PDA

View Full Version : Death of President H W Bush

racedo
1st Dec 2018, 11:55
Death has taken place of former President H W Bush was was President between 1989 and 1993.

Former naval aviator (Sorry aviation content) who was shot down in WW2, he became an oil man who was believed to have lent his support to infamous Bay of Pigs Invasion. He later became Ambassador to China and Head of CIA before running in 1980 against Ronald Reagan to be GOP candidiate against President Carter. He was offered the VP shot instead. He was "famous" for coining the phrase "Voodoo Economics" during the campaign to describe Reagan economic policies.

In 1988 he got his shot at the big job and won easily against Michael Dukakis of MA.

In his term the Berlin wall fell and a sea change to Europe occurred as USSR imploded. Also on Aug 1st 1990 Irag invaded Kuwait which resulted in GW1.

Despite being a war winning President he lost reelection, oft quoted and confronted by the slogan "Its the Economy, stupid". Warning everybody that US politics is about US success not what occurs outside borders.

Post presidency he tended to stay out of Politics, something later Presidents would be best following.

DaveReidUK
1st Dec 2018, 12:27
A timely reminder that one can combine being a decent, honourable man with being POTUS.

Stan Woolley
1st Dec 2018, 12:38
A timely reminder that one can combine being a decent, honourable man with being POTUS.

Hmmm

If the American people ever found out what we Bushes had done, they would chase us down the street and lynch us." George H.W. Bush June 1992

troppo
1st Dec 2018, 13:19
RIP Sir; your name and legacy will be remembered,

ShyTorque
1st Dec 2018, 13:30
RIP, George Bush senior. One of only three presidents of the USA in office in my lifetime that I remember with great respect.

(The first was unfortunately shot and the last was unfortunate enough to have been considered by some to have been born inside the wrong colour skin - but certainly not in my book).

VH-MLE
1st Dec 2018, 14:30
IMHO probably his biggest blunder was not drowning his son - George W "YA" at birth...

Bee Rexit
1st Dec 2018, 17:55
Also on Aug 1st 1991 Irag invaded Kuwait which resulted in GW1.

For accuracy - 2nd Aug 1990.

Turbine D
1st Dec 2018, 18:58
racedo,
Despite being a war winning President he lost reelection, oft quoted and confronted by the slogan "Its the Economy, stupid".
After receiving the presidential nomination at the Republican convention, Bush coined the slogan "Read my lips, no new taxes" during his acceptance speech. Once President, that phrase became difficult to achieve. There was a law on the books that limited deficit spending by either reducing spending or increasing taxes. A recession occurred and incoming revenues went down. Since Congress was controlled by the Democrats, a compromise on spending cuts couldn't be achieved. So the only alternative was to raise certain taxes that HWB and Congress finally hashed out. That didn't go over well with the public and some in the Republican Party such as Newt Gingrich who was outraged at the compromise. The slogan became, "Read my lips: I lied." The result was the public remembered and HW didn't get a second term as you pointed out.

George HW Bush was an honorable POTUS in many respects, a skilled politician with a very good experienced background in Washington DC. His wife Barbara was a strong First Lady, not afraid to speak her mind. Together they made a good White House team...

scr1
1st Dec 2018, 19:02
May his memory be a blessing

Turbine D
1st Dec 2018, 20:02
Stan Wooley,
Hmmm
If the American people ever found out what we Bushes had done, they would chase us down the street and lynch us." George H.W. Bush June 1992

That is a famous 1992 quote by George HW Bush to Sarah McLendon, a Texas journalist who Bush had known for years and was the grand dame of the White House press corps at the time. McLendon had asked the question “What will the people do if they ever find out the truth about Iraq-gate and Iran contra?”

I suspect HW’s response was tongue-in-cheek to an old acquaintance and probably drew a few laughs from the rest of the press corps. There was far more humor in POTUS responses to press corps questions at briefings than today where there is no humor to speak of.

Iraq-gate was an allegation made where agriculture loans were given to Iraq by the Reagan administration that HW Bush was part of at the time but the allegation was never proven.

The Iran contra affair was different as military arms were provided to Iran on the basis of supposed freeing 7 American hostages that were being held in Lebanon. There was a law preventing sale of arms to Iran and the arms began being provided well before the Americans were taken hostage. HW Bush upon becoming POTUS pardoned six Reagan administration officials that had been convicted of various crimes related to this affair and another that hadn’t yet gone to trial at the pardoning time.

