PDA

View Full Version : JetStar Japan Interview

TheBounce
7th Dec 2018, 19:43
Because the forum is lacking in current JetStar information, I wanted to write something to give you what my experience throughout the JetStar process was like, including the interview. There's no bias in this, as it was simply an experience, and my motive is not to influence, rather to inform. This job is advertised as a NTR contract. IT IS NOT. You are required to have a type rating before starting class, paid for by you. I get more into that below.

To give you a working timeline, my first contact with JetStar occured on October 1st. Today is December 7th. As I had and do have many apps out, I would stay up late to ensure that I could have concise and timely dialogue with my contacts. Rarely did more than an hour pass between emails.

The first step is an online interview. It's mostly tell us why, with one or two tell me about a time when, and a couple of what would you do if. It took 30-45 minutes, if I recall correctly. I submitted that, and they came back with a follow-on question to an answer, which I replied in email to.

This was followed with a comprehensive psychometric test. It took about an hour or an hour and a half. The psychometric test is a multiple choice test that consists of varying answers between strongly agree and strongly disagree. Following that, they set you up for an in person evaluation that consists of a medical exam, an in person interview and a sim eval. The time between the first email and the invitation was 28 days. I was invited to an early December in person screening.

The screening is set up to be a 1 or 2 day event, depending on schedules, arrival time, etc. For me, it was 1 day. 0800 medical screening and 2200 interview and sim eval. The medical screening was the most complex screening that I have been a part of, outside of the military. EKG, EEG, vision, ear/nose/throat, blood, etc. Pretty standard for Asia from my understanding. I arrived at 0745, and left at 1200.

The interview and sim eval is at JAL's facility at Haneda. I started with the interview. It was very informal, with my recruiter and a Training Captain being present.

Here are the highlights:
Type rating must be obtained prior to the start of class. Repayment is done in 2 installments; one at the first pay period after starting training, the 2nd on the anniversary of your first year. This WAS NOT disclosed at any point prior to my arrival in Japan. No other candidate was notified of the type rating requirement. There was a document that was sent on my departure day with an "Oops, sorry to have not sent this to you before today." It appeared to be an intentional omission.
140-ish pilots in the company, mostly Captains, 24 airplanes growing to 29 by end of FY 2019, if they can staff them. Upgrade is 4 years...
BUT... NO EXPAT HAS EVER BEEN UPGRADED AT JETSTAR.
Upgrade is merit based vs seniority based. Several Captains have been direct entry Captains.
Three bases in the company. Narita, Chibu, and Osaka (Kansai). No expats live in Chibu because, "They're very proud in Chibu and don't much like Westerners. Also, very expensive."
Company is openly hostile and unwelcoming to westerners by their own account.

My sim eval was next. No prior experience in Airbus.
Sim eval took 20-30 minutes. Narita 16R departure, standard climb out, some maneuvering; basic climbs, descents and turns on the downwind leg followed by a turn to intercept 16R localizer, track the course inbound and land to full stop. Vis 5000M, 005 OVC. Captain mostly observed. Made slight conversation, but I wasn't sure if he was trying to converse or distract from the eval and score on Sterile violation.

Day started at 0745. Ended at 0200 with all candidates (3) finished with the sim and interview.

My takeaway from the experience is that they have no desire to hire expats or westerners. They are going through the motions of recruiting and attracting people to appear as though they are doing their job. I would also think that my experience at JetStar, should I go, is going to be extremely hostile, combative in the way that Asians do passive aggressive combat tactics, and unpleasant. I am thankful that the interviewing Captain was direct and honest with me about the situation.

Hope that you find this beneficial. I'll answer any question that I can.

LiamW
28th Dec 2018, 16:37
Hello,

I'm currently finishing my atpls, and no where near close to looking for any kind of job, especially like this. However I like to research information like this for WAY into the future, and out of utter interest.
Anyway I was wondering; are you going to go? If so I'd just be interested to see how you get on and what it entails.

Cheers.

PILOTHEAD
30th Dec 2018, 14:17
Is this for the 320?