PDA

View Full Version : Fridge freezer query

BehindBlueEyes
29th Nov 2018, 17:01
Just acquired one of these American fridge freezer jobbies. Mrs BBE is adamant that the thing needs to be left unplugged for 24 after delivery before switching on, “To allow the gases to settle.” Never heard of that before and Dr Google gives very mixed messages. The instruction booklet supplied by Samsung says 2 hours so her caution seems OTT. Anyone have any clues?

I just want want to get those beers cooling ASAP.

Captivep
29th Nov 2018, 17:06
I'de be inclined to believe the instruction booklet (and not just because the beers will be cooler earlier)! After all, it was written by the manufacturers.

CroqueMonsieur
29th Nov 2018, 17:06
Just acquired one of these American fridge freezer jobbies. Mrs BBE is adamant that the thing needs to be left unplugged for 24 after delivery before switching on, “To allow the gases to settle.” Never heard of that before and Dr Google gives very mixed messages. The instruction booklet supplied by Samsung says 2 hours so her caution seems OTT. Anyone have any clues?

I just want want to get those beers cooling ASAP.

Just listen to Mrs BBE. It's easier that way because if you do just do 'your thing' and follow the manual's two hour recommendation, Mrs BBE will come after you and blame you for not leaving it 24 hours like she said you should if it breaks. Waiting that extra 22 hours could make life a lot easier in future if it does end up breaking!

Jetstream67
29th Nov 2018, 17:15
AFAIK It is not 'Gases'... You are waiting for lubricating oil added into the cooling system gas to settle at the bottom (i.e. in the compressor) - where it should be to provide lubrication.

If it has been trucked around, violently shaken or tipped on its side then leaving it 24 Hours for the oil to trickle down is fail-safe.

At normal room temperatures and sedate upright transport 12 hours is probably safe too.

If it was delivered a week ago, kept upright and you just slid it from one side of the the kitchen to another then it should be fine immediately

racedo
29th Nov 2018, 17:53
<div style="text-align:left;">Just listen to Mrs BBE. It's easier that way because if you do just do 'your thing' and follow the manual's two hour recommendation, Mrs BBE will come after you and blame you for not leaving it 24 hours like she said you should if it breaks. Waiting that extra 22 hours could make life a lot easier in future if it does end up breaking!</div><br /><br />I am with you on that.................. forget about reality just STFU and do as told. Life just easier in the long run.

VP959
29th Nov 2018, 18:26
Ours says to leave it for two hours after transport to allow the oil to drain back down to the compressor. I suspect leaving it 24 hours is a bit OTT.

Lonewolf_50
29th Nov 2018, 18:56
Just acquired one of these American fridge freezer jobbies. Mrs BBE is adamant that the thing needs to be left unplugged for 24 after delivery before switching on, “To allow the gases to settle.” Never heard of that before and Dr Google gives very mixed messages. The instruction booklet supplied by Samsung says 2 hours so her caution seems OTT. Anyone have any clues? I just want want to get those beers cooling ASAP. Mrs Wolf and I were suddenly in the market for a fridge about six months ago due to ours just dying.
One of the "floor" model fridges at the local store could be had, for a good price, but I'd have had to get it to the house myself, which means lying it down in the back of the van. The tech told me "let it stand up for a day before you turn it on" in that case, so I suspect that the manual is correct In Case It Was Not Shipped Standing Up. We ended up getting a brand new one, which came on a big truck and had been in the truck, standing up, since the night before.
I recommend the abundance of caution, per CroqueMonsieur, and if you need to get a bag of ice for today's beers, in a small cooler, you'll be better off for both marital and technical reasons.
Grats on the new machine.

obgraham
29th Nov 2018, 19:05
Bigger issue: How long had you had the old one?

Divide that by 6 to estimate how long the new one will last.

hiflymk3
29th Nov 2018, 19:11

Do you mean wife or fridge?

flash8
29th Nov 2018, 19:13
I thought Fridges lasted for ever... and Cookers... and Washer/Dryers.... just shows you my lack of domestication. The only things I don't trust are Microwaves after one kind of emitted some lightning from its innards one day... was shocked and had to get Mrs Flash (aka The Ice Lady who shows no fear) to turn it off..... ever since then Microwaves have been banned from our house.