SpringHeeledJack
1st Dec 2018, 21:59
"Read my lips......No New Taxes....."

tdracer
1st Dec 2018, 22:29
George HW Bush was an honorable POTUS in many respects, a skilled politician with a very good experienced background in Washington DC. His wife Barbara was a strong First Lady, not afraid to speak her mind. Together they made a good White House team...

Yep - I hold Bush senior in higher esteem than any POTUS since. Also the last POTUS to have actual combat experience - not saying it should be a prerequisite, but it certainly gives the Commander in chief a better perspective of what going to war really means.

Pinky the pilot
2nd Dec 2018, 01:33
President GHW Bush. One of the last, if not the last President who actually served his Country by putting himself in situations where some People were actually trying to kill him!https://www.pprune.org/images/smilies/eek.gif

Being shot down in the process, and baling out of a stricken aircraft.

My now late Father (39814 Baum; Ronald Wilhelm. WO1 RAAF 461 Sqn 1944/45) once said to me that far few Politicians had actually served in harms way, and that 'nothing actually focuses the mind like being shot at by someone who is trying to kill you...."

From the Son of an Aussie Veteran; Rest easy Sir.

Nomad2
2nd Dec 2018, 04:25
A decent man, and an example to many.

His lieing, evil, warmongering son was also an example.

cattletruck
2nd Dec 2018, 08:02
Bush Snr would regularly holiday around my holidaying neck of the woods and often mingle amongst the locals. Unfortunately I never met him when we were both there but I certainly noticed his agents scouting the place standing out like a dog's proverbials. People that I know who had met him a number of times speak highly of him and I have to agree with them.

Kerosene Kraut
2nd Dec 2018, 10:45
He was a good president and looking back the last one who had some deeper understanding of international relations. We need more foreign policy experts, diplomats and historians.
The daily political business on many sides today seems to be fought out like a rodeo.

KelvinD
2nd Dec 2018, 11:08
Talking of being honourable; Bush revealed recently that he had such a low opinion of Trump that he voted for Clinton in 2016. When asked why, he said it was because he always put country above party.

Discorde
2nd Dec 2018, 11:35
His lieing, evil, warmongering son was also an example.

There are many people who consider that Dubya was a rather simple soul who was manipulated by cleverer men - Dick Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld among them - into launching the disastrous Middle East adventure.

pax britanica
2nd Dec 2018, 12:00
A man we all owe a debt to. He was Prez at a time of enormous and complex international change and strife and a few false steps could have been disastrous for all mankind .He had the experience , skills and integrity to pilot the West through those changes no doubt against many entreaties, not always in his home country, to kick the Russians while they were down. A man who put country and the world ahead of the USA when that needed to be done and I agree with many of the postings here he is one of very few Presidents held in great esteem by many around the world.
Bailing out of a burning stricken bulky great lump like an Avenger over the wastes of the Pacific no doubt did shape his mindset about being Commander in Chief too.
No politician is a pure as snow of course but he was an understated and underrated man in his homeland he stood in stark contrasts to so many politicians today. RIP

flash8
3rd Dec 2018, 13:57
Those were the old days when World leaders had stature, whether Ronnie, Maggie (whatever you may think of her) and Bush Snr... they had gravitas unlike what we see today, They reflect the old days, ones I was on the tail-end of, but fully appreciate as being times we have lost, better times.

Dont Hang Up
3rd Dec 2018, 15:09
On ousting Saddam from Kuwait he promptly stopped the first Gulf War.
When questioned on why he did not pursue the war to the inevitable overthrow of Saddam's regime he said: "And replace it with what?"

It is a great shame that his son did not recognise the wisdom in that, and simply looked upon it as a score unsettled.

RatherBeFlying
3rd Dec 2018, 18:05
Iraqi Shi'as do not remember him fondly after he exhorted them on TV to topple Saddam, then passively stood by while Saddam's helicopters machine gunned people in the streets.

Yes, the truce allowed Saddam to use aircraft internally. Eventually a no fly zone was imposed over the Kurds, but not the Shi'a areas.

T28B
3rd Dec 2018, 18:11
Iraqi Shi'as do not remember him fondly after he exhorted them on TV to topple Saddam, then passively stood by while Saddam's helicopters machine gunned people in the streets.

Yes, the truce allowed Saddam to use aircraft internally. Eventually a no fly zone was imposed over the Kurds, but not the Shi'a areas.
Your post got my interest.
(not as a mod)
Looks like it took a year to formally establish a No Fly Zone. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Southern_Watch)