PDA

View Full Version : "Wet" Dreams are made of this ..

SMT Member
1st Dec 2018, 16:52
Ever come across one, or perhaps even been one, who said 'bloody criminal foreigners, should be put on a deserted island until we can send them home'?

Well, 19 years ago a danish politician uttered an expression along those lines, and was promptly broadsided from both sides of the political spectrum. Fast forward to yesterday, and the ruling coalition in Denmark has included just such a provision in their 2019/20 budget.

Alas, henceforth foreigners with the following credentials

Convicted of serious crime (violence, drug trade, robbery, rape), having served sentence but unable* to be sent home
On 'tolerated resident'** status
Have been denied asylum but refuse to leave
Convicted of fighting for a foreign power (e.g. 'Syria warrior')
* If the deportee risks torture and/or the death penalty in their home country, they cannot be expelled according to the EU HRC
** People wanted in their home countries, but who fall under the provisions mentioned above. Handy if you've got a dark past in e.g. Rwanda or Iraq, and they want to settle the score.

Shall be deported to the island of Lindholm, where they shall reside until such time they can be deported.

http://i68.tinypic.com/24doar8.png

http://i65.tinypic.com/e6axrs.png

http://i66.tinypic.com/334lsoy.png

http://i65.tinypic.com/288p107.png

As an added 'bonus', the island has been off limits for the past 90-odd years. Was used as a place to test various nasty livestock diseases, originally foot & mouth. The last disease they studied before closing down was swine-flu.

ShyTorque
1st Dec 2018, 16:57
Lindholm? There's already a prison named Lindholme - possibly some strange diseases there, too - it's near Doncaster.

pr00ne
1st Dec 2018, 17:28
In fact near the isle of Axholm

Linedog
1st Dec 2018, 17:54
Lindholm? There's already a prison named Lindholme - possibly some strange diseases there, too - it's near Doncaster.

We had Dominies operating out of Lindholm during Finningleys BoB weekend. A week spent in preparation sweeping hangar floors and runways. Happy times.

Pontius Navigator
1st Dec 2018, 17:56
Read a novel where the main premise was that convicted murderers, after failed appeals, would be dropped off at a deserted island in the Bristol Channel. No contact with the outside world, patrol boats, a weekly helo drop of really very little.

Interesting concept.

oxenos
1st Dec 2018, 18:33
a weekly helo drop of really very little.

And a little less each week.

Gertrude the Wombat
1st Dec 2018, 19:28
As an added 'bonus', the island has been off limits for the past 90-odd years. Was used as a place to test various nasty livestock diseases, originally foot & mouth.
Yeah yeah, the foot-and-mouth story is also applied to at least two sites in Cambridge, except our version is anthrax rather than foot-and-mouth - the local rag dredges up the story every decade or so for new readers. Doesn't stop people living and working on those bits of land (unless you believe the official versions that the land is only used for car parks).

A pervasive urban legend, I imagine.

G-CPTN
1st Dec 2018, 19:57
There is an island off the west coast of Scotland (Gruinard?) that was used for anthrax 'research (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gruinard_Island#Biological_warfare_testing)' (as a weapon, I believe).

West Coast
1st Dec 2018, 21:18
Aren't the Aussies doing this currently?

Ogre
1st Dec 2018, 21:25
There is an island off the west coast of Scotland (Gruinard?) that was used for anthrax 'research (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gruinard_Island#Biological_warfare_testing)' (as a weapon, I believe).

And "allegedly" is now clear of the spores. I say "allegedly" because after the decontamination I believe it was admitted that the spores could survive a very long time underground.

