PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Cook share price

Sick
3rd Dec 2018, 11:26
Under the stewardship of its abysmal new CEO, Thomas Cook's value has been trashed down from about £3bn to £450m in just 6 months, back near the level where it nearly went bust in 2012, but this time without Harriet Green and David Cameron to come to the rescue. The airline side did quite well, so it's sad that it was undone by lousy corporate strategies like the co-op stores, and a general failure to bring the sales interface into the 21st century (the feeble excuse, blaming warm weather convinced nobody, most especially not in the city).

Anyway, an opportunistic takeover looks likely. Could be the Chinese fund who already hold 10% and have professed an interest in taking more, or could be another airline. Any thoughts what that could mean for the crews?
​​​

Maxfli
3rd Dec 2018, 12:50
16.05.18 the share price stood @ £146.10p
This morning it had dropped to £23.76 representing an 83.7% peak to trough drop.

In October 2000 £ stood @ €1.6994
In January 2007 £ stood @ €1.5079
In November 2015 £ stood @ €1.4168
Currently the £ is valued a@ €1.12 and dropping
December 11th will see it drop below €1.10 and it is projected to reach parity with the € shortly after March 29th

Any UK business whose major costs lie outside the £ area / zone face severe challenges ahead.

Asturias56
3rd Dec 2018, 13:33
Two profit warnings - that's a definite "take to the Boats" indication on the LSE

TBH who uses a high street travel agent anymore? And the airline is like all the others - dependent on the oil price

Capt Scribble
3rd Dec 2018, 13:37
There is a saying to “look before you leap”. I’m not sure ‘The Big Leap’ strategy implemented a year or so ago actually did that.

Sick
3rd Dec 2018, 13:41
TUI manage ok in the highstreet - there seems to be problem specific to Thomas Cook and its management. The logical thing would be for TUI to take over TC, but i don't think that would be allowed.

Certainly a smorgasbord of choice at the moment, for anyone who wants to buy an airline at a knock down price! Hope it works out ok for the crews in the end.

dirk85
3rd Dec 2018, 13:53
Rising oil prices, BREXIT, an old fleet in desperate need of renewal, a big financial crisis supposedly about to happen, business barely profitable in a time when everybody is making huge money... The situation indeed is everything but great for Thomas Cook UK.
Plus easyJet seems to want to enter the holiday market more aggressively with the new CEO (ex TUI). Interesting times ahead.
I would for sure at least start looking at my options if I was a pilot there, even though I for sure hope that everything will turn for the best for them. Seems like a very decent place to work.

Skyjob
3rd Dec 2018, 15:26
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/681x390/cocks_club_19770d20bfcaf9947b860bb85a5a2b4de57037a1.png

And a big mess up on the new paint scheme doesn't help

fantom
3rd Dec 2018, 15:47
16.05.18 the share price stood @ £146.10p
This morning it had dropped to £23.76 representing an 83.7% peak to trough drop.

Where on earth do you get those numbers? Out by a factor of about 700.

Sick
3rd Dec 2018, 16:21
100 - he meant pence, not pounds.

SFCC
3rd Dec 2018, 17:20
Skyjob
There is only one aeroplane in that scheme, so not such a disaster, really.
I thought it quite amusing!

cobol
3rd Dec 2018, 18:54
Yes. I wondered if the logo on the side referred to the board

Skyjob
3rd Dec 2018, 19:59
Skyjob
There is only one aeroplane in that scheme, so not such a disaster, really.
I thought it quite amusing!
Seeing the aircraft regularly at our base, very amusing indeed, especially when doors either side are open.
Note: port side is equally bad.
Great paint artist! :)

ShotOne
4th Dec 2018, 08:30
Dirk, most of those factors aren’t specific to aTCX. And before we big up TUI too much, it’s not so long since they were letting go a whole bunch of pilots. Like the colour scheme though

CroqueMonsieur
4th Dec 2018, 08:33
Do TCX even use 2R? I'm not familiar of any operator in Europe who regularly use 2L or 2R except for an emergency or maintenance work. Given that it appears to be only when 2R is openness that the offending phrase appears then it is a non issue in the grand scheme of things.

SFCC
4th Dec 2018, 08:48
Do TCX even use 2R? I'm not familiar of any operator in Europe who regularly use 2L or 2R except for an emergency or maintenance work. Given that it appears to be only when 2R is openness that the offending phrase appears then it is a non issue in the grand scheme of things.

No...they don't.

Stone Cold II
4th Dec 2018, 10:37
Having this year booked my first holiday with a tour operator for a very long time, I was uninspired with Thomas Cook. Compared to TUI, it’s brochures were boring, with pictures of empty hotels, just very very dull. TUI was all action packed pictures of things the family could do and just looked more fun which is why they ended up with my cash.

I hope they turn things around, can’t blame a few weeks of hot weather, most people book their package holiday in the sales after the New Year, long before the weather was nice and can’t blame Brexit either, as TUI didn’t have the issues.