Gertrude the Wombat
29th Nov 2018, 19:17
I thought Fridges lasted for ever... and Cookers... and Washer/Dryers....
Sadly they don't.

The worst are toasters (we don't bother with one any more, they only last a few months) and steam irons (a year, or maybe two if you're lucky).

The one thing in this house that has never been replaced is the microwave.

Random SLF
29th Nov 2018, 19:24
The one thing in this house that has never been replaced is the microwave.
Noooooo! You've SAID it now!!

sitigeltfel
29th Nov 2018, 19:28
I thought Fridges lasted for ever... and Cookers... and Washer/Dryers.....

I was at a friends house the other day to accept in a new washer/dryer while he was away in the UK. The delivery guys from Darty unpacked it, removed the transit bolts, connected everything up and set it on a short programme to ensure it was working OK. After they had departed I searched for the manual but couldn't find it. Confirming my suspicions, there it was, going round and round on a 15 minute rinse cycle !

flash8
29th Nov 2018, 19:28
Noooooo! You've SAID it now!!
Random SLF may be quite correct.... after all two postings in six years.... and he felt the need to articulate this :ok:

Jackjones1
29th Nov 2018, 19:45
I feel that most appliances have an inbuilt self destruct button after a length of time eg Toaster, kettle,iron ...1 year, microwave 3 years, washing machine 5 years if your lucky ...... after all how else are the manufacturers going to make money, let’s face it it’s cheaper to get a new item than have it repaired!!

ian16th
29th Nov 2018, 20:05

I have one that is 26 years old and one that is coming up 6 years.

Edited to add toaster, kettle and washing m/c experience.

Modern toasters & kettles pack up and are replaced inside the warranty period if one is lucky.
If you are unlucky, they will last 13 months!

A good upright washing m/c, such as a Speed Queen will last about 20 years.
The front loaders popular in the UK are designed to go wrong.

flash8
29th Nov 2018, 20:09
Well In was raised with the early PC's and if something didn't work... reboot it... I carry this over to every appliance no matter how illogical it likely is. Case in point today tried to do some washing and after pressing the start button it just flashed and nothing happened.... so I kept powering down the washing machine and trying again... assuming a reboot would fix it.. turned out to be the washing load wasn't fully in the machine (I guess somehow it can work this out) - opened the door pushed all the washing in as far as it would go... closed door... and pressed button.. voila no flashing.. it worked.

Mind you I had put it through a few "reboots"/power cycles before I figured that out!

Jackjones1
29th Nov 2018, 20:14
I still think the term “ They don’t make them like they used too” is quite apt!

NRU74
29th Nov 2018, 20:22
Like BBE I also acquired one of those so called American jobbies last year.
I meticulously measured the width of the back door and the kitchen door and ascertained that there was approx a one cm clearance to get the thing in.
When it arrived I found I hadn’t taken into account that when the doors opened the open door hinge side protruded c one and a half cm into the orifice. To get the damn thing in I had to remove both doors ! Doh !

Pontius Navigator
29th Nov 2018, 20:22
Had to reboot my car more than my appliances.

We had an excellent appliance repair man and we would seek his advice on which machine to buy. He knew who really made the box regardless of the name on the front.

lomapaseo
29th Nov 2018, 20:37
I thought Fridges lasted for ever... and Cookers... and Washer/Dryers.... just shows you my lack of domestication. The only things I don't trust are Microwaves after one kind of emitted some lightning from its innards one day... was shocked and had to get Mrs Flash (aka The Ice Lady who shows no fear) to turn it off..... ever since then Microwaves have been banned from our house.

