PDA

View Full Version : Loss of licence/critical illness insurance

Council Van
5th Dec 2018, 16:51
I have mentioned this before and I will mention this again as it has slipped down the page into oblivion
DO NOT borrow large amounts of money, especially against some one else's assets, unless you have purchased enough critical illness and loss of licence insurance (medical) cover just incase you should become ill and not be able to complete your training or once you have got a job continue to do that job if you become ill.

Ensure that the insurance is from a good broker/advisor and specific to not being fit to work as a pilot.

Why do I mention this, because I am trying to do you a favour and because I was supposedly a fit and healthy airline pilot (been flying for 20 years for a living and any small debts long since paid off) until the 4th June this year when I was diagnosed with Leukemia, flying finished for at least two and a half years minimum but I had both of the above.

Protect yourself and your family if you borrow hundreds of thousands +.

HOPE FOR THE BEST, PREPARE FOE THE WORST.

Kind regards

Council Van
10th Dec 2018, 04:42
I wonder how many of you read this and then and went and buried your head in the sand thinking "it will never happened to me"?

paco
10th Dec 2018, 06:18
Sorry to hear that but you make a good point, especially to work "as a pilot". Some insurances make reference to "work within your capabilities" which includes sweeping the floor. A common trap to be wary of - read the small print!

phil

Council Van
10th Dec 2018, 06:27
Sorry to hear that Council Can and I hope you recover and are back flying fast.
As someone who has recently qualified (debt free), do you have the name of a good broker?
Loss of licence is provided by my employer, critical illness cover was purchased a lot of years ago when we were applying for our mortgage, not purchased from the building society but separately from another provider.

However the short answer to your question is no.

Mickey Kaye
10th Dec 2018, 07:49
Council Van although what you say is totally true your wasting your breath the kids never listen

I lost my medical aged 23 when I was 2 months into my first job. I was so lucky that I had paid for my training as I had gone along as I had no debt. I tell every wannabe that crosses my path not to borrow a 100 grand but they all still do it.

Also a CPL is of absolutely of no use down at the job centre. I couldn't even get a job as a fork lift truck driver.

​​​​​I did eventually get my medical back but it was 14 years later only to lose it again when I was struck with another totally random illness that a young person should never get.

Good luck with your treatment blood cancers are very much beatable. Trust me.

Council Van
10th Dec 2018, 13:46
Council Van although what you say is totally true your wasting your breath the kids never listen

I lost my medical aged 23 when I was 2 months into my first job. I was so lucky that I had paid for my training as I had gone along as I had no debt. I tell every wannabe that crosses my path not to borrow a 100 grand but they all still do it.

Also a CPL is of absolutely of down at the job centre. I coukdcou even get a job as a fork lift truck driver.

​​​​​I did eventually get my medical back but it was 14 years later only to lose it again when I was struck with another totally random illness that a young person should never get.

Good luck with your treatment blood cancers are very much beatable. Trust me.
Gosh, that is awful, and I thought I had been having a bad time of it.

6 weeks post Bone Marrow transplant now so on the slow road to recovery.

This year another pilot who is a good friend of mine has had cancer and a lad I was at school with who was a pilot also had a very seriouse career ending cancer a few years ago but as you say the kids will not listen.

paco
10th Dec 2018, 16:38
Good wishes to you

OlsAconye
11th Dec 2018, 14:09
Where is a good place to get that kind of insurance?

Council Van
11th Dec 2018, 17:08
Where is a good place to get that kind of insurance?
Google, perhaps the pilots Union in Norway might be able to point you in the right direction of loss of licence insurance brokers. The British Airline Pilots Association magazine in the UK often has adverts for this type of product.

Critical illness can be purchased through many insurance providers.

Please remember that loss of licence (medical) insurance must specify that they will pay out if you are NOT FIT TO WORK AS A COMMERCIAL PILOT, if your medical is suspended.

KayPam
12th Dec 2018, 16:31
I wonder how many of you read this and then and went and buried your head in the sand thinking "it will never happened to me"?
My fellow French and I are all insured at the APPN.
It's a French organization that is open to everyone. It provides very attractive rates for student pilots, then when you find a job you just tell them and they upgrade your coverage.

17€/month and you get 155k€ in case of death or illness : enough to reimburse totally your training.

Scuderia46
12th Dec 2018, 23:40
My fellow French and I are all insured at the APPN.
It's a French organization that is open to everyone. It provides very attractive rates for student pilots, then when you find a job you just tell them and they upgrade your coverage.

17€/month and you get 155k€ in case of death or illness : enough to reimburse totally your training.

I'm also with APPN ( based in Italy for a non France airline ) and they indeed only insure pilots for very good rates. I would recommend them!