PDA

View Full Version : EASA ATPL theory

gika737
2nd Dec 2018, 15:41
Hey everyone!

I am the FAA and ICAO CPL IR w/ ME IR holder. I’ve been thinkin’ to start ATPL theory course in EU, but have a couple of questions. In my case, I have around 210 flight hours and I will be employed here in Georgia.

The game plan is to fly 1500 hours and get the ICAO ATPL (this will take about 2-3 years) and then convert ICAO ATPL into EASA ATPL (since it’s easier to convert ATPL than CPL). So, does the ATPL theory course have expiration date?

Is there any time limit to get full ATPL after passing ATPL theory? And second question is: I’ve seen folks recommending padpilot ebooks, preparing for ATPL theory independently, without enrolling into the courses and stuff which sounds like a pretty good idea.

So, what sources and study materials would you guys recommend? And do those books contain information which I actually will be asked on the exams? (I know that I have to contact the ATO in order to pass exams, but just talking about making one step further and kinda preparing myself for exam, do you think it’s reasonable)?

Appreciates in advance!

RomanK
2nd Dec 2018, 16:13
Gamarjoba,

Read FCL.025 here: https://www.easa.europa.eu/sites/default/files/dfu/Part-FCL.pdf
ATPL courses should last not more than 18 months (subject to discuss with ATO), then you have ATO's recommendation to start your exams within 12 months. All exams to be done within 18 months then FCL.025 (c) states
(c)Validity period(1) The successful completion of the theoretical knowledge examinations will be valid:(ii) for the issue of a commercial pilot licence, instrument rating (IR) or en routeinstrument rating (EIR), for a period of 36months;(iii) the periods in (i) and (ii) shall be counted from the day when the pilotsuccessfully completes the theoretical knowledge examination, in accordance with(b)(2).(2) The completion of the airline transport pilot licence (ATPL) theoretical knowledgeexaminations will remain valid for the issue of an ATPL for a period of 7 years from the lastvalidity date of:(i) an IR entered in the licence

No idea about ebooks but an ATO is mandatory with 10% of time of classroom (minimum 2 weeks on site).

paco
3rd Dec 2018, 07:20
"ATPL courses should last not more than 18 months"

That would appear to be only the case for the ATPL(H) VFR. Notice the difference between paras 1 & 2... There's no similar phrase for aeroplanes as far as I can see... (remember that the AMC is not law, just recommendations)

H. ATP modular course — Helicopters1.
Applicants for an ATPL(H) who complete their theoretical knowledge instruction at a modular course shall hold at least a PPL(H) and complete at least the following hours of instruction within a period of 18 months:(a)
for applicants holding a PPL(H) issued in accordance with Annex 1 to the Chicago Convention: 550 hours;
(b)
for applicants holding a CPL(H): 300 hours.
2 .Applicants for an ATPL(H)/IR who complete their theoretical knowledge instruction at a modular course shall hold at least a PPL(H) and complete at least the following hours of instruction:(a)
for applicants holding a PPL(H): 650 hours;
(b)
for applicants holding a CPL(H): 400 hours;
(c)
for applicants holding an IR(H): 500 hours;
(d)
for applicants holding a CPL(H) and an IR(H): 250 hours.

gika737
3rd Dec 2018, 07:30
The completion of the airline transport pilot license (ATPL) theoretical knowledge examinations will remain valid for the issue of an ATPL for a period of 7 years from the last validity date of

i) an IR entered in the license

I have IR only in FAA and ICAO licensees, does that count? Or the fore-said regulation states for IR being entered in EASA license only?