That's what happens when you take something out of the fridge and put it in the micro with the tin-foil still on it. Next time leave it in longer and see what goes first, the food, the tin-foil or the house-fuse

.Report back if you can

Blues&twos
29th Nov 2018, 21:14
I made the mistake of trying to soften some butter in the microwave a few weeks ago. Not thinking, I put the butter - in its metallised wrapper - on a plate and bunged it on max power. There was a brief, interesting electrical display and then the packet caught fire.

flash8
29th Nov 2018, 21:25
That's what happens when you take something out of the fridge and put it in the micro with the tin-foil still on it. Next time leave it in longer and see what goes first, the food, the tin-foil or the house-fuse

.Report back if you canDon't have a Microwave anymore LP... don't miss it either... in fact nutrition has improved since it was disposed of. Not sure if we had tin-foil in the Microwave... a possibility I guess... this was a few years back... not something I'd do deliberately as I had heard of that danger! I just really don't know... Microwaves have always spooked me a little, and so it didn't take much to tip me over the edge.

Ancient Mariner
29th Nov 2018, 21:29
In this time and age every instruction manual and spare part is available on the Internet.
Google "how to fix, name/model appliance", and chances are you'll find a video.
The drivebelt on our Whirlpool tumble dryer said goodbye. Ordered one from the UK, much cheaper than here in Norway, found a "how to video" and 5 hours later had it up and running.
Very satisfying.
Per

Gertrude the Wombat
29th Nov 2018, 21:34
Don't have a Microwave anymore LP... don't miss it either... in fact nutrition has improved since it was disposed of.
Microwave is great for being lazy with planning, such as being able to defrost things like bread when you want to eat them rather than having to plan hours ahead. I'm not sure what the microwave has to do with "nutrition" - I don't of course try to use it to actually cook anything.

Jackjones1
29th Nov 2018, 21:41
I agree with you Ancient Mariner it is easy to find parts & demos from the internet & if you have a modicum of DIY it can be achieved but we are in a throw away society so the majority just don’t bother!

obgraham
29th Nov 2018, 21:46
Now wait a doggone minute here:
Just acquired one of these American fridge freezer jobbies. Why do we here get blamed even for the Fridge?

There aren't any made in the USA anymore, and OP proudly announced it was a Samsung.

So we should be complaining about "that cheap Korean/Chinese/Malaysian junk".

BehindBlueEyes
29th Nov 2018, 21:55
Now wait a doggone minute here:
Why do we here get blamed even for the Fridge?

There aren't any made in the USA anymore, and OP proudly announced it was a Samsung.

So we should be complaining about "that cheap Korean/Chinese/Malaysian junk".

Actually, I’m beginning to think it IS a piece of junk. Decided I would follow manual - not the boss - turned it on.

Fridge part is working, temp going down nicely. Freezer - nothing.

Turned it off again and going to leave it until morning and try again. Not an impressive start.

ChrisVJ
29th Nov 2018, 22:06
Flash8

You missed out wives.

We bought a 1973 house in Kelowna a couple of years ago. While I was moving an outlet in the basement I had a little problem with the tumble direr, (came with the house.) Turned out it was the connection in the outlet so no major problem but while I was there I checked the serial numbers on the washing machine and drier. They were both from 1975 so they have lasted exactly as long as my wife!

Hope I haven't jinxed anything by mentioning it!

Jackjones1
29th Nov 2018, 22:14
When I got divorced about 25 years ago late mother in law gave me a book “ men only” ........ it was all about cooking meals in a microwave some recipes were not bad!

flash8
29th Nov 2018, 22:43
Microwave is great for being lazy with planning, such as being able to defrost things like bread when you want to eat them rather than having to plan hours ahead. I'm not sure what the microwave has to do with "nutrition" - I don't of course try to use it to actually cook anything.
In my case I was sticking in ready meals all the time... since that is no longer an option and it takes too long in the oven I eat a lot more fruit, salads and fish, cold that is. So for me the advantage was I never have had a ready meal since. Also I tended to stick anything and everything in there to warm up (including cold coffees) probably not healthy either.

Flash8
You missed out wives.Well too old now to trade in Mrs Flash (who is ten years younger)....

gemma10
29th Nov 2018, 23:15
Why are fridge freezers so expensive? There`s bu**er all in them apart from a compressor and motor combined unit, a bit of plumbing and a stamped out metal and plastic shell. I paid over £400 for an upright Samsung five years ago, that is very noisy, has an intermittent thermostat and constantly needs moving from the wall to unblock the evaporator pipe. Modern FF`s are rubbish. My Gran had a Frigidare model for over 35 years before the compressor packed up. If you take a visit down to any council recycling plant you will see every day dozens of the things all lined up waiting dissassembly.