Mechta
2nd Dec 2018, 10:05
Gerald Durrell's autobigraphical 'My Family and Other Animals' ,about growing up in pre-war Corfu, was one of our O level books at School. One memorable part was when he met Kosti, a convict banished to a small island to serve out his sentence (He was allowed a rowing boat to go and get supplies once a week).
Kosti had murdered his wife, however, under Greek law at the time, a husband only got three years for murdering a nagging wife, on the basis that she probably deserved it!

chevvron
2nd Dec 2018, 10:25
Bu99er you beat me to it.

chevvron
2nd Dec 2018, 10:31
Dunno about diseases but there used to be a huge radar head there; 2,500 watts of microwave radiation bathing the countryside 24/7. I was detached there for a while in '73 and you could see traffic climbing out of Amsterdam when it was above about 10,000ft it was so powerful.

treadigraph
2nd Dec 2018, 10:58
I stayed at a cottage at Gruinard Bay a couple of times in '86 and '87.

The first time I had a bash at wind surfing; I managed to get the sail up and was cracking along, heading straight for Gruinard Island and certain bloody death. I then realised I had no idea how to turn the bloody thing round and head back to shore. Eventually made it back safely...

The second time was just after they'd cleaned the island up, there were still barrels of formaldehyde stored on the shoreline at Mungasdale. Needless to say, none of us fancied a trip out there.

I heard recently that the island is for sale for 45,000.

krismiler
2nd Dec 2018, 16:58

The Aussies are sending illegal immigrants arriving by boat to Manus island in Papua New Guinea and Naru until a third country agrees to accept them, they are banned from settling in Australia. Unfortunately the Lebanese pack rapists, Sudanese street gangs and Islamic terrorists already in Australia are allowed to remain on the mainland, though there have been a few deportations back to country of origin in serious high profile cases

WingNut60
2nd Dec 2018, 22:18
Australia has been using Christmas Island (south of Java) as a safe staging point to inter serious offenders prior to deportation.
I believe that this has been or will be phased out - mainly based on cost.

Two obvious advantages of doing this is that it tends to distance the detainees from their nefarious friends and also from their lawyers.

westernhero
3rd Dec 2018, 00:15
One of the smaller Falkland Islands would be an excellent place to build somewhere to keep our " undesirables " . Friends, family, lawyers, thousands of miles away. Chance of escape ( where to ? ) zero. Let them try and find followers among the Sea Lions.

WingNut60
3rd Dec 2018, 00:47

The British have a couple of centuries experience doing this.
Also the French, Dutch, et al.

TowerDog
3rd Dec 2018, 02:27
Great idea, send ‘em to the island.
Hoping my country will do the same, we have just the right rock

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouvet_Island

SID PLATE
3rd Dec 2018, 16:53
The British have a couple of centuries experience doing this.
Also the French, Dutch, et al.

Yeah we still do .. it's called HMP Parkhurst, Isle of Wight.

pr00ne
3rd Dec 2018, 17:25
OR, we could just keep putting the rather small proportion of our population that commit crime away in our prisons ,as we have always done, and ignore the sadists on here...

WingNut60
3rd Dec 2018, 23:50
OR, we could just keep putting the rather small proportion of our population that commit crime away in our prisons ,as we have always done, and ignore the sadists on here...

No sadism involved in the Christmas Island approach.
It just removes miscreants from ready contact with their cohorts.
Jail standards on Christmas Island are similar to any other LOW SECURITY prison in Australia.
HIGH SECURITY is provided by remoteness.

SMT Member
4th Dec 2018, 13:38

Think you've misunderstood the issue somewhat. These are criminals who have served their time in jail and have been expelled from the country as part of their sentence. But they are either unwilling to leave, or hail from a place where they might risk further punishment, or are classified as 'stateless'. International law prohibit deportation of there's a risk of further punishment, and someone who's forced onto a flight and make a fuss on arrival will likely be returned by the receiving authorities. Lastly, there's the nasties who managed to wring asylum but who were subsequently wanted by their home countries for crimes various, usually those against humanity. But since they risk torture if they're sent back, international conventions prohibit that as well.

Let's be clear, all of these individuals have the option of leaving when they've served their time. If they don't, it's off to the deserted island thereby depriving them of the oppertunity to continue committing crimes. Which has been the case so far.