PDA

View Full Version : Jet Blast Rules of Engagement

Tankertrashnav
29th Nov 2018, 23:43
The recent thread about Danny (PPRuNe founder, not the late much lamented Danny 42C) set in mind a train of thought about the old Jet Blast ROE which used to appear as a sticky at the top of this page. I found them with a quick Google search and I thought they might be of interest. The original Danny gets a mention:

https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/144080-jet-blast-rules-engagement.html

One thing which has always confused me is when people post remarks such as "apologies for aviation content" when in fact the ROE make it clear that aviation should be at least loosely associated with threads. Perhaps I'm missing something, but it seems that people should be apologising for lack of aviation content, not the other way round. Most of the other rules seem to be routinely ignored, particularly in the area of personal abuse, more's the pity.

I may have dreamt it, but I'm sure that there was a rule discouraging threads on "popular culture" such as TV soaps, etc. That one seems to have gone completely by the board, or else we wouldn't have a thread running to over 40 replies on Bleedin' Strictly Come Bleedin' Dancing! :*

edited - I thought I had better look at the "Strictly" thread . Relieved to see that most of the content is about sailing. My faith in JB is restored!

UniFoxOs
30th Nov 2018, 08:07
I may have dreamt it, but I'm sure that there was a rule discouraging threads on "popular culture" such as TV soaps, etc.

Sure was, in fact ISTR it was ANY TV programme.. I remember having a small argument with a mod when I pointed out that the Eurovision Song Contest was a TV programme. The mod didn't seem to think so, despite the rather obvious clue in the name.

Pontius Navigator
30th Nov 2018, 08:11
'I am sailing
I am sailing . . .'

Make a good waltz

😊

flash8
30th Nov 2018, 12:01
'I am sailing
I am sailing . . .'Wasn't that the theme for the "Sailor" series on the BBC back in the mid 70's?

Ah yes! Not that my memory is that good, being six at the time... but I did view it a few years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsdBsiXtXaA&index=2&list=PLAiKyctehucnNtLw5pJ6gR2hJ7ociILs-&t=0s

Checkboard
30th Nov 2018, 12:05
"apologies for aviation content" was just a TRBATPSIT thing - the one thread which was NOT dedicated to aviation-related topics, so you apologised for mentioning aviation there.

Tankertrashnav
30th Nov 2018, 17:50
That makes sense. I rarely look at TRBATPSIT, but the "apologies for aviation content" is frequently mentioned on various other JB threads. Maybe PPRuNers will now realise there is no need to apologise.

Blimey flash8 I bet that "run ashore" scene wouldn't make the cut on a programme about todays' navy - the matelots would more likely be shown going round local museums! Oh, and what happened to Rod Stewart on the opening credits (or was he never on it?)

ShyTorque
30th Nov 2018, 18:01
Maybe PPRuNers will now realise there is no need to apologise.

I wish to apologise for not realising there is no need to apologise.

Mr Optimistic
30th Nov 2018, 18:25
I am sorry you feel that way.

G-CPTN
30th Nov 2018, 18:31
There was also a time when the mods punished prolific contributors (I received a lengthy ban which I was informed was due to prolific p*sting).
The mods seemed to think that contributors were obsessed with 'p*st counts' (which was not true) and (the mods) sought to remove totals and then established the principle that contributions to JetBlast did not contribute to totals.
Even mention of 'totals' (p*st counts) was punished with deletions and even exclusions (the usual was a loop which delayed log-in for many minutes to persuade contributors to 'go elsewhere').

Pontius Navigator
30th Nov 2018, 18:50
the usual was a loop which delayed log-in for many minutes to persuade contributors to 'go elsewhere'

Ah, like the hamsterwheel.

flash8
30th Nov 2018, 21:15
Blimey flash8 I bet that "run ashore" scene wouldn't make the cut on a programme about todays' navy - the matelots would more likely be shown going round local museums! Oh, and what happened to Rod Stewart on the opening credits (or was he never on it?)Indeed TTN.... when i first saw it my eyes popped out.... not only would it not make the cut... such ermmm "establishments" are probably few and far between nowadays. I note in the initial scene whilst the men are portrayed as sex-crazed Baldrick like... they then cut to the Officers who are presented as very serious and intelligent young men in a briefing... who'd never ever ever of course visit such establishments (or even know of the existence of such)!

ShyTorque
1st Dec 2018, 13:52
I am sorry you feel that way.

No, really no need! I wish I hadn't said anything...