PDA

View Full Version : O2 Outage

SpringHeeledJack
6th Dec 2018, 19:29
For all of today the UK O2 network was partially and totally disabled due to a network issues of a 3rd party. Not only were 25million O2 customers affected, but another 7 million who use companies that piggyback on the O2 network, crazy numbers of affected in a small country. For most it was just no data on the move, but for others a disaster in business terms as they were cut off in real terms. Add in many other networks around the world also affected by the same software issue and it raises the question of just how vulnerable our communication network(s) are to disruptions and attacks.

Gertrude the Wombat
6th Dec 2018, 19:35
Seen reports that it was due to an expired certificate := - everybody is aware of the dangers of this, and yet we all do it from time to time.

TWT
6th Dec 2018, 19:57
If your business relies on the services of one telco then you should have a backup plan for redundancy.

Lonewolf_50
6th Dec 2018, 20:09
From the title, I was afraid that someone had stopped providing Oxygen (O2). Glad it's just telecoms rubbish.

SpringHeeledJack
6th Dec 2018, 20:19
If your business relies on the services of one telco then you should have a backup plan for redundancy.

That might be sage advice for large companies, but I'd wager that most were small, or single person outfits who wouldn't have or need the redundancy contingency.

flash8
6th Dec 2018, 20:33
In many (Eastern European/Asian) countries it is common to carry dual SIM phones usually with two different network SIMS because of the way tariffs are structured.

In fact I own a tri-SIM phone (Fly TS-111) I picked up in Siberia for $20 USD... the guy in the shop told me they were the best seller! Ironically a British company (Fly) that don't sell their products in the UK.

​​I guess due to tariffs and contracts in the UK it isn't better financially to do this.

But a great backup as well I now realize.

TWT
6th Dec 2018, 21:22
That might be sage advice for large companies, but I'd wager that most were small, or single person outfits who wouldn't have or need the redundancy contingency.

Depending on your business needs, even small outfits should still have alternative options such as 4G dongles etc.

Of course, if you're a street trader relying on a portable 4G EFTPOS system then it's a bit more difficult as you're tied in to one provider usually.

flash8
6th Dec 2018, 21:33
Many small businesses use EPOS terminals connected via a mobile network - one can assume today it was cash only for many.

On a more serious note I bet many people within Telefonica (and other networks) are seriously worried and this time realize they got away lightly.

4G dongles Don't they still use a SIM card?

TWT
6th Dec 2018, 21:45
Don't they still use a SIM card?

If your business needs internet access....

KelvinD
6th Dec 2018, 23:19
It seems the problems are not down to O2 or even Telefonica. They are all caused by a piece of software running packet switching and provided by Ericsson. Not confined to Europe either. Apparently Japan has been hit with the same problem.

SpringHeeledJack
7th Dec 2018, 06:21
https://www.zdnet.com/article/ericsson-expired-certificate-caused-o2-and-softbank-outages/

treadigraph
7th Dec 2018, 06:33
Transport for London's bus stop information boards were out last night which somebody told me was due to the O2 outage. One doesn't always realise just how many facets of our daily lives are affected by mobile technology these days...

Devon Flyer
7th Dec 2018, 06:42
With my phone not working all day, i actually had time to sit down and chat with the wife. I never realised that she didn't work in Woolworths anymore

ShyTorque
7th Dec 2018, 07:16
Devon Flyer,

Good one! Both myself and my wife laughed at that. :ok:

ORAC
7th Dec 2018, 07:23
The Future Cometh.....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Infinite-Detail-Tim-Maughan/dp/0374175411

UniFoxOs
7th Dec 2018, 07:43
Does O2 really have a customer base of 40% of the total population of the UK?

Statista (random site I found, don't know how accurate they are ) suggest 26% for 2017, a more believable figure IMO.

Simmbob
7th Dec 2018, 07:48
Just a gripe....

When has a power cut or a services cut... become an outage?

Simmbob

treadigraph
7th Dec 2018, 08:09
Simmbob, perhaps it's a contraction of outrage...

cattletruck
7th Dec 2018, 10:14
When I worked for them Ericsson retards, our database administrator was flown interstate to a telco customer's data centre to install an experimental Oracle performance improvement patch which apparently was only successfully tested on low end hardware in our test labs (he was not a systems person by any stretch of the imagination).

He promptly brought the entire telco's mobile phone network down for two hours after the patch corrupted the database software which then put the telco into disaster recovery mode. I thought he would lose his job because of it, but special retards at Ericsson always had special privileges.

Mr Optimistic
7th Dec 2018, 10:18
Devon Flyer gets my vote.