WingNut60
29th Nov 2018, 23:27
When I got divorced about 25 years ago late mother in law gave me a book “ men only” ........ it was all about cooking meals in a microwave some recipes were not bad!

Scrambled eggs in a Pyrex jug --- works excellently.

racedo
29th Nov 2018, 23:29
In this time and age every instruction manual and spare part is available on the Internet.
Google "how to fix, name/model appliance", and chances are you'll find a video.
The drivebelt on our Whirlpool tumble dryer said goodbye. Ordered one from the UK, much cheaper than here in Norway, found a "how to video" and 5 hours later had it up and running.
Very satisfying.
Per

Tenant did that in a house I rented out, he was suitably qualified and stripped it down and replaced the parts. Think they there about 3 yrs, when rent review came I told agent to leave it alone as any tiny increase wouldn't make up for what he saved in repairing stuff.

Loose rivets
29th Nov 2018, 23:37
Electrolux GAS fridge, 1950. Three tiny pilot-light-sized jets burning into a ceramic chimney. It could make ice cubes . . . just.
About 1956 it quit. My manager, boss of a TV shop, said he would tell me how to fix it for the price of a bottle of wondrous apple fizz, made across the road and sold for a tanner. Okay, says I.

I went home and stood the fridge on it's top for a few hours. Can't remember how long I had to leave it upright, but given it had not pump, I suppose it didn't matter. It worked and manager got his fizz.

Some fridges only have the 'energy' pumped into the freezer. The fridge temp is controlled by a stat and some air allowed up into the top half. That ratio is varied with a fan controlled by the customer stat. The bad news is often that there are two stats, the first for the primary cooling of the freezer and that adds to the complexity and cost of repairs.

racedo
29th Nov 2018, 23:38
Why are fridge freezers so expensive? There`s bu**er all in them apart from a compressor and motor combined unit, a bit of plumbing and a stamped out metal and plastic shell. I paid over £400 for an upright Samsung five years ago, that is very noisy, has an intermittent thermostat and constantly needs moving from the wall to unblock the evaporator pipe. Modern FF`s are rubbish. My Gran had a Frigidare model for over 35 years before the compressor packed up. If you take a visit down to any council recycling plant you will see every day dozens of the things all lined up waiting dissassembly.

Bought American style FF in 2004, it was a sale and door came with a bump which they refunded 10% of cost, this after getting free delivery instead of a further discount on sale price when bought.. It has had 3 house moves since and was repaired once about 6 yrs ago for £60. Still does as it is supposed to.

tdracer
29th Nov 2018, 23:41

There is massive difference in price based on what features you decide you must have - I bought a basic upright, freezer on top model with automatic ice maker for a rental a several years back for $400. The side by side, auto ice maker with ice and water in the door I bought for our house at about the same time was twice that but it's what the wife wanted (it was also a bit bigger). However the new one for our house came with a couple pleasant surprises - it works so much better than the old one that that food stays good much longer and freezer burn is now rare. But the biggest plus is how much more efficient the new one is - my electric use instantly dropped by ~8 kilowatt hours/day - or about $20/month off the electric bill. In short, the new one paid for itself in reduced electric usage in ~4 years.
Our house was built in 1979 - I bought it five years later. I've replaced all the kitchen appliances once - the most recent the microwave which finally gave up the ghost two years ago (interestingly the replacement cost less than half what I'd paid for the original - in money that's worth about 1/3 as much :ok: - although I doubt the new one will last nearly as long). The laundry stuff has been another story - 3rd dryer and 4th washer - even though I'm a good DIY and had repaired the old ones more than once (the current pair have not needed any repair - yet). Most frustrating was the previous washing machine - wife and I both really liked it but it started just stopping mid-load. Sometimes I could 'reboot' by unplugging then plugging it back in - but it kept getting worse and wouldn't always reboot. I traced the problem to a printed circuit board - I did an old trick of removing the CB, thoroughly cleaning it with an old toothbrush and alcohol - then reinstalling. First time it worked fine for about six months, second time I did it, it worked for about a month, after than it stopped helping. I'd found a replacement circuit board on-line, but it cost as much as a new washer. So finally I gave up and replaced the whole washing machine. The new one works fine, but neither of us like it nearly as well :sad:

krismiler
30th Nov 2018, 05:46
I'm on my second LG, American style side by side door, ice and water dispenser fridge and it will be my last. The ice maker never works properly and looking at the price of simpler fridge freezers, I wish I'd saved my money. I bought a Maytag top loading washing machine with clockwork controls about 17 years ago which is still going fine, but things aren't built to last anymore.

