PDA

View Full Version : New Firecracker

meadowrun
6th Dec 2018, 06:08
"Canadian officials have arrested Wanzhou Meng, the chief financial officer and deputy chairwoman of the board for the Chinese tech giant Huawei.
According to a statement from the Department of Justice, Meng was arrested in Vancouver on Saturday and is being sought for extradition by the United States. A bail hearing has been set for Friday.
The Globe and Mail reported earlier Wednesday that she was arrested on suspicion of violating U.S. trade sanctions on Iran."

Could be big. The Chinese Embassy is having conniption fits............How dare you! .........sputter....sputter.......Release her immediately........Don't you know who we are?
Stuff like that.

Duck for inevitable retaliation(s).

UniFoxOs
6th Dec 2018, 06:45
I've never understood how one country can think it has the right to enforce its own laws an what other people do in other countries.

BlankBox
6th Dec 2018, 08:18
...should just go to the Chinese Consulate ...I'm sure they have a tunnel to False Creek for just this purpose :cool:

currawong
6th Dec 2018, 09:42
I've never understood how one country can think it has the right to enforce its own laws an what other people do in other countries.

Are you talking about China, the US or Canada?

ian16th
6th Dec 2018, 13:21
Are you talking about China, the US or Canada?

Or Iran, Iraq, the UAE..........................

Imagegear
6th Dec 2018, 15:46
Interesting how all those innocent British subjects ended up in Guantanamo. :E

IG

ATNotts
6th Dec 2018, 16:06

And lays bare the idea that the UK can "take back control". Control lies with the US government in trade matters; it disgusting, it's wrong, but until there another country or group of countries strong enough to take the USA on, and win, that is the way it will be.

obgraham
6th Dec 2018, 16:15
But you had no problem when the Brits ran the world the way they saw fit.

racedo
6th Dec 2018, 16:42
All that will happen is a US Business person will get arrested and held.

US decides we want this person and everybody else must give them up but when it comes to one of their own they refuse extradition.

currawong
7th Dec 2018, 03:32
Just for a little context, Sydney Morning Herald, 04/07/18

"The controversial 2010 prosecution of four Rio Tinto employees during iron ore price negotiations was described at the time as a low point in the Australia-China relationship.

Hu's arrest was seen at the time as payback for Rio pulling out of a deal that would have allowed the state-controlled Chinalco to increase its equity stake in the British-Australian mining company.

Hu was convicted during a three-day trial in Shanghai, which was, in part, closed to the media. The people who were accused of paying bribes to him and his colleagues have never been charged"

So not afraid to get their hands dirty to get what they want.

And very few inclined to push back.

UniFoxOs
7th Dec 2018, 07:48
But you had no problem when the Brits ran the world the way they saw fit.

Did I? You know this how?

I don't think we ran the world, only those places we had colonised, or had issues directly with. Maybe you can enlighten me as to when we asked country A to arrest someone and extradite them to us, when that person had been involved in selling goods from country B to country C, neither of which we were openly at war with or allied with.

racedo
7th Dec 2018, 12:50
Wonder how does this work when you had US supplying arms to Israel who then selling and supplying them to Iran.

How much did the equipment really cost in the Al Yamaneh contract and how much did UK taxpayers have to fund in support of paying bribes to many people in Uk business and politics.

The list of Govt and Business malfeasance is quite long.

meadowrun
7th Dec 2018, 17:55
A lot of comments about the jurisdictional warrant procedures, not much on the removal of their product from 5G, 4G and 3G networks and the ban on buying their equipment by several countries, the restrictions on technology sales to their sister company by the US, the reasons for the Iran warrant and why she has dodged the matter until now.

Gertrude the Wombat
7th Dec 2018, 18:03
I don't think we ran the world, only those places we had colonised, or had issues directly with.
Yes, the "had issues with" bit covers it - unimportant bits of the world we just didn't bother with.

I was explaining to Mrs GtW this morning that the Empire and the Industrial Revolution were down to the interaction of the Peter Principle and the English class system (whether she believed me is another matter). It goes like this:

The natural state of a society is that people get promoted until they reach the level at which they can no longer cope, with the result that in a steady state all jobs are filled with people who aren't really very good at them.

