PDA

View Full Version : Double bow

finncapt
27th Nov 2018, 07:15
I flew in G-TTNE (BA A320 neo?) the other day and was surprised to learn that the life jacket is secured by a clip arrangement (I do listen to the briefing).

Is this the beginning of the end for "tie in a double bow at the side"?

blue up
27th Nov 2018, 12:17
The RNLI have pushed the removal of tie-in-a-bow likefjackets for years, as have the RYA. The issue for airlines is the need to change them over almost all at once. Very expensive.

The only good thing about tie-up versions is that you can get them very tight which helps to insulate the vital organs due to the presence of an inflated "thermal barrier", whilst also keeping the body in the right position.

Reverserbucket
27th Nov 2018, 13:06
That's interesting - I flew on a couple of BA 320 Neo's recently and wondered why the safety briefs were delivered manually. This could be the reason as the automated version has David Walliams clearly stating that you should tie a double bow at the side.

finncapt
27th Nov 2018, 14:39
I had to smile RB.

Did you not listen to the briefing?

Please don't take that as a criticism but maybe the cabin crew should emphasise that the life jacket is different.

easyflyer83
27th Nov 2018, 19:57
I had to smile RB.

Did you not listen to the briefing?

Please don't take that as a criticism but maybe the cabin crew should emphasise that the life jacket is different.

No, just watch and listen. That’s all it takes.

PAXboy
27th Nov 2018, 20:06
The change to the plastic clip - of the kind now often used on back-packs - has been going on for over 10 years. If I hear 'tie in a double bow' then I know it's an old aircraft.

Davef68
30th Nov 2018, 16:16
Easyjet's Airbuses have always had clipped lifejackets

finncapt
30th Nov 2018, 16:53
PB.

That's quite an interesting comment as I looked at the safety card, which had the correct lifejacket, and it was dated 2005.

That would agree with your posit.

PAXboy
1st Dec 2018, 16:57
I guess it is something that is changed at a D-check or similar. The compressed air canisters will have a best before date but, it might still be cheaper to replace the canister than the whole jacket. Potentially, a carrier might even re-use the old style in new aircraft, rather than buy new. Money will be counted before they change out old ones.

Endeavour
1st Dec 2018, 21:18
That's interesting - I flew on a couple of BA 320 Neo's recently and wondered why the safety briefs were delivered manually. This could be the reason as the automated version has David Walliams clearly stating that you should tie a double bow at the side.

You’ll never see a safety video on a BA NEO as they don’t have the video system installed.

Reverserbucket
5th Dec 2018, 13:03
You’ll never see a safety video on a BA NEO as they don’t have the video system installed.
Thanks Endeavour, yes I see that the NEO's are not equipped and having just completed a couple of trips on two more this week, what a relief not to endure the longwinded 'Change for Good' briefing; first couple of times fine but they wear on you after a while.

Also noticed that the Safety Card has been updated to include both types now.

And thanks easyflyer83, good advice but as a professional pilot who pays close attention to the brief (not least out of courtesy to the delivering crew), I was seated out of sight of the crew members waistline and was unable to clearly determine visually whether a bow was tied or a clip inserted, and the accompanying PA did not seem to elaborate. I notice these jackets have other differences as well.