I avoid electronic controls where possible and also top end brands which can be super expensive to fix when they break. The BEKO brand is attractively priced with a reasonable warranty and I'm considering them next time an appliance needs replacing. On a price divided by days under guarantee formula, with any life after that regarded as a bonus they come out quite well.

currawong
30th Nov 2018, 06:16
Actually, I’m beginning to think it IS a piece of junk. Decided I would follow manual - not the boss - turned it on.

Fridge part is working, temp going down nicely. Freezer - nothing.

Turned it off again and going to leave it until morning and try again. Not an impressive start.

Thats weird. Usually the fridge is cooled with bypass air from the freezer.

I only know this as I pulled ours apart a week ago as it was acting up.

Researched, disassembled where the action happens(inside the back wall of the freezer), bashed stuff and jiggled wires.

And... now it works again.:ok:

BehindBlueEyes
30th Nov 2018, 08:31
Thats weird. Usually the fridge is cooled with bypass air from the freezer.

I only know this as I pulled ours apart a week ago as it was acting up.

Researched, disassembled where the action happens(inside the back wall of the freezer), bashed stuff and jiggled wires.

And... now it works again.:ok:

OK, looks like I might have to eat humble pie. Got up this morning, freezer temp has gone down by 6 degrees, so it IS working. I suppose it’s going to need around 24 hours to level off at its ambient temperature. Not a thing in the instructions about the expected time taken to achieve this though.

Pontius Navigator
30th Nov 2018, 08:34
BBE has gone silent. Last we heard he ignored SWMBO, plugged in FF after 2 hrs and it didn't work.

Is BBE out of A&E yet?

747 jock
30th Nov 2018, 08:50
Random SLF may be quite correct.... after all two postings in six years.... and he felt the need to articulate this :ok:

Are you sure about that?
https://www.pprune.org/search.php?searchid=7486843

BehindBlueEyes
30th Nov 2018, 09:15
BBE has gone silent. Last we heard he ignored SWMBO, plugged in FF after 2 hrs and it didn't work.

Is BBE out of A&E yet?

Mrs BBE now changing her story! She reckons she MEANT to say that the freezer needed 24 to acclimatise and settle to the correct temperature. :ugh: I know who’s right on this one but sometimes you’ve got to pick your battles...

Ancient Mariner
30th Nov 2018, 09:15
OK, looks like I might have to eat humble pie. Got up this morning, freezer temp has gone down by 6 degrees, so it IS working. I suppose it’s going to need around 24 hours to level off at its ambient temperature. Not a thing in the instructions about the expected time taken to achieve this though.
Not impressed by that, should have been down to set temp by that time.
Do you have a "fast freeze" button? Try it if you have.
Per

Gertrude the Wombat
30th Nov 2018, 09:22
Not impressed by that, should have been down to set temp by that time.
Do you have a "fast freeze" button? Try it if you have.
Per
Once Upon A Time there was a separate button labelled "fast freeze". Now you get a touch screen and that function is one of many hidden somewhere in the menus - you'll never find it without reading the book.

30th Nov 2018, 09:27
Got up this morning, freezer temp has gone down by 6 degrees, so it IS working. I suppose it’s going to need around 24 hours to level off at its ambient temperature.
Is the new appliance in the main part of your house or do you have it in a garage or other area (such as a utility room) that may not be too warm?

BehindBlueEyes
30th Nov 2018, 09:36
The appliance is in our kitchen. In the last hour, the temperature has reduced by another 7 degrees - faster than it did overnight. Seems to be gathering momentum! I agree with Gertrude, it’s all touch screen and the only option I could find was ‘power freeze’ which is apparently, for use when you need to “quickly freeze easily spoiled items”

Uplinker
30th Nov 2018, 10:26
..........The front loaders popular in the UK are designed to go wrong.

