used to shape things like insurance policies, the bottom line is that we don't have either any control over the correlated data, nor what it gets used for.

finfly1
10th Dec 2018, 17:24
Whoops - I apologise - I seem to have wandered into the dinosaur house where there us a certain pride in self-declaring as a dinosaur. I'll be on my way now

Just try to never forget how very much more dinosaurs know about life than young people do.

G-CPTN
10th Dec 2018, 19:47
Google said the flaw allowed "name, email address, occupation, and age" to be exposed (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-46515590)

Steepclimb
11th Dec 2018, 01:59
I write this on my smartphone, it knows where I am and where I go. If I go to a restauraunt or shop it askes me to review it. It asked me to review a ladies hairdressers I happened to pass neaby. But my wife uses it so I was happy to say it's good. I think it's funny that my phone tracks me because my life is so implausibly dull.
My friend who I'll meet tomorrow for coffee is totally paranoid. She won't have a smartphone so I like to wind her up by telling her the phone knows where she is and wants her review.
So I don't care that my phone knows where I've been because my life is boring. Otherwise I'd switch it off if I had something to hide.
Simple really.

Ancient Mariner
11th Dec 2018, 05:39
Some of us dino's like, and buy the latest tech stuff and enjoy social media. Then again I had my first mobile in '86 and my number one laptop was a Toshiba sans battery, mains only and a little tiny monochrome screen. Still has it, and most of my old mobile phones.....and calculators.......and cameras...and........
Per

Nemrytter
11th Dec 2018, 07:53
Just try to never forget how very much more dinosaurs know about life than young people do.Very little, if this place is anything to go by. Age only brings wisdom to the willing mind.

Ancient Mariner
11th Dec 2018, 08:00
Very little, if this place is anything to go by. Age only brings wisdom to the willing mind.
Like, like and like.
Per

cattletruck
11th Dec 2018, 08:56
So I don't care that my phone knows where I've been because my life is boring. Otherwise I'd switch it off if I had something to hide.

Except with modern phones orf is no longer the orf we once knew it as. You can take the battery out but that only takes you to the next level of being orf.

With everyone heads buried in their i-phone thingies I'm beginning to think this social media caper is not so bad after all, for on a train I can now size up with my eyes some pretty lady's t!ts without any chance of getting caught. :E

david1300
16th Dec 2018, 11:25
Nemrytter, PPRuNe isn't quite the same as, say, Facebook in that I can pick which bits I want to read and I don't have to scroll through endless photographs of people's lunch, their children, their new guitars/bicycles/clothes and maps of where they've been running today.

I do use Facebook, but it is irritating.

About 2 days a month I spend all of 5 minutes 'training' my FB feed what I am and am not interested in. Not hard at all and effective.