I wish management teams could just be honest and blame themselves for mismanagement, rather than blame whatever is happening in the news on their problems when the same issues isn’t affecting their competition.

Daily Dalaman Dave
4th Dec 2018, 12:48
Seeing the aircraft regularly at our base, very amusing indeed, especially when doors either side are open.

So you often see the emergency doors open at your base do you? I suspect you may be confusing amusement with fantasy, but why let truth get in the way of a good anecdote!?

Maxfli
4th Dec 2018, 21:20
Where on earth do you get those numbers? Out by a factor of about 700.

Apologies if I upset you, it was a formatting issue. I was merely trying to denote that the stock was Sterling (£) not that the share price was 146 quid as noted by "Sick", thank you.
Today the market capitalisation of the company stood at a little over £348m for the entire 1,535 million shares in issue.

But here's the best bit..........

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/810x657/screenshot_2018_12_04_at_22_15_44_07f351311af681b31e05d412d7 b77166c5b17a32.png

NormanDLandings
4th Dec 2018, 22:49
Which those doors never are, what with it being a 321. The only way you would see those doors open are in the hangar.

El Grifo
5th Dec 2018, 12:48
Interesting point regarding the boring brochures stone cold 11.
It resonates !
Few years back when TC had whittled down their pool of Professional Freelance Travel Photogs to myself and an equally seasoned colleague in Barcelona, they asked us if they could send brochure production staff out on shoots with us, in order them to have a clearer understanding of how overseas shoots hung together.
We of course smelled a rat !
Over a period of time, the people they sent out started bringing low-level SLR's with them and snapping the odd shot over our respective shoulders.
Some time after, a TC insider informed us that the company had invested thousands in the latest all singing, all dancing photo-kit.
It was only a matter of time before the work dried up completely and the work was all being done in- house, by the very production staff that had been shadowing us for months.
Perhaps that is where the rot set in.
Sending kids in to do grown-up's work :-)

Still at it albeit. Loads of other clients out there !

El Grifo

5th Dec 2018, 13:09
Has the share price dropped partly as a result of

https://www.pprune.org/passengers-slf-self-loading-freight/614030-thomas-cook-rules-out-compensation-no-deal-brexit-disruption.html

I certainly would not part money with a company that takes this attitude.

dirk85
5th Dec 2018, 15:34
TCXUK is doing well.
its the tour operator who have debts.

Well, one is function of the other, as a standalone company TCX does not have legs to stand on, so in this context TCG=TCX.

PA28161
6th Dec 2018, 09:19
Well, one is function of the other, as a standalone company TCX does not have legs to stand on, so in this context TCG=TCX.
The point is TCX are profitable (at the moment) TCG are struggling (to put it mildly). I don't think he inferred TCX could make it as a stand alone business. It is however well positioned , at a cheap price, in a buyers market, c.f FlyBe

Mr Angry from Purley
7th Dec 2018, 07:24
The point is TCX are profitable (at the moment) TCG are struggling (to put it mildly). I don't think he inferred TCX could make it as a stand alone business. It is however well positioned , at a cheap price, in a buyers market, c.f FlyBe

Left Hand feeds the Right Hand!

fantom
7th Dec 2018, 08:38
...and dropping out of the 250 at this month's quarterly review.

Satoshi Nakamoto
31st Jul 2019, 20:53
27 million shares bought off market. 2% of the stock. RNS in the morning?

mini
31st Jul 2019, 21:15
You would expect so.

Somebody making a move obviously.

Satoshi Nakamoto
31st Jul 2019, 21:27
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2019/07/31/market-reportthomas-cook-hits-40pc-high-turkish-operator-builds/

Satoshi Nakamoto
7th Aug 2019, 20:37
https://www.ttgmedia.com/news/news/russian-investor-takes-stake-in-thomas-cook-18965

Chinese, Russians and Turks all making bids. Getting very interesting.

Satoshi Nakamoto
27th Sep 2019, 19:15
Let's hope for a thorough investigation into the events leading up to the demise of Thomas Cook group PLC.

Lake1952
27th Sep 2019, 23:23
Let's hope for are thorough investigation into the events leading up to the demise of Thomas Cook group PLC.
By who? And to what end? There is little probability of any remaining equity to be divided among the stakeholders.

wiggy
28th Sep 2019, 06:50
By who? And to what end? There is little probability of any remaining equity to be divided among the stakeholders.

Interesting you used the term stakeholder (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stakeholder_(corporate)) - in the UK that term seems to have slowly fallen out of favour, or it's true meaning has been conveniently forgotten. For many stakeholders it's not just about the equity..

IMHO in the UK at least there is far too much institutional "forgiveness" displayed towards the CEOs, CFOs, Board members and often the auditors of some failed companies.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/sep/26/mps-announce-inquiry-thomas-cook-collapse