The Nip
7th Dec 2018, 11:17
Does O2 really have a customer base of 40% of the total population of the UK?

Statista (random site I found, don't know how accurate they are ) suggest 26% for 2017, a more believable figure IMO.

If you count, Tesco, GiffGaff, and Sky then I suppose it must be close. They all use the O2 network.

UniFoxOs
7th Dec 2018, 13:45
If you count, Tesco, GiffGaff, and Sky then I suppose it must be close. They all use the O2 network.

Not sure about Sky and RiffRaff but the last time I looked My Tesco SIM card connects me via EE.

VP959
7th Dec 2018, 14:27
The mobile network does a lot more than provide mobile 'phone signals, though, everything from smart meters through bus signage to car park payments and utilisation signage run through it, and probably loads of other services as well.

Sallyann1234
7th Dec 2018, 15:13
As mentioned above, it's worth having a phone with more than one SIM. I have giffgaff/O2 as the second SIM in my Samsung phone, so wasn't affected by the problems yesterday. But it could equally as well have been my main service, EE, that had failed and I would have been glad of gg as a backup.

It doesn't cost anything to have that standby SIM, other than sending a text every 90 days to keep it active.

Pontius Navigator
8th Dec 2018, 14:24
Devon Flyer,

Good one! Both myself and my wife laughed at that. :ok:
Mrs PN just rattled the paper. I said 'and you too' and got the finger.

Morse is so much easier.

Pontius Navigator
8th Dec 2018, 14:27
I see there are calls for internal roaming.

My network is Talktalk. TT uses the O2 network. Yesterday my phone was on Vodafone so clearly roaming kicked in.

aerobelly
8th Dec 2018, 19:44
Not sure about Sky and RiffRaff but the last time I looked My Tesco SIM card connects me via EE.

Tesco themselves say O2, and my Tesco phone was out for voice as well as data all day. On the bright side Tesco are offering 2Gb of data free, gratis and for nowt. That's two months charges saved for me, so I'm happy with that. Actually I have three live Tesco PAYG sims == bonus!

Of course it's people like me hanging on to old phones that grossly inflates the number of customers claimed. I need at least two, one to use and another to ring it when I can't remember where I left it.

Gertrude the Wombat
8th Dec 2018, 21:47
Just had an email from Giffgaff. Do I want to take my compensation as air time or have it paid to charity?

I didn't notice any outage, I've never used a fraction of the minimum air time package they sell, so it's the charity option for me.

Sallyann1234
9th Dec 2018, 16:09
I see there are calls for internal roaming.
When the first two cellular operators - BT Cellnet and Vodafone - were licensed there was a requirement for them to eventually have inter-network roaming, so that users could switch when in areas where only one operator had service. But this requirement was dropped since both networks developed very similar coverage.
​​​​​​The fear now about internal roaming is that if one network failed, there would be a domino effect as users moved en masse to other networks and swamped them in turn. That's without considering the cost of the complex networking arrangements that would be needed.
It's safer to have complete isolation.

​​​​

UniFoxOs
10th Dec 2018, 06:25
Apologies, chaps, Tesco is O2, had an apology text from them yesterday and an offer of 2GB free data, completely useless to me as I have no idea how to use it, and couldn't be arsed to find out how to set the phone up to do so.

It was deffo EE when I bought the SIM card, I guess they swapped at some point, or else I was lied to by the shop assistant. Part of the reason for buying it was that EE had better coverage, so maybe I have to go back to them again.

davews
10th Dec 2018, 07:17
I thought Tesco was always O2 and my 5 year old PAYG phone definitely is. I saw the 2GB data offer, useless to me on a non smart 2G phone.

Pontius Navigator
10th Dec 2018, 07:29
I thought Tesco was always O2 and my 5 year old PAYG phone definitely is. I saw the 2GB data offer, useless to me on a non smart 2G phone.
We have O2 contract and 2G too, not heard a peep. This phone TT 3G and they use O2 too, nix.

Mind you, we are such heavy users we didn't notice :)

SpringHeeledJack
10th Dec 2018, 12:03
Probably didn't have much disruption on the calling/receiving side of things, so therefore no compensation for 2G users ?

cats_five
10th Dec 2018, 14:58

If you backup the certificate you have backed up a certificate that has expired when you restore it.

UniFoxOs
10th Dec 2018, 16:15
Probably didn't have much disruption on the calling/receiving side of things, so therefore no compensation for 2G users ?

Not so - I got the (useless to me) compo and my phone is locked on 2G as there ain't no 3G round here. And my phone wasn't even switched on that day.