Not if you buy a decent make such as AEG or Bosch, and are capable of simple preventative maintenance, such as keeping the soap tray and water inlets clean*

A decent appliance costs much more than the budget ones, but I think that sometimes folk want to pay bottom dollar while expecting top dollar performance and longevity.

*The soap tray can be pulled completely out - there might be a tag you need to press to release it. Then using an old washing-up brush or old toothbrush, you clean off all the black mould that gathers around the roof of the cavity and clear the water outlets :ok:

spekesoftly
30th Nov 2018, 10:46
Agree with Uplinker re front loaders and keeping the soap tray clean. It's also a good idea to periodically run the the machine on its hottest wash (empty) to shift any potential build up of congealed soap powder that might cause an internal blockage.

racedo
30th Nov 2018, 14:10
Once Upon A Time there was a separate button labelled "fast freeze". Now you get a touch screen and that function is one of many hidden somewhere in the menus - you'll never find it without reading the book.

Are we Men or Mice..................... who reads the Instruction booklet.

Ancient Mariner
30th Nov 2018, 14:41
Are we Men or Mice..................... who reads the Instruction booklet.
I do, that's why I have four gold bars and a propeller. Or could have had if I could be bothered to buy an uniform. ;)
Per

racedo
30th Nov 2018, 15:27
I do, that's why I have four gold bars and a propeller. Or could have had if I could be bothered to buy an uniform. ;)
Per

LOL.

Its like now when Captain asks is there "A Pilot onboard" and gets 10 snotty nose kids who have aced Flight Sim putting their hand up.

Pontius Navigator
30th Nov 2018, 15:38
Per
My old man was always a picture on the bridge as he set sail. Black jacket, gold braid, cap with scrambled egg at jaunty angle, lovat green slacks and carpet slippers. At least he didn't go as far as the BA captain in black stockings and suspenders.

racedo
30th Nov 2018, 15:43
My old man was always a picture on the bridge as he set sail. Black jacket, gold braid, cap with scrambled egg at jaunty angle, lovat green slacks and carpet slippers. At least he didn't go as far as the BA captain in black stockings and suspenders.

A friend's dad was like that.................. he really looked a picture every time he went to work. Crew members at the Woolwich Ferry, where he worked, thought he was overdressed but no pleasing somepeople.

Ancient Observer
30th Nov 2018, 17:22
From fridge freezers to the Woolwich Ferry, in 54 posts. Did you know that Arsenal soccer club was founded in Woolwich? So this could become a soccer thread?

BehindBlueEyes
30th Nov 2018, 17:32
:D:D:D

And I’ve now got a working fridge freezer, a happy wife, a cold beer and some frozen peas to hold against my black eye!

Got to love Pprune. Always good for advice on anything, plus excellent thread drifts too - brilliant!

NorthernChappie
30th Nov 2018, 17:33
And back to fridge freezers. Mrs NC is convinced that if something touches the inside of the fridge, its causes the fridge compartment to frost up. Consequently, the thing gets used to about 80% of its capacity to leave space around all the contents. Old wive's tale or fact based?

rogerg
30th Nov 2018, 17:36
Best get a "frost free fridge" and freezer. Saves a lot of Hassel.

Pontius Navigator
30th Nov 2018, 19:00
'a full fridge is an efficient fridge '

Fine to fill it with beer - Just don't take them out :)

racedo
30th Nov 2018, 19:02
Best get a "frost free fridge" and freezer. Saves a lot of Hassel.

Frost Free SWMBO is even better idea.

Ancient Mariner
30th Nov 2018, 19:39
Frost Free SWMBO is even better idea.
Can be de-frosted with wine and roses, oh, and lots of money.
Per

Gertrude the Wombat
30th Nov 2018, 21:48
Can be de-frosted ... roses
Doesn't work here - roses only last five minutes and are therefore an expensive waste of money (and I'd probably choose the wrong type anyway). Chrysanthemums are a definite no-no as being Austrian death-weeds (she's half Austrian, and chrysanthemums are funeral flowers, so giving them to a living person is indicating that you wish they were dead).

