PDA

View Full Version : Awarding of Imperial Medals

megan
3rd Dec 2018, 05:13
Just a query on the process. Who makes the ultimate decision on the yes/no of an award, and what is Her Majesty's involvement, if any?

Tankertrashnav
3rd Dec 2018, 10:12
When you say "Imperial Medals" I assume you are referring to the various orders, such as the Order of the British Empire, Order of the Bath etc, and not campaign or gallantry medals. In most instances recommendations for these awarded are forward to a government committee for approval, or otherwise. These recommendations are forwarded to the monarch for approval but I think in most cases this can best be described as a "rubber stamp" job. There are exceptions. Appointments to the Order of the Garter (and its Scottish equivalent the Order of the Thistle) and the Order of Merit are made by the monarch personally, without reference to the Prime Minister, as are appointments to the Royal Victorian Order which is for personal services to the monarch.

Pontius Navigator
3rd Dec 2018, 16:06
TTN, I read it as Commonwealth.

AARON O'DICKYDIDO
3rd Dec 2018, 18:24
Or Imperial Service Medal?

Aaron.

Tankertrashnav
3rd Dec 2018, 23:02
Well perhaps megan might elucidate. I doubt if he meant the ISM which is in effect an LS&GC for various grades of civil servants, eg postal workers etc. Doubt if HM has any input into the award of those

megan
3rd Dec 2018, 23:19
Sorry guys, I meant such as VC, AFC, DFC etc

ian16th
4th Dec 2018, 08:51
Sorry guys, I meant such as VC, AFC, DFC etc

It is all explained here. (https://web.archive.org/web/20150205041741/https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/396186/JSP761_honours_awards.pdf)

Tankertrashnav
4th Dec 2018, 23:27
Had a read through and its pretty much as I said above - basically HM accepts the recommendations and automatically approves any awards, except those mentioned, which are in her personal gift. Worth mentioning though that it was King Edward VII who decreed that no man should ever forfeit the Victoria Cross "even if he is standing on the gallows". Prior to that there had been a few cases of VCs being forfeited, including one in the case of a man who had been convicted of bigamy!

megan
4th Dec 2018, 23:37
Many thanks ian. :ok:

Old-Duffer
5th Dec 2018, 06:29
The saga of medals various gets a regular exposure in these columns, only beaten by the tirades about them in SOLDIER magazine.

I was naturally disappointed when the LS&GCM was extended to officers in about 2015, having put in 30+ years but - hey - they don't pay the mortgage and unless you can wangle a fairly tolerable VC or GC, there's no gratuity to help buy the celebratory drinks! I consoled myself that I had acquired a Cadet Forces Medal, which is significantly less common than an officer's LS&GCM, so I'm happy and well into my 70s and en route to a first clasp.

The story I like about medals is that told by Group Captain Hamish MaHaddie in his autobiography. He recounts that he attended an investiture by the King in about 1943, when he was presented with a DSO, DFC and another foreign 'gong' - this at a time when not too many campaign medals were about. He and his chums were taking light refreshment afterwards, when a lady asked him what his medals were and he responded: "Madam, I've not any idea, they were on the uniform when I bought it".

Old Duffer

Tankertrashnav
5th Dec 2018, 10:48
unless you can wangle a fairly tolerable VC or GC, there's no gratuity to help buy the celebratory drinks! ...

I once met Jack Bamford, the youngest ever holder of the George Cross (14 at the time he won it in 1952). At the time of our meeting (late 70s) the annual gratuity for both VC and GC was £50, and he told me he used to spend his on the biannual do which was held for holders of both decorations in London. It was John Major who had the gratuity raised to something a little more useful (£1500 I think). I see from the link that Bamford was still attending these occasions in 2015. The annuity has now gone up to £10,000 (tax free), which would certainly help with the mortgage.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jul/07/george-osborne-to-raise-victoria-cross-and-george-cross-payments-to-10000

Old-Duffer
5th Dec 2018, 15:01
I did not know of the info TTN has put in the post above. It's well deserved but what happens in the case of a postumous award?

O-D

Tankertrashnav
5th Dec 2018, 22:42
Old Duffer I've read up as much as I can on this subject, including the original Royal Warrant and subsequent amendments. As far as I can make out, in the case of posthumous awards a sum equivalent to one year's annuity (fifty pounds at the time of the amendment) was to be awarded to the estate of the deceased. Presumably that would now be £10,000, but a one-off payment, not for the lifetime of the next of kin