PDA

View Full Version : Food @ jerez?

kate
31st Jul 2001, 18:23
Could anyone who's been to Jerez tell me about the food which is on offer as I am about to join in October?

Night Las Palmas
31st Jul 2001, 18:57
I went to BAe at PIK many moons ago and words can't describe how bad the food was.

I hope its improved since their move to spain or they will have some pretty slim students.

Regards
Night LPA :eek:

Edited for spelling as usual :rolleyes:

[ 31 July 2001: Message edited by: Night Las Palmas ]

gazelle507
31st Jul 2001, 19:49
I will say that the food is five star and the catering staff there will look after you very well if you are on a special diet. Three lovely meals in a comfortable dining room and you can even eat on the patio, heaven. Wish I was back there. Good luck and happy flying, you lucky thing. :D :D :cool:

Wee Weasley Welshman
31st Jul 2001, 20:17
People used to moan about the foo out there - particularly the French students but then they were French so that worried no-one. ;)

I thought the foos was fine and I had a years worth of lunches there. I guess it was a bit repetitive if you lived there 24/7/365 but it really wasn't a major issue. Eating out in Spain is superb and cheap once you know the right places. Most of the students coudl afford at least one decent off campus meal a week if they chose to.

Cheers,

Manflex55
31st Jul 2001, 23:34
Another question for the Jerez guys : I see on my Air Atlas that there are 7 Danger Areas to the SW of the airfield & 1 to the NE. Can anyone tell me what those are ? Thanks.

MF

sydneyc
1st Aug 2001, 00:01
Kate,

Are you heading out to Jerez as a self-sponsored student?

Sydneyc

Wee Weasley Welshman
1st Aug 2001, 01:03
Those danger areas belong to the US Navy for their base at Rota - the 6th Fleet is serviced out of there.

Manflex55
1st Aug 2001, 22:17
Very interesting info, thanks to U both.

MF

clear prop!!!
2nd Aug 2001, 00:46
Oh! bliss!!

Food is now the major hurdle/worry in getting through your ATPL...how things are changing for the better! http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/Gif/homercake.gif bon appetitte .. or whatever that is in Spanish!

Spare a thought for those who lived on beans, bananas and tuna whilst struggling with Air Law!!! http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/sunnies.gif

[ 01 August 2001: Message edited by: clear prop!!! ]

Speed Addict
2nd Aug 2001, 03:07
"3 club sandwiches & bowl of soup" may be fine to some, but to some others this could not be called a meal. Actually, far from that...
Food at Jerez is typically British or made for the Brits. Fine for them. Whatever makes them happy! After all, they seem to be keener on the drinking than on the eating.
It is however a real shame that people about to start a career that will hopefully take them all over the world are neither interested or educated (sometimes plainly unable?) to appreciate the delicacies international cuisine offers.
If it is a choice, I respect that. If not, what a waste of pleasure!
Last but not least, do not forget how important it is to stay fit and healthy to fly for long and always safe.
Other opinions welcome.

Wee Weasley Welshman
2nd Aug 2001, 10:36
Nah, blow that for a game of soldiers - give us 5 types of premium lagers to choose from and then any kind of keebab you care to have lying around...

Have you ever eaten at the OATS canteen? ever braved the CABAIR halls? I have many times and they don't even come close to the Jerez food. Plus they ain't free/inclusive of course price.

Now if you want excellence in coporate eating you need to experience the CAA canteen - they live well at Aviation House. And cheap.

;)

To be honest I think this debate is a little academic as you are surely going to visit the schools before investing circa 50 big ones with them - in which case there will be opportunity enough to sample the canteens.

Cheers,

scroggs
2nd Aug 2001, 10:48
International cuisine? I'll give you international: curry from India; chinese from, well, China; pizza fom Italy; burger from the USA; kebabs from Turkey; sausages from Germany; fish'n'chips from Blighty; all washed down with the finest Australian amber nectar, or Belgium's finest, or Denmark's probably-not-the-best, or even that French 1664 stuff. We know about international cuisine, we do. Practically invented the stuff, the Brits.
Wanders off, muttering, 'bloody French, fink they know all about food......'

Manflex55
2nd Aug 2001, 13:38
Scroggs,

I'm sorry but I have to defend my country here. Ask anyone about "french cuisine" & they'll think "state of the art". Ask about "english cuisine".... say again ? Not to mention english wine or english cheese...

Take any major city in the US. The only place U'll find what I call "decent food" is the local french restaurant (will probably be the most expensive one as well). Ever seen an "english restaurant" ?

Good news for U though : an excellent french restaurant called "Couleurs France" has opened a few months ago in S****horpe (sunny Scunny)... so U can B my guest next time U visit the area & maybe this will make U change your mind.

MF :)

Capt Wannabe
2nd Aug 2001, 14:19
It is interesting that the only person who regularly complains about the food here is also the student who has been here the longest, having still not graduated after nearly two years.
Perhaps if he spent more time concentrating on getting an ATPL rather than moaning he would not still be here.
WWW, you know who I mean ;)

VFE
2nd Aug 2001, 14:41
I don't care what the food's like as long as there is a bottle of HP Sauce! :D

Wor
2nd Aug 2001, 20:24
HI Kate

There r about 4 others on PPrune that are starting in Oct (hopefully) at jerez so if you want to get in touch email me,or use the thread that Le-Slat Disagree has set up entitled (quite aptly) BAe Jerez - October course

Wor :)

Wor
2nd Aug 2001, 20:48
Have you already got your place cos it looks like there are only 4 self sponsored places and they have all gone!!!! Or r u from an airline in which case can you tell us which airline is taking the other 10 places???

Wor :confused: