PDA

View Full Version : BBC Strictly?

GLIDER 90
26th Nov 2018, 23:01
With Strictly Come Dancing being on BBC, I don't know how they can call it a level playing field, with some of the contestants already trained to a professional standard before they go on. While the others are complete novices?

DaveReidUK
26th Nov 2018, 23:42
It's a scandal.

Airclues
26th Nov 2018, 23:55
I think that the voting public are well aware of this. That's why Ashley, who is by far the most experienced dancer, was in the dance-off this week.

BTW, the Sunday programme is recorded as soon as the voting closes on the Saturday night. Why the BBC keep pretending that it's live I don't know. The name of the person to be kicked out is widely available on the internet after about 11pm on the Saturday.

ExRAFRadar
27th Nov 2018, 07:29
Each to their own but in the list of things I don't care about Strictly is right up there.

ATNotts
27th Nov 2018, 08:16
Each to their own but in the list of things I don't care about Strictly is right up there.

Despite the constant self promotion of this piece of televisual froth on just about every news programme they can shoe horn it into, i am yet to be convinced to give up my earlier Saturday evening to watch it.

Plenty of people do - but not me.

Fareastdriver
27th Nov 2018, 09:29
As soon as it comes on the dog walks out with me. Sometimes the dog is first.

Sallyann1234
27th Nov 2018, 09:30
One of my proudest achievements in life so far is never having watched a minute of this programme, or any of the other series featuring 'celebrities' that no sentient being has ever heard of.
But I still have some idea of what they are about, from having been bombarded by 'news' on a daily basis.
It demonstrates that news programmes are now obsessed with viewing figures, instead of covering real news.

Imagegear
27th Nov 2018, 10:13
If you have had a rich and fulfilling life, and are enjoying retirement, there is no time available to waste on this abysmal distraction. I personally cannot stand that bunch of moronic judges braying like asses, and behaving like they are on a one way trip to a happy farm.

IG

Blues&twos
27th Nov 2018, 11:39
The more irritating factor for me with these shows is the dramatic music in the bavkground and the editing to make it appear that it's a life or death situation.
Mostly it's just a bit of cake icing.

surely not
27th Nov 2018, 11:53
How bizarre that people who boast they have never watched the show denigrate it so freely. Is this a form of snobbery at work?

I only started watching about 4 series ago and before watching for the first time I was convinced I wouldn't enjoy it. However it does have skill and achievement in abundance unlike other Celeb shows that I have tried before and now avoid like the plague. I agree with Glider 90 that this year the contest is a little uneven with Ashley and Fay having a lot more experience of performing choreographed moves than any other contestant, however the way that Joe and Stacey in particular have improved from being non dancers to very accomplished performers is amazing and down to a lot of hard work each week in the training room.

Good, honest, entertainment with no violence, bad manners, graphic injuries etc.

Curious Pax
27th Nov 2018, 11:55
Jeez - some people take themselves seriously! Itís entertainment not life and death, even if it is on the BBC. Next someone will be starting a thread complaining that the BBC are showing Itís A Wonderful Life despite everyone knowing Guardian Angels called Clarence donít exist!!

El Grifo
27th Nov 2018, 12:24
Refuse to watch such Guff !
Opium for the Masses !
El G.

NutLoose
27th Nov 2018, 12:35
With El G on this, it's like "I was a celebrity leave me there", another pointless dross to bolster the careers of flagging celebs.

Widger
27th Nov 2018, 12:50
You bunch of crusty old gammons. Your lives must be so special and fulfilling to denigrate what is one of the few wholesome things on TV and in the best traditions of UK variety television. Its appeal is evident with 9 million viewers in the UK and the show's export to over 38 countries around the world, thereby increasing the BBC's income (although that wont matter to all of you with your free licences). Maybe if you spent less time moaning on this forum and more time engaging with other people in the flesh and maybe trying out a few dance moves yourselves, your lives would be so much more enjoyable , which would make you all so less grumpy.

Then again, maybe I have just risen to your bait!

Stacey to win. She has come on leaps and bounds, has an excellent appeal and her wider work on raising environmental awareness is very commendable.

El Grifo
27th Nov 2018, 13:18
Hey Widger, here is another you might like !
Hotbed of intelligent discourse !

"The Jeremy Kyle Show"

Off Sailing :-)
El G.

wowzz
27th Nov 2018, 13:46
It's good clean, family entertainment. Not sure what some if the critics want ? Wall to wall Panorama, University Challenge?

Widger
27th Nov 2018, 14:29

"The Jeremy Kyle Show"

El G.

There is a difference between day time telly when many of us are at work and weekend primetime.

Sailing is so 20th Century

El Grifo
27th Nov 2018, 15:12
Yeah !https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1100x714/fb_img_1543096896923_c729a149a5c9bf526fc1dc81ddf1693705137d4 7.jpg

Pontius Navigator
27th Nov 2018, 15:26
Mrs PN watches so, by default, I do glimpse from time to time. Apart from Anton Dubeck and the one who looks like him, and Kevin from Grimsby, my comments are usually 'which one is the dancer' or 'who is that'.

Mrs PN's mother from Grimsby and a fan of GK, knows the family, nailed it - "I don't watch it any more, it's not dancing as we know it."

BehindBlueEyes
27th Nov 2018, 16:10
https://youtu.be/v7-iyI4Odhc

What was it it said about dancing? It’s the closest thing to *** standing up. Certainly is, when the contestants have to dance the Argentinian Tango. Phwaaar - it’s a bit steamy.

dook
27th Nov 2018, 16:20
The biggest problem is that they are all children and every fourth word is "like".

Airclues makes a good point about the timings. Ridiculous.

GLIDER 90
27th Nov 2018, 16:27
It beats The X Factor anyday!!

Krystal n chips
27th Nov 2018, 17:19
Refuse to watch such Guff !
Opium for the Masses !
El G.

Point of order perlease !

Opium can be very beneficial for the masses, well the legally produced bits anyway.

Had you said, Catalepsy for the masses however.......not that the show is unique in this respect, there are plenty of others to select from in this respect.

El Grifo
27th Nov 2018, 18:53
K&C
Having googled the word "catelepsy", I find myself in full accord, and as such, concede to your more accurate and descriptive terminology :-)
El G.

tartare
27th Nov 2018, 22:21
There is a difference between day time telly when many of us are at work and weekend primetime.

Sailing is so 20th Century
Heheh.
Would like to see you hanging off the wire on a 49er blasting at close to 30 knots across Sydney Harbour, faster than the wind that's pushing you (how is that possible?!)
Or going even quicker on a Nacra 15 with carbon fibre everything (most sailors on them wear crash helmets now).
20th century - pah...

DaveReidUK
27th Nov 2018, 22:25
What was it it said about dancing? Itís the closest thing to *** standing up. Certainly is, when the contestants have to dance the Argentinian Tango. Phwaaar - itís a bit steamy.

As the saying goes, dancing is the vertical expression of a horizontal desire, legitimised by music. Well done properly, anyway.

Clearly, it should be banned from our screens, permanently.

Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells

El Grifo
27th Nov 2018, 23:27
Maserati on the RORC tartare !
Left us Saturday. 1/3 of the way across now !
Chased it for a while :-)
El G

tartare
28th Nov 2018, 03:27
Maserati on the RORC tartare !
Left us Saturday. 1/3 of the way across now !
Chased it for a while :-)
El G

A spectacular photo indeed sir.

B Fraser
28th Nov 2018, 09:13
Not sure what some if the critics want ? Wall to wall Panorama, University Challenge?

Don't be ridiculous. We also want Only Connect, QI and Newsnight.

I'm just waiting for a cookery programme that deals with West Indian recipes. They can call it the Great British Jerk Off.

Pontius Navigator
28th Nov 2018, 10:19
It's good clean, family entertainment.

But that is no fault of the media after the Strictly Curse story.

Widger
28th Nov 2018, 12:40
Heheh.
Would like to see you hanging off the wire on a 49er blasting at close to 30 knots across Sydney Harbour, faster than the wind that's pushing you (how is that possible?!)
Or going even quicker on a Nacra 15 with carbon fibre everything (most sailors on them wear crash helmets now).
20th century - pah...

Okay here you go. I accept its not a 49er or blowing a hooligan or Sydney harbour but.....

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/337x505/contender_88cfe3127199c3e39b1a47ee52cc080614b5d6a9.jpg

Widger - Contender, GP14, Laser 2000, Laser SB3, RS200, RS 400, Topper, Laser, Mirror sailor plus over 3000 miles in Ocean 75, 77 Foot Ketch Rona, Bowman 58, Contessa 38, Contessa 32, Nicholson 55, J105. Yachtmaster Offshore at age 21. Like I said, so 20th Century!!

:p

tartare
28th Nov 2018, 22:55
Glad to see there's another sailing fanatic on the forum Widge.
Come and join us carbon fibre speed freaks when you're ready... ;),

Pontius Navigator
29th Nov 2018, 08:58
Why the OCSET on the sail? 😊

Simmbob
29th Nov 2018, 09:05
Why the OCSET on the sail? 😊

Because every little helps...Ö

Simmbob

El Grifo
29th Nov 2018, 09:05
Come back Widge ! All is forgiven 🤣
You can bring your Telly !
El Grifohttps://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1156/20181124_123217_01_53ebc97144eeb535e6d15c062817bab892c5fd42. jpeg

Pontius Navigator
29th Nov 2018, 12:14
Because every little helps...Ö

Simmbob
I had to check as I thought it should have been ADSA.

Put that down as a marketing fail :)

Dont Hang Up
29th Nov 2018, 12:38
From BBC Strictly to Sailing.
That is pretty serious thread drift. Did someone pull up the centre board?

CargoMatatu
29th Nov 2018, 13:39

"The Jeremy Kyle Show"

El G.

And that lot had the vote !!!:sad:

Simmbob
29th Nov 2018, 15:56
I had to check as I thought it should have been ADSA.

Put that down as a marketing fail :)

I wasn't sure to be honest..

Simmbob

GLIDER 90
29th Nov 2018, 17:54
Is that Darcey Bussell on that yacht?

ExRAFRadar
30th Nov 2018, 08:25
Don't be ridiculous. We also want Only Connect, QI and Newsnight.

I'm just waiting for a cookery programme that deals with West Indian recipes. They can call it the Great British Jerk Off.

Close the thread we have a winner.:D

Airclues
1st Dec 2018, 23:22
SPOILER ALERT

Ashley, despite being a professional dancer (or possibly because of it) was once again in the dance off. I won't spoil it completely by revealing the other dancer, or who won but it is widely available if you care to look.

Effluent Man
2nd Dec 2018, 10:34
Given the success Of this show it seems quite likely that given sufficient hype you could make a sensational success of a competition extolling the drying qualities of various types of paint. I don't mind however that people enjoy it, that is up to them. For myself however I totally fail to see the attraction of dancing.

DaveReidUK
2nd Dec 2018, 12:05
Given the success Of this show it seems quite likely that given sufficient hype you could make a sensational success of a competition extolling the drying qualities of various types of paint. I don't mind however that people enjoy it, that is up to them. For myself however I totally fail to see the attraction of dancing.

I've always been fascinated by the drying properties of paint. :O

Joking aside, if you strip away all the razzamatazz and hype from Strictly, underneath it's a bunch of people striving to acquire and develop a skill that (with a few exceptions) they didn't have when they started out, some more successfully than others.

Granted, it may well be a skill that you don't value, and that's fair enough. Life would be boring if we all liked the same things.

G-CPTN
2nd Dec 2018, 12:17
Whenever there is an activity which attracts a particular sector of society, it is reassuring that they will be concentrated watching that activity rather than interfering with the rest of society.

Pontius Navigator
2nd Dec 2018, 12:23
they will be concentrated watching that activity rather than interfering with the rest of society.

Or more likely, in the case of Strictly, being interfered with.

DaveReidUK
2nd Dec 2018, 13:11
Whenever there is an activity which attracts a particular sector of society, it is reassuring that they will be concentrated watching that activity rather than interfering with the rest of society.

That's being very unambitious. With a bit of effort, you can do both at the same time.

Uplinker
2nd Dec 2018, 14:39
Mrs Uplinker used to be a ballet teacher, so she likes Strictly, and if she is happy, I am happy.

.........and I can ogle the dancing girls and Zoe Ball without being noticed.

42go
2nd Dec 2018, 16:17
SPOILER ALERT - Airclues - no more give-aways please - I want to watch the program tonight and see if Noel Edmunds is in the dance-off.