A careful selection of wild and cultivated flowers from the garden works fine, provided I don't overdo the teasels (about once a decade is allowed as a joke). (And this approach doesn't cost anything.)

ShyTorque
30th Nov 2018, 23:25
Agree with Uplinker re front loaders and keeping the soap tray clean. It's also a good idea to periodically run the the machine on its hottest wash (empty) to shift any potential build up of congealed soap powder that might cause an internal blockage.

Strewth - how versatile is that fridge/freezer?

Pontius Navigator
1st Dec 2018, 08:04
Doesn't work here - roses only last five minutes and are therefore an expensive waste of money (and I'd probably choose the wrong type anyway).

Pah, probably flown in from Bolivia and no scent.

Chrysanthemums are a definite no-no as being Austrian death-weeds (she's half Austrian, and chrysanthemums are funeral flowers, so giving them to a living person is indicating that you wish they were dead).

Interesting, Mrs PN has A smidgen of Barvarian blood and holds the same view.

A careful selection of wild and cultivated flowers from the garden works fine, provided I don't overdo the teasels (about once a decade is allowed as a joke). (And this approach doesn't cost anything.)

It is also fraught with danger as some look their best on the plant and die as soon as you look at them. If you have a Yew Tree and a friendly florist you're in with a chance. See if they will swap for good clean yew.

Uplinker
1st Dec 2018, 10:46
And back to fridge freezers. Mrs NC is convinced that if something touches the inside of the fridge, its causes the fridge compartment to frost up. Consequently, the thing gets used to about 80% of its capacity to leave space around all the contents. Old wive's tale or fact based?

Don’t know, but filling a freezer absolutely full means having to leave the door open for ages while you take half the packets out and put them on the floor * to dig down to what you want, before putting the rest of the packets back in again. So any potential energy savings by having a max full freezer are lost.

I fill ours to about 75% so I can get to stuff without having to take any other packets out, but Mrs Uplinker often fills the freezer so full that the drawers jam.

*(Upright freezer).

Mr Optimistic
1st Dec 2018, 16:24
I'm with Mrs U sadly. First criterion is pick one that won't catch fire.

Saint Jack
3rd Dec 2018, 11:08
Isn't it amazing what you can learn on an aviation website! I would like some advice from all you guys and gals out there regarding my 1-year old LG 2-door fridge. If I close the fridge door (lower) too fast (not excessively fast) the freezer door (upper) will pop open slightly and enough to break the magnetic sealing function. This has only been happening for the past month or so - what is causing this? Any suggestions welcome.

Ancient Mariner
3rd Dec 2018, 11:16
Isn't it amazing what you can learn on an aviation website! I would like some advice from all you guys and gals out there regarding my 1-year old LG 2-door fridge. If I close the fridge door (lower) too fast (not excessively fast) the freezer door (upper) will pop open slightly and enough to break the magnetic sealing function. This has only been happening for the past month or so - what is causing this? Any suggestions welcome.
Check the drains, might be clogged.
Per

currawong
3rd Dec 2018, 12:08

Mine too.

I suspect it is because the two are connected by a duct, that is the fridge is cooled using bleed air from the freezer, if you will.

The "cold air control" in the freezer that I took to be a rheostat is in fact a variable orifice controlling that bleed air.

Uplinker
3rd Dec 2018, 12:26
However, this must have been considered and tested during the design of the unit.

I would therefore say the magnetic door seals are not strong enough for the normal operation of the fridge freezer, and get on the phone for a replacement unit PDQ, before the guarantee runs out.

(Clean the door seals first, a build-up of crud or ice on them could reduce the strength of the magnetic seal).

currawong
3rd Dec 2018, 12:59
However, this must have been considered and tested during the design of the unit.

I would therefore say the magnetic door seals are not strong enough for the normal operation of the fridge freezer, and get on the phone for a replacement unit PDQ, before the guarantee runs out.

(Clean the door seals first, a build-up of crud or ice on them could reduce the strength of the magnetic seal).

I wouldn't call it "normal operation".

The fridge door has to be closed hard, read slammed for it to occur. Overpressure pops the other door open.