What the English did different was have this rule that if you weren't born into the officer or gentleman class you couldn't get promoted to become an officer or a manager. So we had lots of really very good senior NCOs running the forces who couldn't get promoted to officers because they were born into the wrong family, hence the Empire, and a lot of really very good foremen running the factories who couldn't get promoted to management because they were born into the wrong family, hence the Industrial Revolution.

megan
8th Dec 2018, 02:18
And very few inclined to push backChina is using every means at its disposal to force countries into kowtowing to its demands.

China Bans Access To The ABC - B&T (http://www.bandt.com.au/media/china-bans-abc-online)

https://www.theepochtimes.com/chinese-consulate-tried-to-exclude-falun-gong-from-perth-christmas-parade-coordinator-says_2729259.html

Imagegear
8th Dec 2018, 10:03
Interesting that the Lady felt the need to have seven passports.

Perhaps it may have something to do with the fact that Huawei is the world's biggest supplier of network gear for phone and internet companies. It is also one of the leading sellers of smartphones.

Somebody getting nervous??

IG

meadowrun
8th Dec 2018, 13:11
China has summoned the Canadian ambassador in Beijing to register strong protests over the arrest.

Canada and the USA have a long standing treaty in law concerning extradition warrants. It normally operates with little fanfare.
China wants the rule of law to be by-passed for the lady. Doesn't count for her - or else.

Stuck in the middle again. Gonna probably hurt a bit. We're used to it.
Her bail hearing adjourned until Monday.

racedo
8th Dec 2018, 13:32
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46480208

Course this has nothing to do with it.

Apple provides backdoor access to NSA and all the other Alphabet Intelligence agencies

racedo
8th Dec 2018, 13:42
China has summoned the Canadian ambassador in Beijing to register strong protests over the arrest.

Canada and the USA have a long standing treaty in law concerning extradition warrants. It normally operates with little fanfare.
China wants the rule of law to be by-passed for the lady. Doesn't count for her - or else.

Stuck in the middle again. Gonna probably hurt a bit. We're used to it.
Her bail hearing adjourned until Monday.

This happened after G20, not before. I can see China deciding that to impose Tarriffs on something new.

https://www.theblaze.com/news/2018/10/26/us-soybean-exports-drop-by-97-percent-as-trade-deficit-with-china-grows

In 2017, China Imported $14 Billion of Soya beans, this year way below it. If nothing changes then Zero in 2019. This is pretty much the majority of US Agri exports to China. Unfortunately for the US they finding that leverage is not going to work.

Slow and curious
8th Dec 2018, 16:53
“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”

George Carlin

RatherBeFlying
8th Dec 2018, 16:54
The lady is getting due process including consular assistance (China representatives visiting in jail and present in the court room), open court with public and press access and legal counsel.

Huseyin Celil, a Canadian citizen, was extradited from Kazakhstan to China where he was given a life sentence in a closed court without any consular access to this day or effective legal representation.

Will China take heed of the due process afforded by Canada to Meng and afford to Uighurs such as Celil? I'm not holding my breath.

India Four Two
8th Dec 2018, 17:28
Something that intrigues me is exactly where in Vancouver airport, Ms. Meng was arrested. It is reported that she was "changing planes". I am assuming she arrived on an international flight, since if she had flown in on a domestic flight, there would have been earlier opportunities to arrest her.

I'm familiar with two options for arriving international passengers who are connecting at YVR. For domestic connections, you go through Canadian Immigration and then to the domestic terminal. For US connections, which I presume Ms. Meng wasn't doing, you go straight to US Immigration Pre-clearance and then board the US-bound flight, which is then treated as a domestic flight on arrival at its destination.

I'm not clear about how passengers who are connecting to another international flight are handled. I don't know whether they are able to get to their connecting flight without going through Canadian Immigration. Note that unlike Heathrow, Canada (like most countries that I've been to) segregates inbound and outbound international passengers.

meadowrun
8th Dec 2018, 19:16
Without looking it up....All passengers arriving at their first point of entry into Canada - clear Canadian customs.

India Four Two
8th Dec 2018, 20:20
meadowrun,

You are correct as far as passengers whose destination is in Canada. However, US bound passengers, arriving at Vancouver, go directly to US Customs Pre-clearance.

meadowrun
8th Dec 2018, 20:34
Special arrangement with the US. I believe all other international pax clear when transiting.
Pretty sure she was transiting to HKG or China somewhere.